Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Confused over Silverstar Headlights - ST vs Ultra & older bikes vs newer

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 07:00 PM
karz10
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Confused over Silverstar Headlights - ST vs Ultra & older bikes vs newer

I've searched the forums and read numerous threads about headlights for harleys.

I've read how some have gone HID from FastHarley, which involved putting in a new bulb w/ extra wires for a battery run and a balast run, since the HID needs a balast somewhere, but you get to use your original light housing (on some models anyway)

I've read how some have used their 05 or newer housing, or swapped out an 04 or older housing w/ the new housing to run halogen lights like Silverstars, w/ mixed results.

Some claim that w/ the HID set up, or the Silverstar set up, they see better at night, but some complain that daytime running may not be as noticeable as before, and so they run on brights all the time.

Some claim that w/ Silverstars they had a short life span. Some claimed the life span was just fine as long as you used:

* x% said must use H4 ST since the Sylvania site says they're made for motorcycles.
* x% said must use the new Silverstar ULTRA 9003 replacement for H4 bulbs

I'm wondering for those that had problems, were they using a light suitable for motorcycles? Right now the Sylvania website is crashing or loading slowly, making this post much harder to write since I can't link to anything. But on their site when you go to high performance lighting, it shows a picture of the new Ultras, like these ones from Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Sylvania-9003-...3616687&sr=1-6

But when you go to their more info link on the Silverstar products, you don't see 9003/Ultra listed anywhere http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProd...r/ProductLine/ you only see the 9003 ST, no indication of the Ultra product line at all, nothing indicating whether a 9003 Ultra would be suitable for motorcycles, but yet some people on here swear by them, while others diss them.

On that Sylvania link you do see the H4 ST and it indicates use for motorcycles, like this one from Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Sylvania-H4ST-...616687&sr=1-11

So can anyone explain that w/ any factual data to confirm whether the Ultras are recommended for motorcycles, like the H4ST is?

Also, someone said if you had the old style lenses, like on my 03 RKC, w/ the ridges in the glass, that they recommended getting the newer clear lense like on the 05's or newer, and then getting these Silverstars.

However, at least one person commented that he thought his older lense cast more light out in different directions, compared to the new clear lense, which had a more focused projection of light. Not so much in his ability to see, but more in the way he was perceived by oncoming traffic. He said that he thought the old lense was easier to notice from multiple angles compared to the newer lense.

So, my second question is, if I have the old style glass lense w/ the ridges that came stock on the 03 RKC for example, can I still attempt the upgrade in light, like either the H4ST, or the 9003 ultra H$ replacement, w/out hurting anything?

I mean for $15-$20 I don't mind trying a new bulb in my existing housing. And I don't know that I'm opposed to spending a little/lot more to either get the new clear lense w/ better lamps, or even go to HID, at some point in the future. However, I certainly don't want to spend that kind of money only to regret it from a daytime visibility stand point. I can't run a modulator on HID, so that concerns me, I'd like to have the option at least to run a modulator.

So, ideally I'd like to try one of these bulbs in my existing housing, figure out which one is better H4ST or 9003 Ultra, and possibly try a modulator. I figure if I did swap lenses, the bulb and modulator should still work with it, so why not try it on my existing housing first. I'd appreciate answers to the above questions, and thoughts on this logic.

Thanks.

Old 02-02-2009, 07:21 PM
karz10
Road Master

I did find the contact us page on their site, but who knows what kind of reply I'll get, or when, so feel free to help out if you know. Even if they answer, I'll still need help w/ the specific questions about the various lenses, and general feedback. Here is what I sent them:

On this page: http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProd...r/ProductLine/ it lists Silverstar products, including the H4ST halogen bulb recommended for Motorcycle use.

However, on some of your other pages, you tout the new and improved ULTRA Silverstar product line, that doesn't appear to be referenced at all on this product matrix. You do have a 9003 ST, but I don't see a 9003 Ultra, which on other sites claims to be an H4 replacement.

If I have an H4 bulb in my motorcycle, which one of these bulbs will be the most efficient, brightest, and longest lasting bulb available from your company?
Thanks.

Old 02-02-2009, 07:34 PM
wolfshead1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question is too straightforward,they are not answering and I'm sure of it.

Old 02-02-2009, 07:51 PM
run1fsr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

FYI - I installed the Silverstars on my Fat Boy with a clear lens. No obvious improvements over the original amber 1157 bulbs.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:39 PM
hover
Road Captain

All I know is that I used the automotive 9003 or 9004 Silverstar in my last bike. They are awesome. Don't know much about the motorcycle version, but it probably stands up to more vibration than the one for autos.

Old 02-02-2009, 10:05 PM
karz10
Road Master

Originally Posted by run1fsr
FYI - I installed the Silverstars on my Fat Boy with a clear lens. No obvious improvements over the original amber 1157 bulbs.
I'm referring to the headlights specifically, trying to narrow down the proper silverstar headlight for the older headlight lense w/ the glass ridges in it, like on an 03 Road King Classic, as opposed to the 05/newer *smooth* (called clear) lense (w/ no ridges).

I'm guessing by your comment mentioning no improvement over the OEM 'AMBER' lense, that you were not talking about a headlight. Sorry if I confused anyone, or wasn't clear I was talking about headlights.

Feel free to add if you have any experience w/ the headlights, or if I misunderstood your post.

Thanks.

Old 02-02-2009, 10:10 PM
karz10
Road Master

Originally Posted by wolfshead1
Question is too straightforward,they are not answering and I'm sure of it.
Who is not answering? you think Sylvania won't answer my question? I guess time will tell, I only asked it tonight, we'll see...

Old 02-02-2009, 11:35 PM
2007 ultra c
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put a automotive silverstar bulb in my ultra. Has about 12,000 mi on it without a problem. Its true its not too noticeable on low beam in daylight

Old 02-03-2009, 06:38 AM
hojones
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

The ultra bulb is nothing more than the next version of the Silver Star. It is some brighter than the St but as with the ST the lifespan is shorter. I have used them both and the Ultra is really bright. I would have reservations on using them in these new headlights because of the way the housing gets that milky haze in it. jmo.

Old 02-03-2009, 06:42 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

PIAA rocks!

Quick Reply: Confused over Silverstar Headlights - ST vs Ultra & older bikes vs newer