Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for 103 Stage 2 Owner Feedback

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 02:10 PM
mhud
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for 103 Stage 2 Owner Feedback

Hi guys, I'd appreciate some feedback on your builds. I'm trying to make a decision on upgrading my 08 RG, stock engine except for stage 1, SE A/C and Fatcats 2-1. I'm looking for more low end torque for mountain riding and passing quickly when necessary. I normally ride in the 2200 - 3400 range; I don't care about doing burn outs or the highest top end speed but I do want to notice a substantial power increase when I twist it! I also care about durability.

I had decided on the HQ 103; it's about $3300 installed and tuned but with the economy like it is and job security not as certain as it used to be I'm thinking if I can get a good increase in power and save $1,000 or $1,500 that be a good thing. From my local HD I can get a 103 stage 2 with 255 cams installed and tuned for $1400 or the same package with new heads for $2200. My thinking is if I am going to spend the $2200 for HD parts I may as well go the $3300 for HQ. So I'm really interested in how those who had the 103 stage 2 with cams like the set up. If folks are happy with that $1400 sounds like a deal but if most of you are wishing you had more then I should pass.

Those of you who have done the stage 2 (103 with 255 cams) are you happy with the increase? Would you do it again?

Do you wish you had head work done at the same time? My dealer is suggesting the headwork (ported and polished by a local who built engines for the HD dealer owner).

Thanks so much for your help, sorry this is so long. There was a similar thread sometime ago but I searched and even looked back at the past 50 pages with no luck.

Attached Thumbnails Looking for 103 Stage 2 Owner Feedback-100_1541.jpg  
Old 01-24-2009, 03:27 PM
cropsure
Cruiser

I had the 103 stage II installed on mine before I ever picked up the bike. So far I am very pleased with the performance. I had a 07 FLHX that was stock except for a stage 1 air cleaner and exhaust and I can tell a huge difference. If I had it to do again I might consider doing the top end but for what I do (which is one up touring) its really all I need. Good luck in your decision.

Old 01-24-2009, 04:10 PM
saw*me
Tourer

Mine was also done new. All I can say is I tap the wife on the knee so she'll hang on before I ever roll hard on the throttle.

Goodluck

Tom

Old 01-24-2009, 04:15 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

A search will give you a lot of threads to read with a lot of posts.
I was giving this some serious considerations. Then I read a thread about 103 up grades and then there was a post about cams only. I figured since I already have the Stage 1 kit I would save some money by upgrading the cams only when I had the 30,000 miles service. Did not cost me to check the cam chain shoes since I was changing cams. 2 birds with 1 stone you might say. I had the cams changed and got what I wanted with less $$ spent. I did go with the SE 255 cams and there is most likely better choices out there. I was looking for TQ only. The cams pull good from 2,200 rpms to 4,000 rpms. 6th gear slag as I call it is no more. I figure if I still wanted to go with the 103 later then I only needed to bore the cylinders change pistons and have the head work done. It is easier for me to pay less at one time and still get what I want in the end.
My mpg did not change
I really like the extra pulling power I got. I do have to watch the throttle because it revs so much easier now.
Just a thought
Jim

Old 01-24-2009, 05:12 PM
TODDNVAL
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

mhud

I have had several post about my recent 103 build on my 09 Ultra. Click on my user ID and go through my post, that way I don't have to get lengthy, I'm bad for that. The short and sweet about it is I am very pleased and I have less than $1500 in mine including the SEST and a dyno tune. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:12 PM
GScotty
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the 103 Stage II on my 08 Ultra. As you can see in the dyno below I am pulling
88.53 H.P. and 103.44 torque. That is with NO headwork.
So far I am real happy with the whole install. Some guys are reporting that they are
having hot start problems with the 103 but I have not experienced that at all.
Good luck with your decision.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:39 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

I was happy with mine. Did it prior to delivery on my 07. Stage 2 103", V&H true duals/ovals, with SERT and dyno tuned. Installed and tuned by dealer. I specifically told them I wanted it tuned for good overall performance/fuel mileage/longevity, and NOT to try and squeeze out every last bit of power if it conflicted with that goal.

Got 81 HP and 102 ft lbs. Was really happy with the power boost, no problems at all.

FWIW, I went with the HD kit to:

1. try and maintain the warranty (NEVER a certainty... but this way is the best bet)
2. I wanted something the shop was familiar with
3. Did not want to experiment with mix and match from var vendors. K.I.S.S.

I was never out for massive performance. Just a nice power bump with as few hassles as possible. Never had any issues whatsoever. However, only got about 14,000 miles on the bike before I sold it to move to the 09, so as far as long term, I cant say.

Last edited by flyingace; 01-24-2009 at 09:41 PM.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:20 AM
XTrooper3936
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtdobber
A search will give you a lot of threads to read with a lot of posts.
I was giving this some serious considerations. Then I read a thread about 103 up grades and then there was a post about cams only. I figured since I already have the Stage 1 kit I would save some money by upgrading the cams only when I had the 30,000 miles service. Did not cost me to check the cam chain shoes since I was changing cams. 2 birds with 1 stone you might say. I had the cams changed and got what I wanted with less $$ spent. I did go with the SE 255 cams and there is most likely better choices out there. I was looking for TQ only. The cams pull good from 2,200 rpms to 4,000 rpms. 6th gear slag as I call it is no more. I figure if I still wanted to go with the 103 later then I only needed to bore the cylinders change pistons and have the head work done. It is easier for me to pay less at one time and still get what I want in the end.
My mpg did not change
I really like the extra pulling power I got. I do have to watch the throttle because it revs so much easier now.
Just a thought
Jim
I'm sure your cams alone upgrade has given you a nice increase in power and performance and I'm glad to read you're satisfied with your investment. Now, if you want an even more impressive bump in power, especially in the torque department, take the 103 cid route.

Believe me when I tell you, there's a lot of truth in the old hotrodders saying, "There's no replacement for displacement." More cubes equals more torque and it's the most effective way to gain it.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:31 AM
monkish
Road Master

I have the 103 with head work and 258 cams. I am very happy with the results. It sounds like with the RPM range you are riding in, you could change to an Evo 30 tooth drive sprocket and be good to go. Then if you still want more, go with a build or cams. The sprocket is a great way to add some bottom end at a very little expense. I had that set up on a previous 07 SG with HQ 500 cams. I am actually going to change my sprocket on my current bike to the Evo pretty soon.

Good luck with your choice.

Last edited by monkish; 01-25-2009 at 08:53 AM.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:57 AM
IceHeritage
Road Master

I have a 103 with SE Heads and 211 Cam and it was well worth it,

Quick Reply: Looking for 103 Stage 2 Owner Feedback