Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone agree, Conventional Trans Lube is better then Full Synthetic Trans Lube

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 11:48 AM
amervtwin
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone agree, Conventional Trans Lube is better then Full Synthetic Trans Lube

ok, this is my second time trying Full Synthetic Trans/Gear Lube and for the second time I'm draining it out and going back to Conventional Trans/Gear Lube. First time tried it on my 00 Fatboy, didnt like the way it shifted or felt, now thought I would give it another try in my 06 SG (Mobil One 75-90) because all the hype about Full Syn Lube and same result, I dont like the way it shifts or feels when shifting, so Im going back to Coventional. I use Full Syn in the motor but not again in the Trans, Has anyone else had this experience?...

Old 02-17-2009, 11:56 AM
TexasSG
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Put Redline in mine at 1k. The first gear engagement at idle "CLUNK" is less, the 5th gear whine is all but gone and shifting seems normal. What kind of shifting problems are you having?

Old 02-17-2009, 12:03 PM
HD Renegade
Road Warrior

I run Amsoil in mine. 20 degree less in temp, and it run quieter too. I will never run a standard non-syn oil. Make sure you are running an oil with a shear factor for gears, the HD Syn 3 does not have a shear factor and is not really a gear oil, or full syn either.

Just my .02 worth

Bob

Old 02-17-2009, 12:08 PM
amervtwin
Novice
Default no problem

Im not having any trouble shifting, I just dont like the way it shifts or feels when shifting, I think the Conventional is smoother...

Old 02-17-2009, 12:17 PM
garyhendley
Outstanding HDF Member

AMSOIL SEVEAR GEAR is proven better the any other dino or synthetic the 75/90

works great in the tranny shifts smoother and lowers the noise not sure what you

put in your tranny but try amsoil-RIDE SAFE

Old 02-17-2009, 01:33 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

My experience was different. I change to Mobil one 75-90 in my 02 RKC and it shifts "a lot" better. In fact my bike use to jump out of gear if I didn't make a good solid shift and that hasn't happened since I switched 5000 miles ago. I do have a little whine I didn't have before when the oil warms up, but nothing that would make want to switch back.

If the whine was a problem for me, I would just hope over to the store and try Amsoil! WAIT A MINUTE, they don't sell Amsoil in stores near me.

Beary

Old 02-17-2009, 01:50 PM
wbogley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I could not get my bike into neutral with formula plus. I now use amsoil gear oil and it is so easy to find neutral.

Old 02-17-2009, 02:12 PM
UltraTheo
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Redline Heavy Shockproof. You will never go back to anything else.

Old 02-17-2009, 02:24 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by garyhendley
AMSOIL SEVEAR GEAR is proven better the any other dino or synthetic the 75/90
Can you show evidence for this claim? I've never seen this and would be eager to study it.

Old 02-17-2009, 02:28 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Try a thicker synthetic gear oil in your 6-speed tranny. I'm running Redline Shockproof Heavy now but have also used Royal Purple 85w140, and I can't feel or hear any difference between the two. Both were improvements over 75w90 in noise and clunkiness, and any heavy gear oil should be fine, even a fossil variety. There should be no decrease in lubricity or noise changing to a non-synthetic, and in fact the synthetic should be the superior lubricant.

Quick Reply: Does anyone agree, Conventional Trans Lube is better then Full Synthetic Trans Lube