Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best fix for wind buffeting on a Street Glide?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 06:48 AM
rkadair
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

forks baffle and 9" clearview no problem here with my FLHX Im 6' 1"

Old 02-02-2009, 06:48 AM
StreetGeezer
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nosillyname
Hey StreetGeezer, go and look up "buffeting" in the dictionary.... We all like the wind, thats why we ride, but buffeting is a different story.
Duh, geez! What's causing the buffeting? Water? I'm 6'2" and still don't feel buffeted.

Old 02-02-2009, 08:19 AM
MassHD
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cobra I was thinking the same thing. I have to HD solo brawler that puts me down close to two inches. The wind buff is different on that seat vs my sundowner. It's almost like you need different shields for different seats. I'm 6'0 and the 8" might work with my solo but I might need the 9.5 or 10.5 for the downer.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:45 AM
bighaeb
Advanced

Originally Posted by rkadair
forks baffle and 9" clearview no problem here with my FLHX Im 6' 1"
and are u wearing a full face? if so,which one?

Old 02-02-2009, 06:37 PM
JohnScrip
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bighaeb
Ummm, I don't think you understand the level of buffeting I'm talking about. It's to the point where I'm sure anyone would pull over after about an hour or less of it. I don't care if I can feel the wind. I don't care if my helmet moves around every once in a while. But I do care that my helmet rumbles so hard, that it screws with my vision greatly.

In other words, this motorcycle is worthless to me if I can't ride it on the highway. That's what I bought it for....And it's currently a dangerous setup for me.
After one of my first "reasonably long" rides (it was only a couple hundred miles) on my Street Glide, I felt horrible. Stopped by the Doc the next day and was told in no uncertain terms that I had a concussion.

From riding.

Seven (eight? Maybe nine...) shields later, the chrome fork dinner plate and the dragonfly wings on the side and I'm somewhat better off. But undoubtedly, the most comfort/least buffeting I've had is when I took off the helmet. Half, 3/4, full-face - Made some difference (half being the least obnoxious), but nothing cured it.

If it helps, the shield is a 12" (Memphis Shades?) with the black gradient -- Keeps the "designer's intention" nicely and offers goof protection.

Personally, I prefer a face full of wind. But I'm in the same boat - If I can't even see because my eyes are rattling around in my skull, I'm not going to stay upright very long. There's a big difference between your glasses bouncing around on your nose and your brain bouncing around inside your head.

Last edited by JohnScrip; 02-02-2009 at 06:40 PM.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:28 PM
bighaeb
Advanced

Well, after all the great suggestions, I think I'll give it a shot with the fork mounted air baffles and dragon fly wings on the fairing. I'll go from there if I need to.

Thanks for all the replies thus far!

Old 02-02-2009, 08:45 PM
Trock
Outstanding HDF Member

I had buffeting with the stock windshield. I replaced it with a 8in Cee Bailey [non recurve] and I have very little now and I'm a little taller than you. I even rode one weekend with just a ball cap at highway speed. Like some have said if I put my knees against the tank or move them away from it makes a big difference of how much comes from under the fairing.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:18 PM
mrmike38z
Advanced

I bought these.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3AIT&viewitem=

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3AIT&viewitem=

I didn't go by my height because everybody has a different size TORSO. I sat on my bike in riding position, someone held a tape measure to the top of the fairing and extended it until it was about 4" below my eyes. That is the height you need. I chose 10" and the 2 side wings and I have no problem with the wind at all. A old wise Harley tech told me to keep the windshield about 4" below your vision line to get the correct line of sight and proper wind deflection. Try it out. Worked for me.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:26 PM
bighaeb
Advanced

Originally Posted by Trock
I had buffeting with the stock windshield. I replaced it with a 8in Cee Bailey [non recurve] and I have very little now and I'm a little taller than you. I even rode one weekend with just a ball cap at highway speed. Like some have said if I put my knees against the tank or move them away from it makes a big difference of how much comes from under the fairing.
Good to know. First I've heard of moving your knees.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:40 PM
marcparnes
Road Captain

Here is a very long thread with lots of ideas: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...rom-below.html

Marc

Quick Reply: Best fix for wind buffeting on a Street Glide?