Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat Pads: Opinions on Gel, Sheepskin or Air?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 09:41 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Seat Pads: Opinions on Gel, Sheepskin or Air?

Tell me what ya' think....which one is better for the long haul?

Old 02-11-2009, 10:14 PM
TODDNVAL
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I tried a gel pad last spring on our Florida trip and it helped a little but I wasn't impressed with it, I'm thinking about sheepskin. I have some friends who have the sheepskin covers and swear by them.

Old 02-11-2009, 10:23 PM
RDKingRider
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the sheep skin and have had it for 3 years and still love it for the long hauls

Old 02-12-2009, 12:43 PM
TRUBRIT
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had a gel insert put into my seat in place of some of the foam. It made a bit of a difference but for the long haul I like the Air Hawk. Expensive but if you shop around you can find them for a decent price.

Old 02-12-2009, 12:49 PM
KoalaCowboy
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TODDNVAL
I tried a gel pad last spring on our Florida trip and it helped a little but I wasn't impressed with it, I'm thinking about sheepskin. I have some friends who have the sheepskin covers and swear by them.
+1 on sheepskin. People I've talked to about 'em say the Sheepskin seems to breathe better.

Old 02-12-2009, 01:01 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

I have the gel Pro Pad, the gel Butt Buffer and the Alaska sheep pad....Alaska pad is best by me....I do have the HD Sundowner seat and feel it's the best HD seat I've ever had...very comfortable.....

Old 02-12-2009, 01:16 PM
HDRider2002
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a Gel pad for my seat that i use on longer trips. I find it helpful to "rotate" using it that way it changes the places that i feel pressure and gives some relief. I still wish i had my Pillow-Look seat instead of the SunRay Heated seat that the wife wanted

Old 02-12-2009, 01:21 PM
wbeem
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can just imagine sitting on a sheepskin after a good rainstorm. Since I live in Central Florida, there's just no way I want something I can't wipe dry with a rag or towel.

A friend of mine tried the Air Hawk on a long ride and said he was really impressed with it. Never tried it myself, but I trust that he was being honest with his comments.

For myself (as I've probably stated somewhere here before), I prefer Corbin saddles. They're firm and provide good support. I've never found a cushy saddle to be very good for more than an hour, and after that you get a tail burn that just ruins your ride.

Gels seem to work better when you're pressing down and can relieve your pressure (like in your gloves on the grips), but not so much for supporting your entire weight. They also eventually break down and fail to provide support for your body. You end up getting hot spots after a while.

Old 02-12-2009, 01:32 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

If your reasonably happy with your seat the sheepskin works really well. (Alaskan)
As for getting wet, the Alaskan is removeable in about 2 seconds.

Old 02-12-2009, 01:35 PM
flhrbill
Club Member
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

My wife loves the gel pad for our weekend rides but when we are doing long trips, we put the sheep skin over the gel pad. Long trips are more than 200 mile rides. Right now I simply lay the sheep skin on the seat but I'm thinking about bringing it somewhere to have it custom sewed around the seat.

Only problem with the sheep skin is after it has rained.

Quick Reply: Seat Pads: Opinions on Gel, Sheepskin or Air?