Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BUB 7 True Dual or TD w/ crossover

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 09:16 AM
Boxer 6
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BUB 7 True Dual or TD w/ crossover

I'm reading allot about various exhaust systems on the forum. Seems like everyone who has the BUB 7's are happy with them and I like the tip angle to match the angle of my bags. Any words of wisdom on which BUB 7 systems to go for? TD or TD with a crossover. I'm into tone not volume. Thanks in adavnce!

Old 03-25-2009, 10:02 AM
nemick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the Bub 7 TD's on my '07 Road King. I went without the cross over. If I had it to do again, I would get the crossover. I don't know if there would be much difference in tone, but I always felt that I had lost a little bottom end torque. Just my .02

Old 03-25-2009, 10:33 AM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My personal experience is the same as mentioned. I'm not going for any high horsepower motor and I didn't want to lose any bottom end grunt since I mainly ride 2 up. As for sound, I love the way they sound. My brother has the Rhinehart TD, and they are louder.

The BUB's have a very nice growl and no tinnie sound at all, I'm very happy. I also happen to like the way they look on the bike and the way they frame in the V of the motor. It takes the exhaust away from your thigh and also makes getting at your oil dipstick easier.

Old 03-25-2009, 12:30 PM
Taylorized
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have Bub 7's on my 06 SG. I went for the with out crossover for looks. Love the sound and the look.

Old 03-25-2009, 12:56 PM
Boxer 6
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Taylorized
I have Bub 7's on my 06 SG. I went for the with out crossover for looks. Love the sound and the look.

Your bike is what got my attention on another thread. Your bike is real nice looking!! What did you do for fuel management?

Old 03-25-2009, 12:59 PM
garyhendley
Outstanding HDF Member

why would anyone want a exhaust pipe under there azz?? i went with true duals

you lose a little bottom not enough to notice i did not-ride safe

Old 03-25-2009, 01:04 PM
Taylorized
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Boxer 6
Your bike is what got my attention on another thread. Your bike is real nice looking!! What did you do for fuel management?
Don't ask First it was a SERT with a 2-1 Then put on the Bub's ran like crap Put on a PCIII but couldn't dial it in because the SERT. So last Friday I pulled the PCIII and had the SERT dyno tuned. Now I only getting 28mpg. Called dyno teck and working on a new tune.

Old 03-25-2009, 01:05 PM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by garyhendley
why would anyone want a exhaust pipe under there azz?? i went with true duals

you lose a little bottom not enough to notice i did not-ride safe

So you no longer have an exhaust pipe coming from the rear cylinder? Show us how you eliminated that........

Old 03-25-2009, 01:36 PM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

The True Duals w/ crossover are NOT true duals no matter what Bub wants to call them. They appear to be no different than the stock setup. If I'm wrong about this please show me the err in my way.
That being said you could sure save some money by putting on a pair of slip-ons and calling it good. While you're at it make sure the stock crossover pipe doesn't extend into the other pipes at the junction of either (at the "Y" and down at the front pipe). You can only determine this by removing the stock header and visually inspecting it (look inside). If it does clean it up with a die grinder before you reinstall it and it will breathe much better. I saw one stock crossover the was probably 50% occluded at both ends. Man did that thing run better after we cleaned those pipes up.

Old 03-25-2009, 01:55 PM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Leftcoaster
The True Duals w/ crossover are NOT true duals no matter what Bub wants to call them. They appear to be no different than the stock setup. If I'm wrong about this please show me the err in my way.
If you know someone who has them, take a look at the rear cylinder area where the crossover pipe T's up, and then look at a stock header. It allows for more exhaust to exit, as do the free flowing mufflers, through the left pipe while also balancing the flow as a stock header. Thus keeping the low end performance TD's generaly sacrifice.

Just one laymens attempt at understanding engineering