Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Reverse Kit
Installed it already.
4.69%
Thinking about installing one.
95.31%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reverse Gear?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 04:18 PM
Taranwanderer
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If money was no object, I'd have one in a minute. There's just no reason not to have it. That being said, I want to put some miles on my bike before I make that investment decision!

Old 01-16-2014, 06:17 PM
3/4 life crisis
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by monkyman
I've parked in parking lots with gravel and had my boots slip trying to back up 800+ pounds. It would be a nice option for backing up inclines or uneven ground. Rocking the bike back and forth to get it to roll sucks.

Those that claim that they don't need it have to think about those with shorter legs who are barely flat footed at best, let alone trying to push backwards with just the toe portion of the boot.
Exactly my problem. 29" inseam with a small *** (hip), MeanCityCycles seat mod lowered and forward, front lowered 1", 11.5" Progressive shock, I still can't flat foot.

Like you mentioned, stop light/sign, usually not an issue. Simple task like backing into level parking space WITH handle bar turned is a chore. No leverage with the ***** of my feet since my heels never touche ground.

My calf touching the primary while doing that is no fun in Summer, that SOB is HOT! And I've got burnt mark to prove it, over the years my left calf is simmered to medium rare by now.

Love to have reverse gear, can't get over the price, though.

Last edited by 3/4 life crisis; 01-16-2014 at 07:03 PM.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:31 AM
Cruisineasy1
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Reverse gear would be great. Sure would help parking sometimes..

The following users liked this post:
Haarley (01-10-2020)
Old 01-10-2020, 10:36 AM
Haarley
Road Master
Received 387 Likes on 196 Posts

How much is installation on the Baker F6R?

Old 01-10-2020, 11:22 AM
FrankEV
Road Warrior
Received 799 Likes on 500 Posts

This is a very old thread, but for those just checking this out for the first time and maybe wondering about a reverse on a touring bike, I think my following comments are worth repeating.

My Yellington (Suspension Technologies) reversing pully is the best $$$$ I spent on my bike '19 SGS. https://suspensiontechnologies.com/

As a short legged rider, there is no way I can back up my bike with my legs if there is even a hint of an incline or even a little hump/bump in the paving. With the reversing pully I do not have to worry about where I park. I even back up my 40 ft long slightly inclined driveway each time I return from a ride. Makes leaving the next time out a lot easier than having to turn the bike around each time before heading out.

Yes, the price is close to $2K but you can get it a little cheaper if you catch them at a bikefest somewhere, and they will do the install while you wait...about an hour. I'm sure they will be at Destination Daytona here in Central Florida for the up and coming Bike Week in March.

And I will also state that their customere service is outstanding.

Compared to what a lot of us spend on our scoots...things that really do noting more than maybe add to its looks or comfort or sound...the price of a reverse pully is trully worth every penny to any of us with short or weak legs.

BTW, I also lowered my bike front and rear with ST shocks, and are very happy with them.

Last edited by FrankEV; 01-10-2020 at 11:33 AM.
Old 01-10-2020, 02:04 PM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Originally Posted by Haarley
How much is installation on the Baker F6R?

We say it is a 8-10 hour job for the F6R installation.

You disassemble the trans, press out the the main and counter shaft, press our counter into our trap door, with our shift drum and reassemble. Then you need to wire in the solenoid and switches.

Last edited by corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com; 01-10-2020 at 02:06 PM.
Old 01-10-2020, 07:16 PM
MikeBel
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,491 Likes on 636 Posts

As I get older, and at 5'5" with a bad knee and shoulder already at 59, a reverse option at some point down the road is looking really good for my Road King. This option could very possibly be the difference between keeping the RK or selling it, and I love the bike and really want to keep this bike a long time.

FrankEV (01-11-2020)
Old 01-11-2020, 12:52 AM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 155 Posts

I do not have Reverse on my Harley, but I do have it on my Goldwing. The Goldwing came with it stock. While it has been the extremely rare situation where/when I've actually used Reverse on the Goldwing . . . I've been extremely glad I had it when I needed it.

The following 2 users liked this post by Bluehighways:
FrankEV (01-11-2020), MikeBel (01-11-2020)
Old 01-11-2020, 10:01 AM
FrankEV
Road Warrior
Received 799 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeBel
As I get older, and at 5'5" with a bad knee and shoulder already at 59, a reverse option at some point down the road is looking really good for my Road King. This option could very possibly be the difference between keeping the RK or selling it, and I love the bike and really want to keep this bike a long time.
Oh how I wish I was 59 again. I'm also 5'5 and quickly approacjing 78 Years old. Save up your pennies and get a reverse pully installed, you won't regret it and you will be able to keep the RK as long as your legs will hold you up at a stop for many years to come.

If you are at all mechanically inclined and have a few tools, you can actually install the reverse pully yourself. Their installation instruction video is good. A good Indy should aslo be able to do it for you if needed. Or better yet a nice 6-7 hour ride down to Clearwater Florida, and ST will be happy to do it for you.

Last edited by FrankEV; 01-11-2020 at 10:04 AM.
MikeBel (01-11-2020)
Old 01-11-2020, 10:25 AM
Rob175
Road Warrior
Received 638 Likes on 389 Posts

They need to start marketing to HD and indy shops AND teach them how to install them so they can name them "certified installers". I really don't want to suffer and pay for a shop's first time "learning curve". Having said that I'm guessing that most HD dealers would not install, or aren't allowed to install for a variety of contractual/legal/warranty reasons. My thoughts....nice product, costly when you add in 8-10 hours of install labor........ HD should offer it or of their own design as an option from the factory for their heaviest models.

Quick Reply: Reverse Gear?