Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fairing removal and speaker installations. *Complete How To Pictorial*

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 12:17 AM
GasCan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fairing removal and speaker installations. *Complete How To Pictorial*

I've had a lot of people send PM's asking me for pictures and info on fairing removal and speaker installations since doing my last stereo installation on a previous bike. Many of those pictures were lost over time and today I took a full series of pictures while upgrading speakers on another bike and it's now posted for those who want to see how it's done.

This is a pretty basic procedure for many, but I know there are others out there who don't normally work on their bikes and have been asking how it's done. The info is posted in the "Do it Yourself Help Forum" under Electrical & Lighting for those who want a step by step tutorial on fairing cap removal and the upgrading of fairing speakers. Here's the link to the post and hopefully it will become a "Sticky" before I inadvertently toast the pictures again.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/elect...tallation.html

Old 01-11-2009, 03:29 AM
Rafkin
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice post, saving it for my own upgrade. Do you recommend insulating inside the cap or no need?

Old 01-11-2009, 05:58 AM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 701 Likes on 349 Posts

Good tip about lubing the longer speaker mount screws with soap. I had to do that just yesterday. This was AFTER I stripped the head of one of them and had to get a new one. With a little soap they go right in.

Old 01-11-2009, 06:04 AM
nolafishr
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about Us RG Owners, is there a post with Pics like this for Us? I plan on upgrading My Speakers along with a Amp, I would like to see the Fairing Removal process for these Bikes. I did have a Batwing so I am familiar with that.

2009 Road Glide - Red Sunglo

Old 01-11-2009, 06:33 AM
Raaze07
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by stro1965
Good tip about lubing the longer speaker mount screws with soap. I had to do that just yesterday. This was AFTER I stripped the head of one of them and had to get a new one. With a little soap they go right in.
I was thinking the same thing, when I removed my Hog Tunes from my trade-in I was worried about how hard it was to re-install the screws, didn't think to use some soap to lube them up. Great tip - I'll remember that when I put them in the Ultra.

Old 01-11-2009, 08:55 AM
atrain68
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the post. The Hog Tunes addition is going to be part of my Winter project.

Old 01-11-2009, 09:02 AM
marvincbr
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by nolafishr
What about Us RG Owners, is there a post with Pics like this for Us? I plan on upgrading My Speakers along with a Amp, I would like to see the Fairing Removal process for these Bikes. I did have a Batwing so I am familiar with that.

2009 Road Glide - Red Sunglo
I have the fairing off of mine right now waiting for speakers/amp/xm to get here so I can install. It doesn't seem that much different from the batwing fairing. Pretty much the only thing that I could see as different is unplugging two head lights

Old 01-11-2009, 09:07 AM
hawg08
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wish I'd seen this before I did mine. The soap trick would have made things a whole lot easier. Thanks for the tip!

Old 01-11-2009, 09:07 AM
DamifIknow
Road Warrior
Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts

how about posting some pics of removing, realigning and reinstalling the ignition switch after changing the inner cap.

Old 01-11-2009, 09:11 AM
GasCan
Outstanding HDF Member

Been a while since I've had the Roag Glide fairing off. If I recall, it's very similar except you have to push the front of the fairing and lift it up to unhook it once the screws are removed as it has mooring hook to hold it up onto the frame. Next time I have mine off I'll take some pics.

Quick Reply: Fairing removal and speaker installations. *Complete How To Pictorial*