Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More 07 rumors (like we needed more)

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 09:51 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,720 Likes on 1,546 Posts
Default More 07 rumors (like we needed more)

My dealer thinks the 07's are going to have 95 inch motors. Since the dealer convention has not even happened yet this is just speculation. Just wondering if anyone else has heard the same thing?

Old 05-11-2006, 09:55 PM
Topper
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: More 07 rumors (like we needed more)

Petro is $3.00 per gallon, service looses mucho buckos and HD looses on parts, would think speculation??

Old 05-11-2006, 10:06 PM
ironzo
Novice

I talked to an H-D service manager recently about them going to the 95" as their base motor. He seriously doubted it, because they make to much money doing the big bore conversions. He seemed to think that the dealers would put up a big fight against it. Personally, I think you will see the 6 speed tranny spread through the model line first, since it was just introduced on the Dynas this year. That seems to be the way Harley has done things over the years. A little bit at a time.

Old 05-11-2006, 10:09 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member

You know I was thinking the same thing, but consider this. The metric bikes are all running larger motors these days and the EPA is probably going to make it impossible for HD to even sell 95" kits to upgrade your 88 so why not just make it stock, add some bragging rights and just charge a little more for the bike....

They've been running the 88 for like 6-7 years? Isn't that about the same amount of time they ran the EVO before replacing it with the 88?
Probably longer but regardless, I for one think it's time for an upgrade.
One guy around these parts was saying the moco was going to do 113".... wow, wouldn't that be cool. Yeah right........lol

ORIGINAL: Topper

Petro is $3.00 per gallon, service looses mucho buckos and HD looses on parts, would think speculation??

Old 05-11-2006, 10:10 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 230 Likes on 150 Posts

I would think they are only speculating. Even if it is true, the factory 95" would still need lots of work to make it run as hard as these aftermarket 95" kits people are doing now. They will still have to be "legal" 95" motors. Remember almost all SE parts are for Off-Road Use Only. The only thing the MoCo and dealers would loose out on would be the sale and install of big bore pistons and cylinders. They will still make money on Cam and Head sales and install, not to mention the download and SERT costs.

The way I look at it, the Stage 1 and 2 downloads the dealers are charging $149.95 for is probably 90% profit. There is no part acutally installed on a bike so no material cost. The only BOM cost the MoCo incurs is software development, which can be amortized to a very small amount over the number of bikes sold per year. There is 10 minutes of labor involved in actually downloading the program for the dealer. Then they charge you a minimum labor charge which is usually 1/2 to 1 hour. They try to justify the minimum labor cost by doing a safety inspect before and test ride after the work is done. Some dealers may even wash your bike. This huge profit driver will not go away if they go to 95" motors off the line.

I doubt the lost revenue on the piston and cylinder sales would be enough to prevent them from going 95". With japan shipping bigger and bigger motors, HD has to step it up. At some point it becomes a numbers game within the marketing depts.

Just my opinion.

BZ

Old 05-11-2006, 10:14 PM
Topper
Road Captain

There is already a kit for a 113", so it can be done now. They release the SG in 06, its a big hit, 07 will bring the SE SG and thus they come out with a 113 conversion. All marketing, have to pay those guys to do something! Personally need glue on my hands to ride my 95", no need for a 113" here.

#22545-04

Old 05-11-2006, 10:21 PM
dforeid
Road Captain
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

6 speed in the touring line is what I've been hearing.

Old 05-11-2006, 10:22 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 230 Likes on 150 Posts

There is already a kit for a 113", so it can be done now. They release the SG in 06, its a big hit, 07 will bring the SE SG and thus they come out with a 113 conversion. All marketing, have to pay those guys to do somthing! Personally need glue on my hands to ride my 95", no need for a 113" here.
While you very well may be right about the SESG, I hope it is not true. The beauty of a SG to me is the simplicity of it. No bells and whistles with extra chrome or flashy paint. The past CVO/SE editions have all been pretty gawdy cosmetically. I don't know if the SG lends itself to that. A factory 113, while ballisticly expensive, would be cool. It shouldn't be that much more than a 103", but you know the MoCo would jump at the chance to gouge someone's eyes out for the "Chance to own the largest displacement motor ever to roll out of the factory"

BZ

Old 05-11-2006, 10:22 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member

Know what you mean.
I ment 113 as stock. That would be a shocker....

lp

There is already a kit for a 113", so it can be done now. They release the SG in 06, its a big hit, 07 will bring the SE SG and thus they come out with a 113 conversion. All marketing, have to pay those guys to do somthing! Personally need glue on my hands to ride my 95", no need for a 113" here.

Old 05-11-2006, 10:25 PM
Topper
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Biggzed

While you very well may be right about the SESG, I hope it is not true. The beauty of a SG to me is the simplicity of it. No bells and whistles with extra chrome or flashy paint. The past CVO/SE editions have all been pretty gawdy cosmetically. I don't know if the SG lends itself to that. A factory 113, while ballisticly expensive, would be cool. It shouldn't be that much more than a 103", but you know the MoCo would jump at the chance to gouge someone's eyes out for the "Chance to own the largest displacement motor ever to roll out of the factory"

BZ

It will still be a 103" but the kit is already available for a 113", I agree with the gawdy schemes of the past, but love the black and orange SE's, even the Vrod.

Quick Reply: More 07 rumors (like we needed more)