Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil !!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 10:53 AM
evert7363
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil !!!!!

What's the best oil to run in my Ultra Classic. Conventional or Synthetic?

Evert,[A33486TTACH][/ATTACH]

Attached Thumbnails Oil !!!!!-elkmont.jpg  
Old 03-15-2009, 11:01 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,945 Likes on 1,705 Posts
Old 03-15-2009, 11:05 AM
Chasenfish
Road Captain

Welcome to the forums. You might want to check the Tech Forums and look at the Oil and Oil Related Topics section. Lots of good information there. i switched to synthetic at my 1000 mile service. It helped to cool things down, took the clunk out shifting, and made neutral a lot easier to get into.

Old 03-15-2009, 11:08 AM
tda69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

There's a section devoted to this topic already. You might want to check that out. There are a wide array of opinions ans is a topic which has been hashed and rehashed a million times on this forum by now which is why it now has it's own section. I wouldn't be surprised if this one gets bumped there by a Moderator.

Old 03-15-2009, 11:10 AM
KoalaCowboy
Road Warrior

That really depends on how hard you ride, where you live (ambient air conditions) and how much money you want to spend on oil changes.

For the vast majority of riders (IMO), conventional oil will suffice just fine. There are some that swear by Amsoil Synthetic, others that swear by Royal Purple Synthetic and even some that use Mobil 1.

Here is an article that talks about conventional vs. synthetic that may shed some light on 'what' you might choose to use.

Me personally, on my '07 Ultra, I had an HD Oil-Cooler and ran regular H-D oil (note: I had a pre-paid maintenance program that covers all maintenance every 2500 miles for as long as I own the bike. For me, it made more sense to just use the regular oil since I had my oil changed routinely). My bike ran just fine, my fuel economy average over the 13 months that I had it (prior to my accident) was 46.73 mph.

I'm sure others with far more knowledge (Dawg, for one) will chime in.

Hope this helps. Ride safe.

Old 03-15-2009, 11:12 AM
eglinski
Tourer

Im told and have read that there are benefits to Synthetic Oil in a twin Cam engine.
The Synthetic oil does not break down at as low a temp. as dino oil, these Twin Cams get HOT!!!
I will always use synthetic in my bike

Attached Thumbnails Oil !!!!!-my-rk.jpg  
Old 03-15-2009, 11:14 AM
evert7363
4th Gear

Thanks for the info i'll check out the site.

Old 03-15-2009, 11:14 AM
kromdom
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

welcome. you're new to site and probably missed this while you were searching: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/oil-a...ted-topics-30/

Old 03-15-2009, 11:16 AM
FUJILICIOUS
Road Captain
Received 191 Likes on 106 Posts

Hey Evert, welcome to the Forum. To save you from getting killed on-line here with that question, check out the Search feature and find threads relating to oil, fluids,etc. There will be more than ample info on the subject, including the tranny and primary. Then you will find threads on the best brands.
Your question is not a simple one to answer. There are polarizing schools of thought on which is better and brand. It will all come down to your personal preference and what works for you. You may find a combo that works right away, or you may have some trial and error. Prolly not the answer you are looking for, but that is the best I can give you.
Make no mistake, though, you have come to the right Forum with members that will be able to answer pert-near anything relating to your ride. Your question about the oil has been debated and argued since forever, and members here are leery about getting into another thread about it.
So.....set aside a few hours, lock yourself in front of you PC, and start searching the threads on your subject. Either your answer will be found, or you will come away with more questions, but we will be here to help, however we can.
Good Luck!

Old 03-15-2009, 11:25 AM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts

Olive Oil.

It lubricates AND lowers your cholestrol.

Quick Reply: Oil !!!!!