Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Cooler install question

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 01:34 PM
takeiteasy
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Oil Cooler install question

Anyone have the hd oil cooler and the hd temp gauge installed in the location indicated by the directions (in an adapter behind the old filter).

The dealer installed the oil temp gauge when I got the bike I was just wondering how that works with the hd oil cooler.

Pics would be great Thanks.

Old 03-14-2009, 01:58 PM
09StreetGlider
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do not have mine that way but it will work fine.

The main difference is it will not read the temp from the pan...but from the output of the cooler. This will not be an accurate indication of oil temps until the oil cooler bypass opens at 185 degrees. You should see very little movement on the oil temp gauge until the bypass opens and then it should read accurately.

Temps may be a bit lower than what others report as normal temps in the oil pan...but close enough to identify a problem if it were to arrise.

Old 03-15-2009, 02:55 PM
takeiteasy
Cruiser

Thanks I am trying to figure out how it hooks up. Do you know if the adapter you had to put behind your oil filter is the same as the one called for with the oil temp gauge 26133-07 I think?

Thanks

Old 03-15-2009, 03:31 PM
09StreetGlider
Road Master

Originally Posted by dpa
Thanks I am trying to figure out how it hooks up. Do you know if the adapter you had to put behind your oil filter is the same as the one called for with the oil temp gauge 26133-07 I think?

Thanks
I thought you had already installed it this way...I misread....

If you are doing the initial oil cooler install...don't put the gauge back the way the directions tell you to. Do it the way it is detailed in this thread. here
You'll have a better indication with it in the oil pan and it won't be affected by the operation...or non-operation....of the thermostat. JMHO.

Since you will already be working in that area...it's a great time to fix it.

Old 03-15-2009, 07:51 PM
takeiteasy
Cruiser

Thanks the post was helpful. Do you know of a post like that for installing the hd oil cooler?

Thanks.

Old 03-15-2009, 08:02 PM
09StreetGlider
Road Master

Originally Posted by dpa
Thanks the post was helpful. Do you know of a post like that for installing the hd oil cooler?

Thanks.
I don't know about one for the oil cooler...you could try a search. But I remember the installation instructions were pretty straightforward for the cooler install.

One thing you do need to know...

The oil filter adapter for the oil cooler requires a 7/16 allen socket to torque it down. 7/16 is larger than you will probably ever find because most kits end at 3/8. Do what everyone else has done...and what I had to do...

Get a 1 1/2 to 2 inch long bolt with a 7/16 hex head and a few nuts. Put the nuts on the bolt and use wrenches to jam the nuts together. Then when it comes time to torque the oil filter adapter, stick the bolt head in the adapter and torque with a socket on the nuts.

You do have a Service Manual and a torque wrench correct? If not, go get'em as they will be the two most useful tools in your toolbox. Everything has a torque and everything should be torqued! You can find the proper torque for almost everything in the service manual, along with clear procedures for most anything.

Old 03-15-2009, 08:44 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by dpa

Thanks
First, I would advise against installing the sender in the manner dictated by the HD instructions. If you decide to locate it there the adapter is not needed if you have the cooler, as it's basically the same thing without the thermostat.

If you connect the OTG sender in the cooler line as shown in the HD instructions you may not get a reading 'til the thermostat opens, which may take a while or never happen in cold weather. Some have complained that they never see the gauge move. The best location for the sender is the pan, and that can be easily done with a Napa #3220 x 6 x 2 (1/8F-3/8M) adapter. Jagg agrees, BTW, because the pan is where the oil goes after it circulates in the engine, so it gives the best indication of peak temperature.

There are plenty of threads on this subject here, so if you need more info do a search on "oil temperature gauge".

Old 03-16-2009, 06:46 PM
takeiteasy
Cruiser

Thanks can you tell me if this is the correct part?

https://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/(3...SKU=2147006074

Old 03-16-2009, 07:32 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by dpa
Thanks can you tell me if this is the correct part?

https://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/(3...SKU=2147006074
Yes, that's it.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:43 PM
takeiteasy
Cruiser

Thanks. Sorry for all the dumb questions.

I stopped by Menards and found this will it work?

Attached Thumbnails Oil Cooler install question-dscn2478.jpg  

Last edited by takeiteasy; 03-16-2009 at 08:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Oil Cooler install question