Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Primary chain auto tensioner question

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 06:43 PM
RoadHog659
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Primary chain auto tensioner question

I've read a number of posts about noisy primarys that were fixed by "pushing the auto tensioner to the next notch". Is this something that can be easily done? I get a lot of rattling from my primary in the upper rpm ranges when shifting thru the gears and it sounds to me like I have a loose primary chain. '09 Ultra, Stage1, Dyno-tuned Jackpots with about 18,000 miles on the odometer. I've snugged down just about every bolt and nut in the area around my primary and can't find any other explanation for the rattle. I've tried the 3X quick start and stop routine, but that didn't seem to quiet my primary, either. Any way to manually push the tensioner wedge up a notch?

Old 11-03-2011, 10:15 PM
wwceaton
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've tried the 3X quick start and stop routine also and it did not work, the sound was driving me nuts.
So under waranty the dealer removed the outer primary cover and manualy adjusted it to the next notch, Noise is now gone and after 5000 miles i am still very happy.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:44 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

older outer primary covers had an inspection/ adjustment hole for the manually adjusted shoe, nowadays the outter primary has to be pulled---

no big deal BUT-- disconnect the battery first.
other wise it is possible to activate the starter by manipulating the starter gear and primary drive.

this means the starter moves the chain, the fingers get plucked off.

really. doesn't matter where the keys are, or what switch is on or off--- if the battery cable is connected...

don't tension the chain too much, this can wear the bearings on the motor left side, the compensator, the clutch basket and drive bearing. stick to spec.

--- and are you sure that's where the noise is?

slack chain can slap around inside the cover, but there are lots of sources for noise on a bike, use a rod pressed to your ear to locate the source of the noise ( or stethoscope if you have)

mike

Old 11-06-2011, 09:28 PM
RoadHog659
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar
--- and are you sure that's where the noise is?

slack chain can slap around inside the cover, but there are lots of sources for noise on a bike, use a rod pressed to your ear to locate the source of the noise ( or stethoscope if you have)

mike
Took advantage of the mild weather in Ohio today to do some more listening to my primary. Two things I did before heading out on a ride: (1) Tried the 3X quick start and stop routine again; (2) closed the adjustable lower vents. I can't say that my primary is as quiet as it used to be, but there is certainly less rattling going on now. Maybe I actually coaxed the auto tensioner up a notch, or maybe I was simply hearing the adjustable vents rattling around at higher rpms, but either way it's not nearly as noisy as it was before. If we get any more decent riding weather this season (it's Ohio, anything can happen weather-wise), I think I'll try removing the adjustable vents just to see if the rattle disappears completely. It would be a nice surprise to fix my primary by working on the vents.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:11 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

I have asked before but got no answer......how much chain play should there be with the auto tensioner?