Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wind Buffeting

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 11:27 AM
Open Road
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not the fairing, it's that windshield. Looks cool but worthless as a shield.

Get one of the newer style curved lip windshields (Windvest is what I have on both my bikes.....but owned a Clearview, previously) that's just a little taller and you're good to go.....local or cross country.

As I recall, my Heritage (1988) had a hell of a lot of wind buffetting with the windshield on. Street Glide will be much, much less, once you change the windshield.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:27 AM
Johan96
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Leftcoaster
You do get a little wind but there seems to be a high number of whiners that evidently have never ridden ANY unfaired bike. Try it once and you'll know what "buffeting" really is and just how much wind the batwing stops.
Good point! Getting my first tourer on Friday!

Old 04-01-2009, 12:30 PM
StreetGlideMedic
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those that bitch about the buffeting on fairing bikes have probably never ridden another bike without a windshield.

If you do get minor buffeting...you can replace windshields...put the fairing wings on...ajdust your seat height...maybe even a different helmet! Lot's of remedies and all alot better than riding at 70 without a windshield. Give me the minor buffeting anyday!

Ride Safe, Mike

Old 04-01-2009, 12:36 PM
rg_dave
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I put an 8" fastaire on mine and no problems. Going to an 8"clearview soon. My buddy has a Heritage and I have ridden it with and without a windshield as well as other bikes with a similar setup. I would say that my streetglide has much less buffetting than his bike.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:40 PM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by n8dc
mine is all stock (glide classic) as far as windshield and i used to ride and smoke all the time.. There is some wind but its nothing to worry about. You must be getting info from a bunch of rub's that need to drive their suv if the dont like a little wind
plus 1

Old 04-01-2009, 12:53 PM
MyClassic09
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just changed from a street bob with windshield to a EG Classic with a stock 12" plexi....I love it...I have no problems up to 90mph compared to that dyna...
Just bought a wider windshield that hovers above the speaker area so it will take more wind of shoulders...and Improve the sound from the speakers....
they are on ebay for cheap robin and pat clark...never heard one bad thing about them
800+ feedback with no neg or neutrals and half the price of harley...

Old 04-01-2009, 12:59 PM
Bluegrasser
Road Master

You do get a little wind but there seems to be a high number of whiners that evidently have never ridden ANY unfaired bike. Try it once and you'll know what "buffeting" really is and just how much wind the batwing stops.
Riding in the wind and dealing with buffeting are two totally different things. Give me an unfaired bike over a buffeting faired bike any day. I'd much rather feel the wind over my entire body than feel like my head is in a paint shaker.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:02 PM
DigDeluxe
Cruiser

if you don't like wind buy a cage.just kidding you'll love it. I just got mine 09 SG two weeks ago love it there is some wind but not enough to bother you till you get another windscreen 8"

Old 04-01-2009, 01:02 PM
honestbob
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wink

+1 I've ridden 5 or 6 hundred mile days without any shield and my arms and shoulders would be sore as hell and worn out from fighting the wind. My batwing is like 100% better I don't notice buffeting at all at highway speeds. If you can't take the little wind from a batwing maybe you ought to think about why you ride?

Old 04-01-2009, 01:15 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluegrasser
Riding in the wind and dealing with buffeting are two totally different things. Give me an unfaired bike over a buffeting faired bike any day. I'd much rather feel the wind over my entire body than feel like my head is in a paint shaker.
I agree. Going from my Road King Classic to my new SG, there is a vast difference between the wind of a RKC w/o a windshield and the buffeting of my SG. The biggest surprise for me was the buffeting around my legs. I have to move my legs out to find the low buffet zone. Not a problem, but it sure is different from the RKC.

Beary

Quick Reply: Wind Buffeting