Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Touring Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by: Fuel Moto USA

P

Old 03-26-2009, 11:58 AM
Senior Rider
Default Changing rear tire on 07 FLHTC

Okay, I have a question for the all knowing members here. I am getting ready to change the rear tire on the scoot, a 07 electra glide classic. What is the best way to insure that the alignment is good afterwards? This one thing has me concerned on doing it myself.

Thanks for all that answer.

Ride safe and keep the rubber side down
07 FLHTC rider
Stage II
Coming soon
Old 03-26-2009, 12:01 PM
Outstanding HDF Member
Wide Open Cycles

The touring bikes have a cam mechanism on the axle, so there really isn't any alignment to worry about. Just make sure you get the secondary drive belt set right and you'll be good to go. Don't forget to use neverseize on your axle during re-assembly.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:14 PM
Road Captain

I marked the rear cam tensioner with a a Blk marker and piece of blue tape on the frame this way u have a idea where your adjustment was before u started..I have the tool to test belt tension the belt but was always within specsusing this mehod...
Rinehart Slipons SERT S/E AC
02 HD FLHTCUI SE Exhaust SE AC race fueler
Old 03-26-2009, 12:41 PM
Senior Rider

I had concerns about this as well. But after doin it, it was easy. The only adjustment is on the left side, right side follows. As stated above mark your cam in relation to swing arm before you start. It's really pretty easy........
SE255's
big sucker
sert
hogtunes
Old 03-26-2009, 12:44 PM
Hang Around

Changed mine last week on the 06 uc for the first time. Like the others have said the alignment is not a problem. I did find pulling off the rhineharts made it easier for a one man operation. No problems getting the axle and tire out, easier getting the belt back on, and can use a regular torque wrench for the axle nut.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:52 PM
Extreme HDF Member

You'll need two 36mm sockets (like these), or one socket and some other means to hold the left (bolt) side while torquing the nut. I have Progressive shocks and can't fit a large crescent wrench to hold the bolt, so I bought two sockets from Sears and a short (2') cheater bar from Harbor Freight Tools. Standing to the rear of the bike I hold the left side with the cheater bar and torque with my right hand. Having two people would be easier, but a second person isn't usually around at those times. It is a hassle, as once you have the belt adjusted properly if the bolt moves during torquing it will mess up that adjustment and you'll have to start over. It isn't easy applying 100 ft/lbs of TQ with your right hand while applying equal pressure in the opposite direction with your left.

Like 07JakeelwoodHD I marked my axle cam position on the frame, but I used red fingernail polish (the same shade I use on my toenails ), one small dot on both the cam and frame to show the position for proper belt adjustment.

Warning: Watch for a small rubber bumper on the front part of the brake-caliper housing. When you remove the housing that bumper will not be in the right place when you replace the housing unless you make an effort to position it properly. This is not even mentioned in the service manual to check this!

2007 Street Ultra
Stage 1: Fuel Moto Power Package, SE255 cams, Power Vision

Link to larger image

Last edited by iclick; 03-26-2009 at 01:00 PM..
Old 03-26-2009, 04:10 PM
Senior Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by iclick View Post
... Standing to the rear of the bike I hold the left side with the cheater bar and torque with my right hand. Having two people would be easier, but a second person isn't usually around at those times. It is a hassle, as once you have the belt adjusted properly if the bolt moves during torquing it will mess up that adjustment and you'll have to start over. It isn't easy applying 100 ft/lbs of TQ with your right hand while applying equal pressure in the opposite direction with your left.

Every time I do that I say I'm going to get that gizmo that holds the axle for you. But I never do.

I cannot find the link to it. It's just a piece of plate steel with a 36mm hex cut out and a long set screw you adjust to prevent the axle from rotating while you torque the nut.
Old 03-26-2009, 04:51 PM
Road Warrior

You may want to make sure you have the right wrenches, I use two 12" cresent wrenches and my right arm is my torque but I know there are those that have to get it to exactly 95-105 lbs. The kit has one in it but can't get much leverage with it.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:00 PM
Road Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugBYter View Post
It's just a piece of plate steel with a 36mm hex cut out and a long set screw you adjust to prevent the axle from rotating while you torque the nut.
Didn't your Ultra come with one of these in the tool kit ?

'84 FLTC .... It was fugly before fugly was cool !
Old 03-27-2009, 08:28 AM
Senior Rider

Morning everybody,
As usual, you are all the wizards for something this simple. Especially that rubber bumper on the brake caliper.

Thanks to all for answering. It is greatly appreciated! You people are truly family!!!

Ride safe and keep the rubber side down
07 FLHTC rider
Ride free and PROUD
Stage II
Coming soon
Old 03-27-2009, 08:28 AM

P