Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Detachable Tour Pak on my 2008 Ultra Classic

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 11:37 PM
philgrocks
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Detachable Tour Pak on my 2008 Ultra Classic

I finally put on the detachable tour pak parts on my ultra. I got everything from my local HD dealer. The following parts were needed for my 2008 Ultra (may be different if you have a different year)

46063-98 - detachable lock - This allows you to Lock the tour pak onto your ultra.
53276-04 - detach tour pak mounting - This is the part that bolts to your tour pak
53804-06 - kit, docking hardware - This is what stays on your ultra.
60210-07 - layback license plate - the detachable hardware on the tour pak is pretty low. So you need this to make enough room.
Daktoa Digital hidden antenna - moves the antenna into the fairing the dealer says it works as well as the factory antenna...
They also sold me a connector to disconnect some wires, but did not explain which ones :-) More on that later...

They also wanted to sell me a kit to move the CB antenna, but since I never use the CB I did not buy that.

So here is what I did...
- Remove the seat
- Gently pull on the wires going to the speakers, eventually you will find the connector inside... Easily disconnects on left and right side (6 pin connectors)
- Next you will need to take out the liner inside the tour pak. To do this, there are two bolts at the rear that hold the document holder... Take those out and the liner will lift out.
- Inside you will find connectors for the CB and AM/FM antenna. Disconnect those.
- You will also see on the left side of bike a three pin connector.... I disconnected this for now... This is where the connector will come into play that the dealer sold me.
- So I feed both wires thru the tour pak and let them hang outside of the bike.
- The last wire is the rear passenger headset. Disconnect the spring and note that the plastic holder for the rear cable actually has a split in it and allows you to take the headset off the tour pak.
- So now you have all of the wires removed and you can unbolt the tour pak and install the hardware that you bought as described in the documentation that came with the parts.

So it turns out... That the connector I disconnected inside the tour pak is for the lights and is not weather protected... Which is why you need a new weather tight connector and you need to put it outside of the tour pak so that removal of the liner is not needed everytime you want to remove or install the tour pak.

In my case the cable was inside of a protective cover with one of the antenna wires (AM/FM) so I carefully cut back this cover about 4" from where the wire comes out of the frame and exposed the three wires and the coax for the antenna. Then cut those three wires and put the new connectors here. This will allow me to plug the other end of this wire into the tour pak and have it hanging outside of the tour pak so I can leave the liner in.

Now, what to do with all of those wires when you do not have the tour pak installed?

Turns out that under the seat there is an area where there is space for all of these wires. Not directly under either the passenger or driver... Between those two. You can see it under your seat if you look... I pretty big area.

Well that's it... I attached a couple of photos. I love it

Attached Thumbnails Detachable Tour Pak on my 2008 Ultra Classic-ultra-right-side-1.jpg   Detachable Tour Pak on my 2008 Ultra Classic-ultra-rear-1.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
thomac13 (12-17-2019)
Old 03-08-2009, 05:18 AM
Badbagger
Grand HDF Member

Received 309 Likes on 181 Posts

Looks good, did mine yesterday as well.

Old 03-08-2009, 06:34 AM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

It's surprising how much difference in handling removal of the tour-pak makes! I don't so much notice the extra weight when it's mounted, but when I remove it the difference is immediately apparent!

Old 03-08-2009, 07:09 AM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

dang, wish i could afford to do the same. i am guessing about an $800.00 deal even doing it yourself. did you buy the detachable backrest?

Old 03-08-2009, 08:33 AM
07JakeelwoodHD
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Has anyone done a 09 yet the tourpak and mounts have been changed....

Old 03-08-2009, 09:53 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Nice write-up. Add some pics of the wire connectors and it should be a sticky since this a frequently asked question.

The following users liked this post:
thomac13 (12-17-2019)
Old 03-08-2009, 11:01 AM
skyking
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've done the 09. There is a whole new kit for it. Retail is around $550 I think. The kit has everything you need. I didn't like the license plate bracket that came with the kit, so I changed the lights on the back end to those found on the Street Glide and mounted the plate underneath the lights.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:15 AM
tda69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Yep...I did that one on my '03 Ultra. Was a pain in the butt....was worth it though.

Old 03-08-2009, 06:42 PM
philgrocks
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by checkers
dang, wish i could afford to do the same. i am guessing about an $800.00 deal even doing it yourself. did you buy the detachable backrest?
Since I did not do the CB that saved me $100. So it cost me $518 with Tax... Without Tax $469. So I bet if you used one of the mail order dealers you could save a few bucks.

I bought from the local dealer so that if I had questions I could ask with dignity :-) But turns out I was able to figure it out without them :-)

Old 03-08-2009, 07:00 PM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Got a detachable Tourpack off a Classic on my Standard, Also got a detachable backrest also.
But I can see where y'all had to go threw a lot more.
I got a buddy that made a plug a few years ago and he can take his detachable tourpack off his ultra and tuck the wires in about 15 minutes.

Quick Reply: Detachable Tour Pak on my 2008 Ultra Classic