Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Differences in Police vs. Stock FLHTP?????

Old 04-15-2009, 07:47 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by ABOKOL
Does anybody know the difference between a Police FLHTP vs. a stock FLHT (civilian) you could buy off the floor from the dealer. As far as engine upgrades or performance (not wiring). I have a 2006 FLHTP and find different info based on where you look. Just curious.
A couple of years ago, during a passing thunderstorm, I compared the major driveline components between police and civilian EG's using the parts books at my local HD store. IIRC, there is no difference in the engines in 2006. If your are really interested in knowing, just do the same. It will take you about 15 minutes.

As for wiring (which you don't seem interested in), both bikes use the same main wiring harness, but different interconnect harnesses and handlebar switches. If you plan to add cruise control, gauges, and handlebar controls for the radio, consider swapping out the interconnect harnesses for neater wiring.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:08 PM
Da Butcher
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Harleypingman, I've been meaning to comment on your bike. I like the Street Glide treatment you did to the rear of the bike and your "FLHTPX" designation. Good on both points.
I wonder if I can turn mine into an "FLHTPCU'!
Scrabble loves me!

Old 04-15-2009, 09:51 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Da Butcher
Harleypingman, I've been meaning to comment on your bike. I like the Street Glide treatment you did to the rear of the bike and your "FLHTPX" designation. Good on both points.
I wonder if I can turn mine into an "FLHTPCU'!
Scrabble loves me!
Well, I never set out to make a SG clone and haven't. Do what you like as you find the time and $$$.

Swapping the interconnect harness is a great time saver and opens up easy add-ons like gauges, cruise control, etc. I didn't do it that way and you can make all of this stuff work by modifying the police interconnect harness, but I've worn out the civilian and police wiring diagrams over the past 4 years doing it the "hard" way.

If you decide to add cruise control, you'll get the right side handlebar switches, and you can find the left side easily enough; usually when someone adds CB to a non-Ultra EG or SG. With the civilian interconnect harness and civilian handlebar switches, you can do whatever you want electrically speaking.

Hope you enjoy your '06 as much or more than I've enjoyed my '04.

Old 07-31-2009, 08:01 PM
RMSinger
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

-Driving lights don't turnoff with brights on
-Need to clutch to start bike

Old 08-29-2009, 07:28 PM
corrado1571
Stage I

I have a 2000 ex police bike and would like to restore it to original with lights and siren does any one know where a person can buy used?

Old 08-29-2009, 07:34 PM
CndUltra95
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by RMSinger
-Driving lights don't turnoff with brights on
-Need to clutch to start bike

RMSinger, good call, I was going to toss that lil bit of info there, but you beat me to it.
The other post with about 20 differances too, wow man, thanks for the heads up, I guess you missed the clutch/start bit , buts cause you covered all the other bits.
Now for the guy asking about lights and stuff, do a search on e-bay, its amazing the stuff you can/will find for your ride.
Rob

Old 11-06-2009, 10:08 PM
vertical horizons
Stage I

I am new to the Harley family.
Just sold my Yammie, and am looking forward to getting my 1st HD sometime in the near future.

I do have a question for you.
On a FLHTP or a FLHTPI, what is the purpose of the "hockey pucks" on the saddlebags?

Also, is there a difference between the FLHTP and the FLHTPI?

Old 11-06-2009, 10:24 PM
AZdryheat
Road Captain
Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

The cop bikes are falling apart, at least at my former department. The Harleys are not holding up to the demands required of them.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:46 PM
uncle bo
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my 98 flhpi is still going strong with 93,000 miles.retired from service with 63,000 miles.whats falling apart?kinda curious.

Old 11-07-2009, 12:14 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by vertical horizons
I am new to the Harley family.
Just sold my Yammie, and am looking forward to getting my 1st HD sometime in the near future.

I do have a question for you.
On a FLHTP or a FLHTPI, what is the purpose of the "hockey pucks" on the saddlebags? The hockey pucks rotate to keep the lid closed. Very handy because they permit the lids to opened and closed with one hand.

Also, is there a difference between the FLHTP and the FLHTPI?
The "I" stands for fuel injection; no "I" is a carbed bike. Since '07 model year, all of the bikes are fuel injected so the "I" is no longer used.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Differences in Police vs. Stock FLHTP?????