Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help with Lower Fork Swap!

Old 02-25-2009, 07:00 PM
gliderman
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help with Lower Fork Swap!

Bike is a 06' Street Glide. I'm changing out the lower fork slider for chrome.
Got the stock slider off and not sure about proper procedure from here. I have the manual, but it isn't very clear, at least not to me.

With the lower slider off, this leaves the fork seals, spacer washer, slider bushing and then the fork leg bushing on the upper fork. The bottom fork leg bushing prevents all of the above from sliding off the fork leg. Does this need to be pryed off in order to remove the old seal?

Once removed, what is the procedure for getting the new seal on? Can't seem to grasp the concept by looking at the setup. I thought the new seal was seated into the top of the chrome lower slider? How do you get the seal along with the spacer, bushing, etc up into the upper fork after seating it? Seems like I would need to take the upper fork off of the bike to seat the new seal and bushings, etc??

Maybe I'm making this harder than it needs to be, but I sure could use some help.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:30 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 701 Likes on 349 Posts

You need to drive that new seal about 1/2 down into the top of the new slider. I have no idea how you would do that with the fork assembly still in the triple trees, although I read all the time that guys are doing it. With the assembly off the bike it's pretty easy. I use a piece of PVC pipe that I've split down the center and then draw it up to the right size with large hose clamps.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:38 PM
gliderman
Road Captain

Well I also thought that the upper fork did NOT need to be taken out to do the lower fork swap. Maybe I was wrong? I can understand how it would be done if you were not replacing the seals...

Old 02-25-2009, 07:43 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,943 Likes on 1,703 Posts

You talking about the section I outlined in the red box?

Attached Thumbnails Need Help with Lower Fork Swap!-013.jpg  
Old 02-25-2009, 07:45 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by gliderman

With the lower slider off, this leaves the fork seals, spacer washer, slider bushing and then the fork leg bushing on the upper fork. The bottom fork leg bushing prevents all of the above from sliding off the fork leg. Does this need to be pryed off in order to remove the old seal?
I put a flatblade screwdriver in the slot of the bushing and turned it sideways GENTLY so as to not nick the leg or anything.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:56 PM
ezlife
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used the old seal as a cushion for new seal install, flipped it, slid it on the fork above new seal, slid on PVC, and tapped PVC driving old into new and new into place. Make sure it seats fully so clip retainer seats fully into groove around inside of lower.

No big deal, careful to properly torque 6mm bolt holding fork into lower slider and fill to proper amount when done.

"Dawg"s 1 1/2" PVC idea worked great when I did mine last year.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:07 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by ezlife

"Dawg"s 1 1/2" PVC idea worked great when I did mine last year.
see attached

Attached Thumbnails Need Help with Lower Fork Swap!-262.jpg   Need Help with Lower Fork Swap!-261.jpg  
Old 02-25-2009, 10:31 PM
gliderman
Road Captain

Originally Posted by dawg
I put a flatblade screwdriver in the slot of the bushing and turned it sideways GENTLY so as to not nick the leg or anything.

Yes, this is the same area I'm talking about. So you pryed the bushing off with a screwdriver and then what? I understand how the pvc will seat the new seal, but I don't see how you can do this from the bottom up. Wouldn't you have to do it from the top down? Meaning you have to take the upper leg out of the triple tree and then re-seat everything from the top down....

Old 02-25-2009, 10:42 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member

Yes I took mine out of the triple tree, didn't take long and was easier that way for me. You can do it from the top without removal if you use one of those split fork seal installers that come in two pieces and you wrap it around the fork.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:18 PM
gliderman
Road Captain

OK, thanks much for your help. It makes sense to me now... Hope the rest goes without any more problems.........