Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SE 255 Cams with stock displacement .... Money well spent?

Old 02-17-2009, 02:41 PM
KoalaCowboy
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree on 103" kit.

103 Stage II or 103 Stage II, but look at doing the SE258 cam for the Stage II.

I'm doing the 103 Stage III on my new bike. Best performance for the guys who've done this here in Colorado!

The 103 kit(s) will give you damn near 110" hp/tq, without the fuel mileage hit / heat.

There are also 3rd party options that a number of forum members have done, with great results too! If you are wanting to keep the bike pure H-D, the 103 Stage II (with SE258 CAM) or Stage III would be 'my' choices.

Old 02-17-2009, 03:18 PM
SlimsSG
Tourer

Concrete Cowboy,

You have to ask yourself a few questions in order for you to land on a specific cam to meet your goal(s).

1. What type of riding do you do (1 up, 2 up), horsing around with the fellas every now and then, mountain/twisties
2. Where in the RPM range are you looking for the throttle response? Early/mid, or mid/late rpm's.

Many very good cam choices out there as other have posted, and several choices from different mfg's (both HD and aftermarket). It's best to begin with anwering these questions, as well as others (cost, time, how deep you want to dig into the engine - if at all) to point you in the right direction.

I just finished a cam upgrade for my 2007 - and couldn't be happier with the end results (performance, cost, level of difficulty, etc.).

Old 02-17-2009, 03:21 PM
wbeem
Tourer

Originally Posted by KoalaCowboy
If you are wanting to keep the bike pure H-D, the 103 Stage II (with SE258 CAM) or Stage III would be 'my' choices.

Nah. I went Stage IV with the SE260 CAM. The engine parts arrived at the dealer yesterday and they started work. Now I'm just waiting on my exhaust to arrive so I can start breaking in the new engine.

Old 02-17-2009, 03:44 PM
KoalaCowboy
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by wbeem
Nah. I went Stage IV with the SE260 CAM. The engine parts arrived at the dealer yesterday and they started work. Now I'm just waiting on my exhaust to arrive so I can start breaking in the new engine.
Yeah...I forgot to include the Stage IV. Must be the lack of riding that is killing my brain cells.

Is it late March yet?

Old 02-17-2009, 04:25 PM
hd0wner
Cruiser

Originally Posted by SlimsSG
Concrete Cowboy,

You have to ask yourself a few questions in order for you to land on a specific cam to meet your goal(s).

1. What type of riding do you do (1 up, 2 up), horsing around with the fellas every now and then, mountain/twisties
2. Where in the RPM range are you looking for the throttle response? Early/mid, or mid/late rpm's.

Many very good cam choices out there as other have posted, and several choices from different mfg's (both HD and aftermarket). It's best to begin with anwering these questions, as well as others (cost, time, how deep you want to dig into the engine - if at all) to point you in the right direction.

I just finished a cam upgrade for my 2007 - and couldn't be happier with the end results (performance, cost, level of difficulty, etc.).
1. What type of riding do you do (1 up, 2 up), horsing around with the fellas every now and then, mountain/twisties All the above

2. Where in the RPM range are you looking for the throttle response? Early/mid, or mid/late rpm's. Early/Mid

What would you suggest besides the 255 that comes with the STGII kit?

Old 02-17-2009, 04:49 PM
Concrete Cowboy 2009
Cruiser

Originally Posted by hd0wner
1. What type of riding do you do (1 up, 2 up), horsing around with the fellas every now and then, mountain/twisties All the above

2. Where in the RPM range are you looking for the throttle response? Early/mid, or mid/late rpm's. Early/Mid

What would you suggest besides the 255 that comes with the STGII kit?
I agree. I want to horse around, but I want to haul the Mrs. too. Early to Mid does strike my fancy.

All this is helping thanks!

What I'm hearing around home is stock displacement, 211 cams, breather, pipes, and tuner will generally satisfactory. However, is it worth the money to do the 103" kit for the difference in performance?

Old 02-17-2009, 04:56 PM
SlimsSG
Tourer

You can use the following links to help you narrow/determine something that fits your needs (borrowed from another site/thread).

you can do a side by side cam comparison right here.....
http://www.bigboyzcycles.com/tccams.htm

then, if you want to know what the cam numbers mean....
http://www.*****************/forums/v-...bers-mean.html

Old 02-17-2009, 05:31 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I just did what you are getting ready to do but I used Head Quarters 500 cams.
After the dyno tune I got 90 HP and 93 Torq.
Thats from a 96" engine with a Fat Cat and a Big Sucker and Harleys SERT.

Attached Thumbnails SE 255 Cams with stock displacement .... Money well spent?-copy-of-dsc02572.jpg  
Old 02-17-2009, 05:45 PM
thereal142
Road Captain
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

The best thing I did for my bike was throw out the 255's...no more ping, starts way better when hot, and is way quicker and smoother. I recommend Andrews 37's in a mild 96" motor, and 31's in a mild 103" motor...

Old 02-17-2009, 05:50 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,039 Likes on 3,711 Posts

If you concerned about your warranty being honored across the country, then Stage II 103" with 255 cams is just about your only choice. The other options don't qualify. I had mine done for about $1500 and the result is a very strong runner from low end to midrange.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SE 255 Cams with stock displacement .... Money well spent?