Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wind Buffeting

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 06:37 AM
HotRodNut
Cruiser
Received 48 Likes on 20 Posts

I have read all these posts and appreciate all the input of everyone's experiences.

I have had 4 different windshields but went back to the stock FLHTCUL windshield. I decided to try another route by going with deflectors based on what I have read here.

After reading this thread I installed the Kuryakyn Triple Tree Wind Deflector last night but have yet to try it out.

Like others I was getting a little buffeting which was causing my eye glasses to bounce around and give a blurring effect. No glasses, no problem, no helmet, no problem.

I'm hoping this is the trick, thanks to this Forum again for the info that is presented. I am able to make my decisions based on your experiences and results!

Old 08-17-2016, 02:14 PM
Kacowboy
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by hog95023
I was going to buy item #3 the other day while at the Harley shop. the parts guy told me not to buy it because they prevent the engine from cooling in hot weather. during cool weather its fine but during the hot days is when you need the air flow the most. he said the item was discontinued as standard issue back in 2002 I believe. Not sure if this is true or not just passing on what I was told at the Harley shop.

The DK Customs website if you read about cooling down the motor says the same. They also state that a gas tank lift will stop the buffeting like the ashtray but will also cool off the motor. I am thinking of going with a 1.5" gas tank lift.

Old 08-17-2016, 02:24 PM
n8dc
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I did make a set of deflectors for my glide classic out of lexan and they worked pretty good for a fall ride to upper michigan but the next spring I took them off and never did any more. I was trying to find a way to market them but never came across a good cheap way to do it and make money !. Maybe since I am officially done with working a real job for a living I should look at this again. maybe I can couple it with my fuel line disconnect kits that ive been selling for a couple years on ebay . The other thing that held me back was demand . I put a feeler out and I wasnt overwhelmed with people that would possibly want a set and in order for me to do it myself and make money I was going to have to buy some equipment like a band saw and a sheet metal brake . One of the nice things of using lexan was you could paint the insides of the delfectors to match the bike and they wouldnt get scratched .
Thinking again though .
Dave

Old 08-17-2016, 02:32 PM
dynoflyer
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

My '14 SGS has one of the aerodynamic replacement windshields. Very happy with the reduced buffeting, almost no buffeting when coming up on a semi trailer on the highway. And, I can hear the music at anything less than 75.

Old 08-17-2016, 07:35 PM
jaxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by kissdrb
I ride a Heritage now and am looking to buy a new streetglide but I read a lot of reviews that speak negatively about how the batwing fairing creates wind buffeting at highway speeds. A lot of bikers with this fairing can't be wrong, could they? Looking for some pros & cons before making a a finale choice.

Thanks
Go for a ride and put your left arm across you chest ( like a salute) at 65-70. If that stops the buffeting the problem is the air coming from around and up from below. A taller shield won't fix it. Try some fork deflectors or lowers.

Old 08-19-2016, 09:52 PM
leftyjm
Road Warrior

Received 395 Likes on 270 Posts

That's why when I sold my 09 Heritage last year I bought a 2015 Road Glide Special. I'll tell you a secret, so are a lot of ex SG owners.
Lefty
2015 RGS

Old 08-20-2016, 01:18 AM
flex58
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go to the Dark Side, FLTRU.