Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Centre stands on baggers.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 02:35 PM
Silverstone
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Centre stands on baggers.

Who has a centre stand and are they easy to use? My 2nd bike,a BMW F650 GS,even with full luggage weighs about half of a fully loaded 'Glide. I just step off,hold the bike upright,flip the centre stand down and stand on the lever. The bike just pivots backwards onto the stand,hardly any effort required.
I'd hate to step off my 'Glide and try to pull it back onto a stand.
I'm looking at the H-D part no.91573-06. Can you flip this down and park the bike without getting off?
I DO NOT want to stretch my worm.
07FLHT

Old 01-04-2009, 02:48 PM
spizzyman
Road Master

Well I don't know about your worm or the HD center stand. I do have the WheelDock EZ UP Center Stand (a sponsor on this site) and really like it. I can sit on the bike and roll it back to set on the center stand or pull it up from the side. No issues and a great company to deal with. Hope that helps.

spiz

Old 01-04-2009, 02:50 PM
Raaze07
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spizzyman
Well I don't know about your worm or the HD center stand. I do have the WheelDock EZ UP Center Stand (a sponsor on this site) and really like it. I can sit on the bike and roll it back to set on the center stand or pull it up from the side. No issues and a great company to deal with. Hope that helps.

spiz
+1 on the WheelDock stand. I love mine. Don't pull your worm too long - you can get blisters that way!

The following users liked this post:
M Oclaf (10-03-2022)
Old 01-04-2009, 02:59 PM
Chas63
Tourer

I'm confused. What's the advantage of parking your bike on a center stand unless you are planning to do some maintenance work on it?

It's certainly not difficult to use the Jiffy Stand and in my opinion, the bike is more stable and less likely to turn over on the Jiffy Stand.

So, again, why use a center stand when the Jiffy stand does the job easier and safer, IMO????

Last edited by Chas63; 01-04-2009 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Punctuation.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:05 PM
jkoch09ultra
Road Master

The 09 Ultras are heavier than prior years. They lean over more on the jiff stand and takes a lot of effort to stand it back up. Center stand takes up less room and is easier to use. I sit on mine at rallies and that is a pain on the side stand. You can change oil and is easier to clean the left side of the bike on the center stand. Many advantages to a center stand.

The following users liked this post:
JTM65 (10-08-2022)
Old 01-04-2009, 03:06 PM
EGlideKid
Road Master

Again, +1 on the Wheeldock ezup stand. Think of all the times you clean, tinker, perform maintenance, showoff, add/remove parts, check air pressure, clean the rear tire, etc. IMO, Harley needs to wake up and install a real one (at least as an option) on their bikes. To my knowledge, the HD stand you're referring to is not a ride-off stand and I believe it cuts back on cornering clearance (ok guys, correct me if I'm wrong!)
EGK

Old 01-04-2009, 03:23 PM
Chas63
Tourer

I guess it's just a difference of perspective. I'm over 60 years old and weigh only 170 pounds and I have no trouble at all getting my bike off the Jiffy stand.

I test rode an 09 Ultra and parked it several times and had no trouble getting it back upright to ride again.

As for sitting on the bike, again, I feel safer with it on the Jiffy stand because I know it's almost impossible to turn it over that way unless I really do somethig stupid. OTOH, on a center stand, it's all a matter of balance. If you lean too far in either direction, the bike could tip over. Also, if someone bumps the bike while on a center stand, there is less resistance to tipping over because the legs of the center stand don't stick out nearly as far to the side as does a Jiffy stand.

As for cleaning the left side of the bike, I have no trouble cleaning it on the Jiffy stand.

As for checking tire pressure, it's actually easier on the Jiffy stand because the tire valves are on the right side of the wheel and with the bike tilted to the left on the Jiffy stand, it's easier to reach the valves.

Oh well, I guess we all like different things. I just didn't understand why some people seemed so excited about a center stand....... and still don't.

Old 01-04-2009, 03:37 PM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 211 Likes on 101 Posts

I'll vote yes on the Wheeldock stand also. GOt it, like it, good for cleaning the wheels and tires all the way around. Do this by putting a 1/2 inch piece of plywood under the stand area. Does take a bit of force for this but nice way to detail.

Old 01-04-2009, 03:54 PM
BCguy
Road Captain

I use a Wheeldock and like it a lot. Wouldn't be without one. I guess if you never had a centre stand you don't know how handy they are. Should be stock on all touring bikes.

Old 01-04-2009, 05:42 PM
Mike5959
Road Warrior

when the bike is on the wheeldock how hard is it to push forward and knock it off? Is there a tab like the jiffy stand?

Quick Reply: Centre stands on baggers.