Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Batwing Fairing Vibration Repair

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 10:07 AM
Basz
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Batwing Fairing Vibration Repair

Has anyone used this kit from Savior to repair Batwing Fairing Vibration?

http://www.savior250psi.ca/QuickRepair_about.html

Old 02-01-2009, 10:55 AM
swlamedic
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I looks like it is just a bushing and a bracket. From what I have read it seems it is a fix for the vibration of some sort of onboard compressor that is used to air tires, or shocks. I am not sure.

I have problems with my batwing squeeking when I come to a stop at a light, and it gets on my nerves, but, vibration has never really been that much of a problem for me.

Old 02-01-2009, 11:18 AM
twistedcherokee
Road Warrior
Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I may have to check on those. I live on a gravel road & have had to weld the brackets several times. Been going to brace where it cracks but have wanted to ride more so just rewelded them.

Toby

Old 02-01-2009, 11:30 AM
Eyespy
Road Warrior
Location: Southern California High Desert, here and there....
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've replaced the left horizontal bracket and have welded together both the left and right broken vertical fairing brackets. In case something breaks again, I might give one of these a try, nice find.

Old 02-01-2009, 11:33 AM
Eyespy
Road Warrior
Location: Southern California High Desert, here and there....

Originally Posted by swlamedic
I looks like it is just a bushing and a bracket. From what I have read it seems it is a fix for the vibration of some sort of onboard compressor that is used to air tires, or shocks. I am not sure.

I have problems with my batwing squeeking when I come to a stop at a light, and it gets on my nerves, but, vibration has never really been that much of a problem for me.
Nah, it's for repairing a broken batwing fairing bracket without welding, which is a huge PITA cause you have to take it all apart to fix. Sounds like you have a broken bracket also. Way too common...

Old 02-02-2009, 01:35 AM
Berndude
Tourer

Other then removing the front fairing what are the signs that there may be a problem??

Old 02-02-2009, 08:35 AM
rjmac53
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Great link...

Old 02-02-2009, 09:18 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Berndude
Other then removing the front fairing what are the signs that there may be a problem??
If you don't want to remove the outer fairing, you can hold the handlebar grip with one hand and push the outer edge inner fairing with the other hand. There should be very little movement of the fairing. If the fairing bracket is broken, the fairing will move quite a bit. Repeat to check the other side.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:20 AM
NewHarleyGear
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I have replaced my left side. Next time I will try the kit. Looks like it would handle the vibration better.

Old 02-02-2009, 10:47 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

You can fix broken vertical brackets without spending any or much money. With limited expertise and tools for working with metal I was able to do it, so most everyone should have little trouble. I did a write-up here after discovering that I had both the left vertical and right horizontal brackets broken. I fixed the broken left and strengthened the right vertical in such a way that I think will hold for the long-term. Time will tell, but if the fix breaks you can always fix it again with something stronger.

The design of both types is weak, IMO, and I couldn't figure out a way to improve the wimpy horizontal brackets made by HD. Howerver, someone who posts on Harley Tech Talk's Twincam Swap Meet forum makes SS versions of the horizontal brackets for $55 including shipping. The cheap HD brackets are $8, IIRC, but they will just keep breaking every year or two. I may go for these to prevent breakage when replacing is inconvenient, like on a trip. BTW you must register with HTT to gain access to the Swap Meet forums.

Last edited by iclick; 02-02-2009 at 11:02 AM.

Quick Reply: Batwing Fairing Vibration Repair