Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Pressure level for maximum comfort?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 10:21 AM
GliderXXX
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Air Pressure level for maximum comfort?

I finally got around to checking the air in my shocks with my new HD pump and guage. (Very nice piece btw for low $$$$...miracles never cease

In any event, the pressure was 0. I actually found the ride to be pretty pliant solo that way. I weigh 190 and I'm 6'0". With my GF we bottomed out a couple of times, and she found the ride a bit jiggly. She's 5'6" 130. I pumped 10 psi in the shocks for me solo, (only got to take a quick ride due to the storms around here), and it felt firmer but not sure I could really tell any difference. The manual suggests 15-20 psi for rider with passenger up to 150. So here is my dumb question; I understand the bottoming out prevention by adding air, but wouldn't the ride get very stiff and even more (jiggly) with 20 lbs of air in the shock, or 15 or 10 even? What do you guys ride with solo and 2-up?

Thanks!

Old 04-29-2006, 10:52 AM
Nitehawk
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Air Pressure level for maximum comfort?

Glider, my wife and I total 300lbs, my shocks are set @15psi and the scoot glides across bumps like a caddy, I also have the air pump and have adjusted several friends shocks to 15 and all say it is a much better ride, you may have to play a bit but I would start there and adjust according to how it feels to you and your GF, then you could lower it when solo........hope this helps....

Old 04-29-2006, 11:11 AM
GliderXXX
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Nitehawk

Glider, my wife and I total 300lbs, my shocks are set @15psi and the scoot glides across bumps like a caddy, I also have the air pump and have adjusted several friends shocks to 15 and all say it is a much better ride, you may have to play a bit but I would start there and adjust according to how it feels to you and your GF, then you could lower it when solo........hope this helps....
Helps a lot! Thanks...I'm gonna pump it to 15 and give it a whirl, and as you say, tweek it from there. If yours rides like at caddy at 15...that sounds good!

Old 04-29-2006, 11:35 AM
saweet96
Advanced

I was told by an old scoot, pump the thing up to 35#. By the time you unscrew the harley pump you'll be down around 28#. I've had it this way for the past 2 years w/o any problems. '96 Ultra that is usually 2 up.

Old 04-29-2006, 11:35 AM
solorider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With my Street Glide, I ended up with 5 p.s.i. for maximum comfort riding solo...I weigh 185. It was delivered with 0 lbs. which caused me to bottom out also, I added 10 lbs. and that was way too stiff with the lowered suspension.

Old 04-29-2006, 12:46 PM
PipeDADDY
Road Captain

I try to keep it between 7-11 solo (200lbs)and 12-15 with 2-up(330lbs).

Old 04-29-2006, 02:25 PM
Bruce00
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Guess I better go out and check mine

Old 04-29-2006, 03:21 PM
RDKingRider
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[sm=americanasmiley.gif]My wife had been complaining about the ride/seat on our Roadking. Bought the sundowner before I ever brought it home. In such a state of joy, didn't realize shock had zero, bought the pump and have started out with 15. She thinks it rides better, haven't had a chance for long ride yet, the weather. Really hope this is the remedy.[sm=biker2.gif]

Old 04-29-2006, 04:08 PM
GliderXXX
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: RDKingRider

[sm=americanasmiley.gif]My wife had been complaining about the ride/seat on our Roadking. Bought the sundowner before I ever brought it home. In such a state of joy, didn't realize shock had zero, bought the pump and have started out with 15. She thinks it rides better, haven't had a chance for long ride yet, the weather. Really hope this is the remedy.[sm=biker2.gif]
Thats kind of strange R King, cause I've found the Road King to have one of the most pleasing rides of all the Touring bikes. With the 13" shocks, I can't imagine it would matter a whole lot whether it was 0 or 20 psi, but I may be wrong. Plus with the Sundowner you have a very decent touring seat. Dare I ask what the combined weight is on the bike? I think most of my experimenting, almost exclusively to satisfy my girlfriend, (it rides great for me in any psi weight or seat, comes from the lowered 12" air shock on the SG.

Old 04-29-2006, 07:33 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

ORIGINAL: GliderXXX

I finally got around to checking the air in my shocks with my new HD pump and guage. (Very nice piece btw for low $$$$...miracles never cease

In any event, the pressure was 0. I actually found the ride to be pretty pliant solo that way. I weigh 190 and I'm 6'0". With my GF we bottomed out a couple of times, and she found the ride a bit jiggly. She's 5'6" 130. I pumped 10 psi in the shocks for me solo, (only got to take a quick ride due to the storms around here), and it felt firmer but not sure I could really tell any difference. The manual suggests 15-20 psi for rider with passenger up to 150. So here is my dumb question; I understand the bottoming out prevention by adding air, but wouldn't the ride get very stiff and even more (jiggly) with 20 lbs of air in the shock, or 15 or 10 even? What do you guys ride with solo and 2-up?

Thanks!

What part of youre GF was (jiggly) ??? - sorry, just couldn't pass that up

Quick Reply: Air Pressure level for maximum comfort?