Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Short or Stock Antenna?

Old 01-31-2009, 08:44 AM
swlamedic
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Short or Stock Antenna?

I went though 7 pages of forums under the touring section, and I find it hard to believe that nobody talked about antennas. I am sure I missed something, or looked in the wrong place.

I have a 2007 Ultra Classic and I am considering putting on a pair of short antennas from J&M, because they look nice. They say that with these, you get "a slight reception distance loss on AM or FM, compared to the stock antennas, may be experienced, because of the significant reduction in overall antenna length". I already get bad radio reception, and VERY crappy CB reception. I guess we are supossed to listen to the radio or talk to truckers on the highway? I know Harley probably meant for us to us the CB to talk to other bikers in our group, within close range.

So, with that said, I always listen to a CD, and use the intercom to talk to my wife on the back. That is the reason I considered putting the shorty antennas on, because I really don't use them. I might use them if there was a good short antenna, and maybe some sort of booster I could put on them.

Old 01-31-2009, 09:10 AM
Old Bones
Road Master

Try the search button, this is a well talked about subject.
Oh, I kept my stock antenna until I find one better.

Old 01-31-2009, 09:27 AM
sat4314
Road Captain
Received 1,735 Likes on 81 Posts
Default antenna

I have the HD fm shorty on my 2009 street glide and my buddy has both on his 2008 ultra. No loss of reception and looks much better.

Old 01-31-2009, 09:34 AM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 460 Likes on 211 Posts

I usually listen to mp3's on the bike. I very seldom use the am/fm radio. I put the J&M shorty on my sg because I liked the way it looked, and I liked the short antenna being out of my way when getting on and off the bike. I didn't think I lost any reception. I thought it worked just as well as the stock, but I hadn't used either enough to really know.

Then one day a bud and his woman were sitting right beside me and my wife in a parking lot. He has stock antenna. There was a song on KSHE 95 playing on his radio that my wife wanted to listen to. His was very clear, mine was not clear enough to listen to.

I still have the shorty on because I don't use the fm radio very much. If the radio was important to me, the stock antenna would go back on.

Dennis

Old 01-31-2009, 09:38 AM
spizzyman
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put the Harley shorties on my bike because the previous owner cut the stock radio antenna and took off the CB antenna. It looks much better now and I believe my reception will be better (when I get the chance to get on the road) due to the fact the previous stock antenna was not stock length when I got it.

spiz

Old 01-31-2009, 09:41 AM
swlamedic
Tourer

Yeah, I'm new to the forums, and I found another thread on this subject. I think I might try one of those hidden antennas, they say they work good, and then put the shortys on just for the looks. I don't think the bike looks right with nothing back there.

Old 01-31-2009, 09:54 AM
gambler
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

These antennas seem to be popular and perform well. I have one for the CB, and a cheap auto parts store rubber ducky for the AM/FM.

http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail....D=HFCA-09&PF=6

Old 01-31-2009, 10:09 AM
katobird
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

no CB but for 5.99 I uinstalled a Auto Zone rubber ant. for the radio.

Old 01-31-2009, 10:11 AM
Biggie
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently put the HD Shorty antenna's on my ultra. They look good. I did lose a little reception range on the radio though, but not much. The CB is still the same with about 1.5 mile range. Ususally just talk with my buddy.

Here are the part numbers:
HD Shorty AM/FM antenna #76388-08 $29.95
HD Shorty CB Antenna #76386-08 $29.95

Last edited by Biggie; 01-31-2009 at 10:13 AM.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:23 AM
rags
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the J&M shortys but I never use the cb and rarely listen to the radio. On the occasions that I do listen to the radio the J&M works fine for me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Short or Stock Antenna?