Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 SG Fuel Tank Removal Question

Old 03-24-2009, 07:29 PM
atrain68
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 2008 SG Fuel Tank Removal Question

Hi everyone I need some help on this. I need to remove my fuel tank to route some wiring under it. I'm reading my service manual and the tank looks fairly easy to remove.

How much gas should I expect to drain from the tank and fuel line once I unhook the quick connect? The manual says there is a check valve in the fitting so the gas won't drain out of the tank, but I want to be sure I have a container big enough for any drainage. I will have a gallon or more left in the tank and don't want a major disaster in my garage. Thanks!

Old 03-24-2009, 08:05 PM
HD-EZ2NV
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nah, don't worry and just do it. Disconnected mine to remove my tank and nothing came out.
Be sure to de-pressurize the fuel system like the manual says though.
Quite different than my '01 Heritage. Unhooked the fuel line on it and it was like a geyser.
Good luck.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:53 PM
fathertime
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by atrain68
Hi everyone I need some help on this. I need to remove my fuel tank to route some wiring under it. I'm reading my service manual and the tank looks fairly easy to remove.

How much gas should I expect to drain from the tank and fuel line once I unhook the quick connect? The manual says there is a check valve in the fitting so the gas won't drain out of the tank, but I want to be sure I have a container big enough for any drainage. I will have a gallon or more left in the tank and don't want a major disaster in my garage. Thanks!
done mine 2 or 3 times just a drip or 2...goferit

Old 03-24-2009, 11:12 PM
leon anthony
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

be carefull when you take the cross over hose loose be prepared or all the gas
will flow out

Old 03-24-2009, 11:22 PM
King Crimson
Tourer

Just keep a rag under the quick release valve to catch some that will trickle out. 3 bolts and your done. About 3 minutes.

Old 03-25-2009, 12:22 AM
fairplay
Road Master

like the others said, the fuel supply will just drip a bit- do it with a rag under it. The bypass is the tuffy. clamp off each side and cut between the clamps. expect a little, again just use a rag. once the tank is off you can drain it the rest of the way. I bought a dry disconnect off ebay another member pointed out.

Old 03-25-2009, 02:02 AM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I installed wiring that required taking the tank off. Instead I took off all the fasteners and lifted it in the front with some cord tied around the grips. In the back I wrapped a small block of wood in a rag and wedged it underneath. You can get enough elevation to run wires without disconnecting everything, dripping gas and worrying about scratching the tank.

Old 03-25-2009, 08:52 PM
King Crimson
Tourer

Originally Posted by fairplay
like the others said, the fuel supply will just drip a bit- do it with a rag under it. The bypass is the tuffy. clamp off each side and cut between the clamps. expect a little, again just use a rag. once the tank is off you can drain it the rest of the way. I bought a dry disconnect off ebay another member pointed out.
Bypass? there's no bypass on an 08 streetglide.

Old 03-25-2009, 08:53 PM
King Crimson
Tourer

Originally Posted by tpmurray
I installed wiring that required taking the tank off. Instead I took off all the fasteners and lifted it in the front with some cord tied around the grips. In the back I wrapped a small block of wood in a rag and wedged it underneath. You can get enough elevation to run wires without disconnecting everything, dripping gas and worrying about scratching the tank.
There's no issue lifting the tank off. You need to unsnap the top of the plastic wiring channel. Better off lifting the tank off.

Old 03-25-2009, 08:55 PM
rjmac53
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

good tip murray...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2008 SG Fuel Tank Removal Question