Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Complete Biketronics / Hogtunes Installation Completed-Full Pictorials Provided

Old 01-27-2009, 09:07 AM
GasCan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Complete Biketronics / Hogtunes Installation Completed-Full Pictorials Provided

Hey guys,

Just wanted to let you know that the aftermarket stereo installation is now complete with full pictorials included for each step of the installation process. Tutorials include fairing removal and speaker install in a Batwing, Aftermarket Head Unit installations with Amplifier and Speaker Upgrades, and the final one includes Hogtunes Lower Fairing Kit with another set of aftermarket Speakers. Installing the amplifier includes the steps necessary to remove the fuel tank from the 09 bikes and might prove helpful to some.

Batwing Fairing Removal with Speaker Upgrades & Installation - Part I https://www.hdforums.com/forum/elect...tallation.html

Biketronics Installation, Head Unit, Retro Kit, Amplifiers, Speakers - Part II https://www.hdforums.com/forum/elect...s-part-ii.html

Hogtunes Lower Fairing Speaker Pod Installation - Part III https://www.hdforums.com/forum/elect...pictorial.html

These installs should help any novice installer complete their own upgrades of a head unit, fairing mounted amplifier/s, speakers in both fairing/lower fairings, and how to remove parts of the bike that are affected with this type of install. Hope this helps many of you and perhaps we can suggest this post becomes a sticky thread in the touring section.

This is my way of giving back to the forums.

Cheers...G

Last edited by GasCan; 01-27-2009 at 03:25 PM.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:18 PM
XTrooper3936
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up

I already did my installation last summer, but these illustrated instructions are outstanding.

Great contribution, G!

Old 01-27-2009, 12:49 PM
Taylorized
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by XTrooper3936
I already did my installation last summer, but these illustrated instructions are outstanding.

Great contribution, G!
Been there too.

Old 01-27-2009, 12:55 PM
flhrbill
Club Member
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Fantastic, step by step instructions and I loved the pics. My 2001 RK was totaled in May which forced the purchase of a 09 EGC, my first bike with a radio. I do agree the sound from the stock system can be improved and your instructions almost make me want to do the conversion this winter. I do have a question regarding the hand controls. Do the hand controls continue to work with the new system? If I chose to replace the speakers only would I hear an improvement?

Thanks

Old 01-27-2009, 03:14 PM
Candy Red Road Glide
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very impressive write ups...is it safe to say you think the biketronic speakers out did the hogtunes?

Old 01-27-2009, 03:41 PM
GasCan
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by flhrbill
Fantastic, step by step instructions and I loved the pics. My 2001 RK was totaled in May which forced the purchase of a 09 EGC, my first bike with a radio. I do agree the sound from the stock system can be improved and your instructions almost make me want to do the conversion this winter. I do have a question regarding the hand controls. Do the hand controls continue to work with the new system? If I chose to replace the speakers only would I hear an improvement? Thanks
Hand controls will work with most aftermarket head units that have a remote input but Sony incorporates 100% full control through the Biketronics Retro kit. It plugs into the new deck and then directly into the Harley harness to facilitate the handlebar controls.

Yes you will notice a difference in sound with a simple speaker upgrade in the fairing but more power is also needed to hear it over the pipes or at higher speeds where wind noise is prevalent. The stock speakers are poor quality and can be upgraded with any 5.25" speaker of choice. I would suggest the Hogtunes speakers myself, but there are plenty of options out there.

Originally Posted by Candy Red Road Glide
Very impressive write ups...is it safe to say you think the biketronic speakers out did the hogtunes?
Not at all as these are two entirely different speakers. The Hogtunes speakers are great for a simple swap out/upgrade in a bike or for use with the amplifier available from Hogtunes. I used the Hertz Titan speakers from Biketronics because this system was upgraded with the Power Block BT-480 amplifiers. They put out 180 watts per side and will kill most ordinary speakers so an upgrade was performed for this reason alone. I have Hogtunes in my other bikes and they work great.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:13 PM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

great threads, very helpful and informative

Old 01-28-2009, 09:05 AM
flhrbill
Club Member
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for the info. I think I'll upgrade the speakers with HOGTUNES. Any amplifiers you suggets for the added power?

Old 01-28-2009, 09:51 AM
GasCan
Outstanding HDF Member

My advice to you on amplifiers should remain neutral as there are many good products out there, but I would recommend you speak with the manufactures who support the Harley Davidson Forums and/or the Motorcycle Industry and determine which product fit your needs, and your budget. There are amplifiers that fit in the fairings that are capable of delivering anywhere from 20 watts per channel all the way up to 180 watts per channel.

These products include the following vendors and manufacturers.

http://biketronics.com/ (Ask for Mike Meehan)

http://hogtunes.com/ (Ask for Pez or Lori) (Pez is also on HDF)

http://hawg-wired.com/ (Sold through HD Dealerships & Distributors)

http://www.arcaudio.com/ (Firecap501 on HDF)

My best advice to you is to ask all the questions that you may have concerning the power you want, the listening levels you desire, the clarity of their products, the types of power supplies they use, the types of amplifier class & technologies they use, and the types of protection they offer through design of there products. Some include products designed specifically for use in motorcycles, and some include lifetime warranties on the products they develop or sell. Perform your due dilligence on each product and you alone can make an informed choice. Hope that helps you get started.

Cheers!

Old 01-28-2009, 10:17 AM
skydoc
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hard thumpin' batwing combo with 6.5's - easy plug n' play!

Last edited by skydoc; 02-17-2009 at 08:23 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Complete Biketronics / Hogtunes Installation Completed-Full Pictorials Provided