Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good Bye PCIII Hello TTS!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 11:16 AM
vtwinbmx
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Good Bye PCIII Hello TTS!!

Let me start by saying thanks to Jamie at Fuelmoto for your help with the TTS and the PCIII your knowledge is amazing. Bwickes also a great source of infomation and a ton of help with my tuning runs.
So this winter I decided it was time to build the bike. bwickes had a great running bagger putting out 98HP and 105TQ with a 103 using SE251 cams and Flat top pistons and a cometic .030 head gasket. Problem how to get the bike tuned. Nobody local was able to understand or tune the bike the way I wanted. Jamie is to far away to get a tune and the build was something he didn't have a canned map for. After talking to Jamie about the PCV vs. The TTS I was on the fence on what to do. Months of reading the forum I made up my mind. Jamie said both products work great and both do different things but in the end both tune the bike. Order the TTS from Jamie on Thursday of last week. I wanted to get used to the software bofore doin the motor work. Received it on Saturday loaded software in the computer and updated it and read everything I could before the install on the motorcycle. Now the fun begins. On Wendsday Night after work I Removed the O2 Plugs and reinstalled the O2 sensors which I removed when the PCIII was put on the bike. Opened up side cover and disconnected the PCIII(good bye old friend). Opened up TTS software and followed the tunng a bike without a dyno guide. Picked my base map and made the changes needed to v-tune the bike. Hooked up computer and saved my ECM settings to the computer. Loaded base map to bike and checked all infomation to see if all was good. To late to start the bike waking up kids and wife would be bad. Day 2 raced home after work on Thursday. Hooked computer to bike and warmed bike up. Started right up and had no hesitation at all. Shut down bike and ran in house to get gloves and jacket. Started bike back up and tried to start v-tune session comm port not open. shut down bike and turn on comm port. Went to read ECM info to see if comm port was working and got no ECM info. What! How is this happening. Rechecked all connections, restarted the computer and software tried again. Called bwickes to see if he could help me out as luck would have it he was on his was over. I tried three time to get it to read ECM and got nothing. OH Shi*. bwickes showed up and checked everything over. Sill nothing at this point I'm going nuts did I F-up my ecm what did I mess up. Called Jamie and recapped the events that happened and he was quick to figure out that in all the excitement of doing my first v-tune I used shut off the run switch and ignition. I never check to see if I put the Run switch back on. Thanks Jamie your a life saver! now Im back in business. Check ECM info and comm port working perfectly. Fired the bike warmed her back up and started to record my v-tune. bwickes wlked me threw the first heat cycle garage tune. after recording info. shut down bike and saved data and created new map. Loaded new map and started bike. Time to road v-tune. bwickes gave me some hints on how to hit as many cells as possible and off I went for about 35 minutes. Trying to keep an eye on the RPM and throttle position. Bike ran great. Got back home and saved new map. Looks good need to hit few more cells. Loaded updated map and off I went for a 45 minute run. This time ran freeway and back roads and hit a ton of cells.Saved and loaded up new map. Bike has amazing throttle responce and zero decel pop. Will run it like this a few weeks until I do the motor build.
man it is a blast to tune can't wait to do it again. Thanks Jamie and bwickes you are the best.

Old 03-20-2009, 11:59 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Good story and write-up. Are you using the stock narrow-band O2 sensors? If so, what AFR are you using for the range that it affects (below about 50% TP)?

Old 03-20-2009, 12:35 PM
vtwinbmx
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by iclick
Good story and write-up. Are you using the stock narrow-band O2 sensors? If so, what AFR are you using for the range that it affects (below about 50% TP)?
Iclick I'm using the stock narrow-band O2 Sensors. I will be doing one more run today before I set my Final AFR. Will try to set it around 14.6 and see how the bike responds.

Old 03-20-2009, 12:46 PM
AZCFH
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sent you pm if you are selling the pcii..

Old 03-20-2009, 12:58 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by vtwinbmx
Iclick I'm using the stock narrow-band O2 Sensors. I will be doing one more run today before I set my Final AFR. Will try to set it around 14.6 and see how the bike responds.
I ran my otherwise stock '07 TC96 at up to 14.7:1 in the cruise range with a PCV-AT and it was fine there, but since changing cams last week it is happier with 14.5:1 in that area, as it was a bit temperamental higher than that. I got an occasional "blip" (like a misfire) at light-throttle and around 2000 RPM, and I attributed that to a too-lean AFR at that spot. Adding that .1-.2 of fuel seems to have made the difference.

Can you set yours between 14.2-14.6? I understand lower than 14.2 is not possible with the narrow-band sensors, although I personally wouldn't run lower than that anyway in the cruise range.

Old 03-20-2009, 01:04 PM
steveultra08
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have not used the new TTS software, but the first time I used the SERT, we were trying to load a canned stage 1 map and had no communication with the bike. We loaded the software on two different computers and scratched our heads for a few before we gave up and went to the dealer, once there the tech reached up and flipped the run switch on the handlebars. Boy did we feel stupid, and I am a ASE master tech with over 20 years experiance working on cars. I must always remember that sometimes the most difficult problems have the simplest solutions.

Old 03-20-2009, 01:26 PM
vtwinbmx
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by steveultra08
...Boy did we feel stupid, I must always remember that sometimes the most difficult problems have the simplest solutions.
You got that right wow did I feel Like a fool on the phone with Jamie. HAHAHA

Old 03-20-2009, 01:34 PM
vtwinbmx
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by iclick
Can you set yours between 14.2-14.6? I understand lower than 14.2 is not possible with the narrow-band sensors, although I personally wouldn't run lower than that anyway in the cruise range.
ICLICK from my understanding for a post by DOC1
The Narrow Band Switching Device 02 sensor works in a range +/-.5, ie it works between 15.0:1 to 14.0:1 AFR. The advantages to the Narrow Band 02 sensor is that it toggles very fast in it's range so it's able to stay on the AFR requested target AFR much better and longer than the Wide Band sensor can do. The Closed Loop Bias Voltage Table can be set to a higher voltage that actually makes the AFR richer in the closed loop area, for an example: a voltage of .450 would be 14.7 to 14.6:1....a voltage of .550 will have a AFR of 14.5:1, a voltage 0f .650 might be close to 14.4, a voltage of .798 wil get you about 14.2:1.

Old 03-20-2009, 04:24 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by vtwinbmx
ICLICK from my understanding for a post by DOC1
The Narrow Band Switching Device 02 sensor works in a range +/-.5, ie it works between 15.0:1 to 14.0:1 AFR. The advantages to the Narrow Band 02 sensor is that it toggles very fast in it's range so it's able to stay on the AFR requested target AFR much better and longer than the Wide Band sensor can do. The Closed Loop Bias Voltage Table can be set to a higher voltage that actually makes the AFR richer in the closed loop area, for an example: a voltage of .450 would be 14.7 to 14.6:1....a voltage of .550 will have a AFR of 14.5:1, a voltage 0f .650 might be close to 14.4, a voltage of .798 wil get you about 14.2:1.
I haven't worked with SERT, SEST, or TTS--but I thought the AFR range was 14.2-15.1. Anyway, close enough. I was aware that the The wideband sensors on the PCV-AT supposedly pulse at 50x/sec., which I would think would be PDQ. How fast do the narrow-band sensors pulse and why would more be better? I'm not trying to be defensive, just learn something.

Old 03-20-2009, 04:52 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I must be doin sumpin wrong,,,
All I gots ta do,,, is walk into the garage,,, jump on STOCK bike, hit the switch............

Im off,, enjoyin every min>

no Down loads, mappin cans, ecm,cannin maps,softwear,hardware,load,unload,re map,
map foldin,foldin cans, tuna cans,,,, nuttin,,, Am I missin sutin?

Quick Reply: Good Bye PCIII Hello TTS!!