Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I adjust where the the clutch lever grabs on my 06 SG?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 11:24 PM
ThePointman
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question How do I adjust where the the clutch lever grabs on my 06 SG?

My clutch grabs right at the end of the clutch lever and I want it to grab about half way, how do I adjust it?

Old 03-12-2009, 11:39 PM
fairplay
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

quickest and easiest would be to: follow clutch cable down from the lever and about half way (directly behind the front fender) slide the rubber boot back and adjust. To adjust just loosten the jam nut and spin the adjustment in to your liking and retighten.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:46 PM
RBJones
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

When you say 'grab' do you mean when clutch begins to engage or when it's all the way out? If the latter, then half way out on the lever is going to mean that when you've pulled the lever all the way in you're probably going to have some clutch drag, which will make it difficult to put the bike into gear and shift it. Regardless, you really need to buy or borrow a service manual so you can do it right. You may need to adjust the clutch first before you adjust the cable.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:56 PM
ThePointman
Road Captain

The adjustment nut half way down the cable only seems to adjusts the tension of the lever not where the clutch actually grabs when releasing the clutch lever itself.

At the moment the clutch grabs or enguages when the lever is almost all the way out and I this makes starting out awkward and I fear that the clutch may be dragging when fully released. How do I make the lutch enguage earlier when releasing the lever?

Last edited by ThePointman; 03-13-2009 at 12:02 AM.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:12 AM
nemick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds to me like you will have to check the adjustment of the clutch itself. Its not difficult, but you'll need to either buy or borrow a service manual, as RBJones suggested.

Old 03-13-2009, 01:15 AM
oinker02
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There are actually 2 points of adjustment. The first must be performed inside the derby cover, the second at the cable.

Seeing as how it's now your scoot, it's time you took ownership and started making your own adjustments, huh? Yep, and we here will assist.

First go ride the bike and get her to normal operating temp. Park it using side stand then release all cable tension at the cable adjuster directly in front of engine/frame.

Next remove derby cover screws and lay cover aside. Then use allen wrench to hold center screw on end of clutch shaft while you use open end wrench to loosen lock nut.....Now screw center shaft out a full turn or two, then gently screw it back in as you feel for it to lightly contact the clutch release.....Once you feel it contact, turn it back out 1/2 to 1 full turn and then hold it with allen wrench while you retighten lock nut.....Now squeeze and release clutch lever several times to reset ball releases inside right cover.

Install derby cover and gasket.

Adjust cable outer jacket to where you have 1/16-1/8" gap tween cable ferrule and clutch lever housing.

Start bike and test clutch release point. It should be right where you want it.

Old 03-13-2009, 01:27 AM
db2753
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 03-13-2009, 07:45 AM
Heathen
Tourer

Originally Posted by db2753
Now thats cool !!

Old 03-13-2009, 08:31 AM
georgemcghee
Tourer

Originally Posted by db2753
thank you just added to fave. list.

Old 03-13-2009, 08:43 AM
RoadKingRon1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by oinker02
There are actually 2 points of adjustment. The first must be performed inside the derby cover, the second at the cable.

Seeing as how it's now your scoot, it's time you took ownership and started making your own adjustments, huh? Yep, and we here will assist.

First go ride the bike and get her to normal operating temp. Park it using side stand then release all cable tension at the cable adjuster directly in front of engine/frame.

Next remove derby cover screws and lay cover aside. Then use allen wrench to hold center screw on end of clutch shaft while you use open end wrench to loosen lock nut.....Now screw center shaft out a full turn or two, then gently screw it back in as you feel for it to lightly contact the clutch release.....Once you feel it contact, turn it back out 1/2 to 1 full turn and then hold it with allen wrench while you retighten lock nut.....Now squeeze and release clutch lever several times to reset ball releases inside right cover.

Install derby cover and gasket.

Adjust cable outer jacket to where you have 1/16-1/8" gap tween cable ferrule and clutch lever housing.

Start bike and test clutch release point. It should be right where you want it.

+1 EXCEPT -1st step is to release any tension on the cable and you do this by backing off the nut on the cable at the front of the bike. You can't get a good ajustment if there is any pressure being applied to the clutch pac.

And 2nd - I don't know if it makes a difference but my manual says to adjust the clutch with the bike cold.

Quick Reply: How do I adjust where the the clutch lever grabs on my 06 SG?