Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear turn signal connectors

Old 01-19-2009, 09:07 AM
ncbeast
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear turn signal connectors

I am changing the rear turn signal light bar to something different. I want to keep the oem lightbar/wires and connectors incase I trade or sale the bike later I can switch it back so I do not want to just cut the connector and use them. I need either just the connectors which I think maybe AMP connectors they connect to the turn signal wires and then plug into the taillight board. Not sure if I can find the connectors if you have to have a special cremp tool and pins to make the pigtail, or are there pigtails with the connectors already on there that I can find and just soder and heat shrink my new wires on.

I want to find the connectors or pigtails to avoid just splicing into the wiring harness some where.

I have not stopped by the dealler to ask them if they have the connectors or pigtails....yet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:19 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

The connectors are HD part no. 73156-96BK; the sockets for the wire ends are 73191-96. IIRC, they are AMP connectors and sockets. I've done a bunch of crimping AMP and Deutsch sockets and pins using a Philmore WS-26 tool; $7.99 at Fry's Electronics. But these particular connectors are very small and I found that I got better results having an HD tech do them using a better (and far more expensive) crimping tool.

The parts info is from my '04 parts book. You can confirm them at the dealership for your bike.

Good luck with your project.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:59 AM
ncbeast
Road Master

Thanks Harleypingman, I guess there is not a place where I can get the connectors already on some wire where I could just soder them to my new turn signals? Would I be better off just trying to find a damaged light bar off of the board or ebay and cutting the connectors off and using them?

Do you or anyone happen to know what year they started using them so I can look for a used light bar?

Thanks again.

Old 01-19-2009, 02:07 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

For me it's easier to buy the connector and sockets at the dealership and have a tech do it for free--they're good guys and I periodically provide a dozen donuts in the morning or a twelve pack of beer on a Friday afternoon to keep their morale up. And I don't ask them to do anything but maybe a couple of times a year.

Can't help with the model year question.

Old 01-19-2009, 05:03 PM
skyking
Tourer

You can buy the connectors at the dealer. They are really inexpensive. I just changed out my rear light bar for a Street Glide set up. I used a pair of pliers to crimp the connectors. Took some time and patience, but worked fine. If you want to go the other route, I have the stock rear turn signal bar from my 09 Ultra. Its in perfect condition and comes with both amber and red reflectors. Shipped to your door for $40.