Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just installed security system on my 08 FLHT

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 02:37 PM
JustDennis
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Smile Just installed security system on my 08 FLHT

I just had the security system installed on my 2008 EG. It didn't come with one but I found one pretty cheap on ebay and bought it. I called the dealer and asked if they had to do a flash for it to work and if I could intall. The dealer said yes to both but if Installed it then I would have to trailer the bike in becasue it wouldn't start. I asked how much for the flash? $68. So I asked how much to install the TSSM and flash? - $68 So I asked how much to install, flash and install siren? $68.

So I bought the Smart Siren II kit and had them install both and do the flash. Before I went I read about how it works on the forum here. When they started telling me how it worked I could tell I knew more about it than they did. Once again, this forum pays off!

For what it is worth, I really like the security system and siren. Now I wonder if I should get a pager?

Old 02-23-2009, 02:44 PM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Well...I honestly can't say whether or not the dealer was being straight with you or not because both my '03 Ultra and my '08 came with security, however they did not have the siren installed. I installed it on both bikes without any problems and never needed to have the bike flashed...here again they already had the base secuirty system already installed.

Old 02-23-2009, 02:49 PM
JustDennis
Road Warrior

You can definitely add the siren without having it flashed but my bike did not have a security system at all and since it didn't cost anymore I went ahead and let them install the siren for me. They were going to charge me an hours worth of labor either way so I thought I woudl try to get my money's worth.

Old 02-23-2009, 02:51 PM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts

My SG also came with the alarm already installed. Didn't have a siren. From information from the forum installed the radio shack part #273-079. Cost something like 5 dollars.

Old 02-23-2009, 03:01 PM
bnelele
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 08 ultra classic with the security. I bought the pager and I have to say it works pretty neat. When I am away I can set it to vibrate and feel secure that someone is not messing with the bike when it is out of sight. It has a pretty good range but it depends on the area you are in. None the less if I am sleeping in the motel and the bike is outside it makes me feel a little bit better knowing the pager will go off

Old 02-24-2009, 06:46 AM
JustDennis
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by bnelele
I have an 08 ultra classic with the security. I bought the pager and I have to say it works pretty neat. When I am away I can set it to vibrate and feel secure that someone is not messing with the bike when it is out of sight. It has a pretty good range but it depends on the area you are in. None the less if I am sleeping in the motel and the bike is outside it makes me feel a little bit better knowing the pager will go off
DId you get the rechargeable one or the one with batteries?

Old 02-24-2009, 11:18 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

I bought the security system from Zanotti's for my '07 SG last September and paid my local dealer $37.50 (min., 1/2-hour) to install and activate it, which is required. I also bought a spare fob on Ebay for $18 shipped, which was brought in with the SS since it needed to be programmed too. A few days later I purchased a Radio Shack piezo siren (#273-079) for $6 and installed that myself using the tutorial in the DIY thread. Works fine, so for about $285 I have a Smart Security System with spare fob and siren--a lot cheaper than had the security system and HD siren been installed from the factory and the spare fob purchased new.

Last edited by iclick; 02-24-2009 at 11:21 AM.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:44 AM
JustDennis
Road Warrior
Cool

Originally Posted by iclick
I bought the security system from Zanotti's for my '07 SG last September and paid my local dealer $37.50 (min., 1/2-hour) to install and activate it, which is required. I also bought a spare fob on Ebay for $18 shipped, which was brought in with the SS since it needed to be programmed too. A few days later I purchased a Radio Shack piezo siren (#273-079) for $6 and installed that myself using the tutorial in the DIY thread. Works fine, so for about $285 I have a Smart Security System with spare fob and siren--a lot cheaper than had the security system and HD siren been installed from the factory and the spare fob purchased new.
I bought the security system cheap on ebay for $117 with 2 fobs, bought the siren II from my HD dealer for $80, paid them $68 to install it all, so in total I have just $265 in it. So I also have the full system (all HD) for less than it would have cost as an option. Hadn't thought about that.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:00 PM
honestbob
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My 08 FLHT came with the security system stock. It was not listed on the invoice or on the price tag. I bought the siren and the pager. put them on myself. What was your build date? Mine was 02/08. I would recomend the pager if you plan on staying in motels.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:50 PM
Beattle55
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jrsess
My SG also came with the alarm already installed. Didn't have a siren. From information from the forum installed the radio shack part #273-079. Cost something like 5 dollars.
Does the Radio Shack part plug right in or did you have to do some wiring for it to work. Does it work off of it's own battery"

Quick Reply: Just installed security system on my 08 FLHT