Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deutsch DT Series 3-Way Connectors

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 04:37 PM
saw*me
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deutsch DT Series 3-Way Connectors

I'm re-doing some wiring for the bag lights and relocating the connector for my tour pac. Are there any tricks using these connectors?

Name:  DT06-3S.jpg
Views: 1908
Size:  8.8 KB

Thanks in advance..

Tom

Old 03-28-2009, 04:55 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

No tricks per se. They are very well explained in the HD Service Manual in the appendix section at the back.

The pins/sockets need to be carefully crimped. Requires two crimps: one to secure the bare wire and a second to secure the insulated portion. The first crimp is a "B" shaped crimp and needs to be done carefully to allow the locking mechanism to function correctly to hold the pin/socket inside the connector.

Good luck with your project.

PS: If you don't have one, consider a Philmore WS 26 crimping tool ($7.99 at Fry's Electronics) or, better, Sargent crimp tool, BCT-1, $25 from Great Plains Electronics. The latter is a ratchet-type crimp tool and includes not only the "B" crimp, but the barrel crimp for the insulated wire crimp. Here's a good write-up with pics on what's involved:

http://www.aeroelectric.com/articles.../matenlok.html

Old 03-28-2009, 05:47 PM
saw*me
Tourer

Thank You very much!!

This explains alot.

Tom

Old 03-28-2009, 05:55 PM
rawdog1
6th Gear

I ordered my connectors direct from the company off the internet and they loaned me the crimper for I think it was 30 days for free.

Old 03-28-2009, 10:01 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 441 Likes on 246 Posts

I use the Deutsch DTm Series lots. I have never tried the aforementioned crimpers. I bought these type which costs around $260. They work way different than the ones above. To get this result I use the crimper below and in the center only

Old 03-29-2009, 12:13 AM
rgardjr
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I recently replaced my speedo and needed that middle crimper. I ended up buying a used one off Ebay and reselling it on Ebay. Cost me about $40-mostly in Ebay and PayPal fees, but the crimper worked perfectly for the solid barrel style duetsch pins.

Originally Posted by FastHarley
To get this result I use the crimper below and in the center only

Old 03-29-2009, 02:28 AM
karz10
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

FWIW, I just did a project w/ the 4 pin deutsch connectors. I got my harness all ready to go, pulled my wires through the proper holes for my project, and brought the wire harness, pin terminals and everything down to the HD dealer and explained I just needed 2 wires crimped and asked if they could help me, since the crimping tools are hard to come by.

Dealer number 1 said no problem, service manager took it in the back, and I think he did it himself, and apparently did not know what he was doing, they came back w/ both crimps on the insulation, and the wire stuffed up inside the pin. Rather than argue w/ them over something they did for free, I smiled and left and went to dealer number 2.

Dealer number 2 said be right back, about 10 minutes later (after tech had a minute I guess) guy comes out w/ the job done and the wires tucked back into the connector. After getting home, I got a pin to pull back the tab and pull out the terminals to confirm they were done correctly, which they were, so I was good to go.

So yeah, I spent some time and gas, but other than that, no cost.

Now, if you can't take your harness off the bike and need to crimp it on the bike for some reason, then you need to find a good crimper. I never thought about it until just now, but I wonder if some of those tool rental places might have these things?

All I know is there were none at any of the stores I could think of, and since there were so many different kinds online, I wasn't sure which one I needed anyway, hated to spend that much money and it not work out, so I tried the free dealer favor route.

YMMV.

Old 03-29-2009, 07:17 AM
sonetpro
Cruiser

I used a 4 pin so I could plug my minitach in the data port. I also used a 2 pin to have a removeable hardwire for the GPS.
I soldered the pins and crimped the insulation tabs with a regular wire crimper.

Old 03-29-2009, 07:51 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Great information. I've been looking for an economical way to do this myself, since I'm my mechanic. I can't justify $200 for a crimping tool.
Originally Posted by Harleypingman
No tricks per se. They are very well explained in the HD Service Manual in the appendix section at the back.

The pins/sockets need to be carefully crimped. Requires two crimps: one to secure the bare wire and a second to secure the insulated portion. The first crimp is a "B" shaped crimp and needs to be done carefully to allow the locking mechanism to function correctly to hold the pin/socket inside the connector.

Good luck with your project.

PS: If you don't have one, consider a Philmore WS 26 crimping tool ($7.99 at Fry's Electronics) or, better, Sargent crimp tool, BCT-1, $25 from Great Plains Electronics. The latter is a ratchet-type crimp tool and includes not only the "B" crimp, but the barrel crimp for the insulated wire crimp. Here's a good write-up with pics on what's involved:

http://www.aeroelectric.com/articles.../matenlok.html

Old 03-29-2009, 08:52 AM
DrPlastic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Harlypman

Those are Molex connectors in your link not the same as Deutsch.

I am an acft electrician and these are crimped the same as what is used in Cannon, Amphenol and Amp which s used in acft. Luckily I have a set of Daniels crimpers I got off eBay for cheap and does the same job.