Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinner And Lower Seat Options?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 10:00 PM
mrozowjj
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinner And Lower Seat Options?

I just bought a 2009 Street Glide. Even with it being the shortest stock seat height I'm still unable to flat foot it. The dealer mentioned a "reach" seat which seems like an option but I thought I'd ask you guys see what seats out there might help. I think a little off the width and a little off the height and I'd be set.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:05 PM
wrenchguy24
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a harley badlander seat!!!! low profle etc!!! well it was worse!!!! It was to wide at the front keeping my legs to far apart!!!
So i removed the cover got out the old electri knife about 1 hour later both feet flat on the ground!!!!
its really easy to do!!!

Old 03-22-2009, 10:58 PM
monstead
Club Member
Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM when I can find the time....
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

you might try Corbin close seats. I ride with a guy that is about 5'5" and he has an 08 street glide (not lowered) and that seat works well for him. Not cheap, but great seats and you can get a backrest, unlike with the HD Badlander. Not sure about a backrest w/ the HD Reach.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:40 AM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

If you decide to get a Corbin, you need to tell them just what you are trying to achieve. I think they can fix you right up but the stock Corbin is a little wide and that may cause you a problem when stopped with both feet on the ground.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:10 AM
boogiewithtuck
Road Warrior

C&C Seats - these guys are making Corbin very nervous! Great products, flawless craftsmanship and actual customer service - call Chuck and have him send you some pictures. If you decide on a C&C, they will give you 10% off - just tell 'em your a forum member.

My sig picture shows the C&C Sport Tour with a stingray inset and dark gray "ghost" stitching. More close-up seat photos in my photo album.

Good luck w/ whatever you decide on - I don't typically get this passionate about any certain product but this company does everything right.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:19 AM
XTrooper3936
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Before you go spending money, try to stick it out for awhile. Your bike and seat will settle and that may be enough to do the trick for you.

In my case, when my '08 Electra Glide was brand-new, I had trouble moving it around in the garage when wearing loafers and had to put a pair of boots or shoes with heels on to move it comfortably. After a few months of riding it, I had no trouble moving it around with flat-soled shoes.

Old 03-23-2009, 08:05 AM
Serg06
Cruiser

What I did is I took it to a guy that does interior and had him shave off some foam. Then he just re wrapped with the same seat cover. Worked great for a wile. Then I bought the badlander and had him add foam to the rear of the seat to push me forward. Also worked great. Good luck.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:52 PM
monstead
Club Member
Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM when I can find the time....
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

On the baggers, 09 seat pans are different from the pre-09's. Mean City Cycles has said there is not much to work with as far as narrowing and lowering these seats because of the frame change to the bikes. So, what works on older models is likely not to work on our 09's. There is a ton of great advice on this forum, and I defer to the experience and advice of the forum members most of the time, but IMO, when it comes to seats...09 owners are best served listening to the advice of 09 owners and/or the manufacturer. We just don't have the options (yet) as the other guys do since the seat makers have had to start from scratch because of the new frame.

Obviously, each individual is unique in build, proportion and how we like our bikes to "feel". From my experience, the HD Stock and HD Sundowner are very similar w/ a very slight edge to the Sundowner for getting me lower. The Badlander does the best job of getting me more flat footed and is narrower up front, but isn't comfy on long rides and doesn't accept a backrest. The HD Reach sat me too close (I'm 5'8" have longish arms and my bars are pulled back a bit). The Mustang vintage solo is the best of the bunch for all around. Gets me more flat footed than stock, is a bit narrower and is comfy. I'd love to have tried the Corbin, but it just now came out for the 09's. Like I mentioned, they make a "close" seat which puts you closer to the bars and is narrower, which is what my height challenged 08 Street Glide riding buddy has on his and he loves it.

End of the day...speak with each manufaturer and if you can try them out...all the better.

Good Luck!

Old 03-23-2009, 12:57 PM
Peppa1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Monstead is exactly right on the Corbin seat. I have a vertically challenged friend who got a new Corbin Classic Solo (close version) with passenger pillion and loves it. It put him right where he needed to be. He had Corbins in the past and knew they were good quality seats. He's a happy camper now !!!

Old 03-23-2009, 01:03 PM
Twist n Smoke
Cruiser

One word, "airbags."

Quick Reply: Thinner And Lower Seat Options?