Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Glide Fog Lights Aux Switch Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 06:45 PM
Bull_Duck
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road Glide Fog Lights Aux Switch Question

Looking for advice from riders that have connected HD fog lights on a Road Glide to the AUX switch.

I will be connecting the HD fog lights to my 2008 Road Glide's AUX switch next to the cruz control switch on the dash.

I bought the HD fog lights to install on my 2008 Road Glide. My search of this forum found discussion about these lights and alternatives. Other threads assured that the fog lights will work on the RG even though the HD catalogue indicates they won't work. I like how the HD fog lights look and work on my Deuce, so thats what I decided to stay with.

I want the AUX switch to be able to turn on and off the fog lights. I want the fog lights to be off when the head lights are powered off.

I am new to the Road Glide. How to get at the switch? What is the best way to run the ground and power lines? Anything else I should be taking note of when installing the fog lights and connecting the AUX switch?

Many thanks?

68913-98B
Engine Guard-Mounted Fog Lamp Kit

Old 02-08-2009, 09:49 PM
SPARKY01
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

easy to do. to do correct remove the tank and run wires in the spine of the bike. the wire for the headlight wires into one wire of the headlights. kind freaks you out to splice in but no big deal. then instead of installing the on/off switch, cut the wires and wire into the aux. switch. takes about 2-3 hours.

Old 02-09-2009, 06:14 AM
Bull_Duck
Tourer

Originally Posted by SPARKY01
easy to do. to do correct remove the tank and run wires in the spine of the bike. the wire for the headlight wires into one wire of the headlights. kind freaks you out to splice in but no big deal. then instead of installing the on/off switch, cut the wires and wire into the aux. switch. takes about 2-3 hours.
I have removed the Deuce gas tank several times. PITA. So would prefer an alternative to gas tank removal.

You are saying as an alternative I can splice line from the fog lights via the Aux switch onto the wire powering the dual headlights without drawing an overload current from the headlights' wire

Old 02-09-2009, 06:46 AM
Sincecrazy
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

I would add a relay, under the seat. Use the wire from the aux switch to fire the relay. The plug for the aux switch is under the side cover. Which side I dont remember right now. Lights should only work with the switch engaged and the ignition switch in the on position, and possibly the acc position as well.

Old 02-09-2009, 06:53 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member

Received 449 Likes on 244 Posts

The unit comes WITH a relay..... I installed my HD fog lights with the supplied switch, attached as shown on the plans. right by my left thumb... easy to reach

Old 02-09-2009, 07:39 AM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

You can hook to switch by using the outlet in front of battery,it has a plug in it,just buy the power outlet kit Harley has and use the harness connector part to plug in to the harness,light kit comes with relay

Old 01-28-2010, 06:39 AM
rdbateman
6th Gear

bull duck,
how did you make out with the fog light install? i want to do the same thing on my 06 RG. ihave already purchased. Just trying to figure out how to wire to aux switch. did you run wire to low beam and do you know if that is necessary? i would like to be able to use lights day or night. low beam and high beam. would appreciate any info. Thanks

Old 01-28-2010, 09:30 AM
HalfFast
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rdbateman
bull duck,
how did you make out with the fog light install? i want to do the same thing on my 06 RG. ihave already purchased. Just trying to figure out how to wire to aux switch. did you run wire to low beam and do you know if that is necessary? i would like to be able to use lights day or night. low beam and high beam. would appreciate any info. Thanks

Check out this thread. The way he did it will do what you want to do. The wiring should be the same on both your bike and his.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...road-king.html

Old 02-07-2010, 12:35 AM
summeroftom
6th Gear
Default Installed Kuryaken driving lights on my 01 Glide

http://newtonhills.blogspot.com/2009...eft-hands.html