Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many hours to mount the Custom Auxiliary Lighting Bracket Kit

Old 02-11-2009, 10:37 AM
Johan96
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default How many hours to mount the Custom Auxiliary Lighting Bracket Kit

Hi

I see many has the auxiliary lightning on their street glides.

How many hours will it take to mount it?

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

Old 02-11-2009, 10:46 AM
Raaze07
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Johan96
Hi

I see many has the auxiliary lightning on their street glides.

How many hours will it take to mount it?

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US
I want to say it took me 4 hours, but most of that was spent running around to friend's houses and auto parts stores trying to find someone with a crimping tool for the terminal connections. That and fishing the wires through the new brackets were the only difficult parts of the install. I ended up using small precision needlenose pliers to approximate the factory crimp, then I used electrical solder on the "crimp" to ensure electrical continuity.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:18 AM
oinker02
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Raaze07
I want to say it took me 4 hours, but most of that was spent running around to friend's houses and auto parts stores trying to find someone with a crimping tool for the terminal connections. That and fishing the wires through the new brackets were the only difficult parts of the install. I ended up using small precision needlenose pliers to approximate the factory crimp, then I used electrical solder on the "crimp" to ensure electrical continuity.
I've ran into the same problem when attempting to crimp most HD electrical pins....the danged crimp tools can cost up to 300 bucks!

I'm going to suggest you approach your dealer service dept and ask what they charge to supply and install the lighting. Perhaps they will give you a break on patrs cost and install.

Your other option is to check local indies to see if they have proper crimp tools to do it right.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:35 AM
Raaze07
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oinker02
I've ran into the same problem when attempting to crimp most HD electrical pins....the danged crimp tools can cost up to 300 bucks!

I'm going to suggest you approach your dealer service dept and ask what they charge to supply and install the lighting. Perhaps they will give you a break on patrs cost and install.

Your other option is to check local indies to see if they have proper crimp tools to do it right.
I was going to run down to the dealer during my install and have them crimp the ends on for me, but it was a Sunday and they were closed. Since I had the fairing opened up I had to figure out a way to finish the job so I could ride to work on Monday. I'd love to get my hands on one of those crimping tools though...

Old 02-11-2009, 11:42 AM
Mathews2
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It has been awhile but I think it took me about 1.5 hours. not really hard just a PITA

Old 02-11-2009, 01:03 PM
HarryDavidson
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Took me about 1.5 hours. You can get a terminal crimper at most auto parts stores that will handle ignition terminals and will work just fine, or as mentioned have the dealer crimp that one wire for you.

Harry

Old 02-11-2009, 01:44 PM
Dr. Combustion
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A little under two hours for me, but I modified the installation so the lights are on whenever the low beam is on. The aux lights on my crash bar are on when the high beam is on.

Old 02-11-2009, 05:05 PM
HarryDavidson
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

The lights are on when the low beams are on by default. I modified them to stay on with both high and low beams.

Harry

Old 02-11-2009, 07:28 PM
Dr. Combustion
Cruiser

Not necessarily as there is a swtch to turn them on and off. My setup uses no switches.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:17 PM
rugguy51
Advanced

It took me about 2.5 hours for install. I found a crimping tool online that worked great. Google BCT-1 crimping tool. Got mine from B@C Specialty Products Inc. out of Newton, Kansas. It has 5 different crimping sizes. And also handles from 16 to 30 AWG wire. Good Luck

Last edited by rugguy51; 02-11-2009 at 08:21 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How many hours to mount the Custom Auxiliary Lighting Bracket Kit