Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Screamin’ Eagle Hydraulic Cam Chain Tensioner Plate Upgrade Kit

Old 08-17-2010, 09:43 AM
silverbullitt
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We built two identical 95 inch upgrades. One on my buds 06, and my 05. I went with the SE cam plate and the hi volume oil pump, he didnt. Mine is much more quieter than his as far as engine noise. He is pissed!

Old 08-17-2010, 10:59 AM
TMair
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had my tensioners replaced with the hydro kit, I don't realy notice much difference, but then again I didn't expect to notice a difference, but now I don't have to worry about it, plan on keeping the bike a long time, the misses won't let me swap it out for a new...er one
Terry

Old 08-17-2010, 12:18 PM
MyFirstHD
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had mine upgraded two weeks ago with 44K on the bike. One shoe was a hair away from grinding my chain. I was almost too late.
$800 from and Indy (Certified HD) mechanic includes cam bearings and oil change. The only oil pressure difference I notice is at idle. My oil light used to come on but doesn't anymore. Maybe that's the new pump.
One problem during installation: a stuck check ball. He said this is the second time in 6 months he's seen the check ball stuck preventing any oiling because the port was anodized.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:30 PM
shortbox
Novice

I just had the hydraulic tensioner installed on my 2006 Street Glide. This was in addition to the replacement of the entire cam compartment after I spun a cam bearing at 35840 miles. The replacement parts were part of the Screemin Eagle kit that you mention.

The HD shop where I get my work done (which seems to be very efficient and honest) said that they have bikes out there with well over 50K miles with the hydraulic tensioner without any problems. I purchased the extended 7 year unlimited warranty with the bike so that covered the cam compartment parts/labor and the labor on the hydraulic tensioner.

Something to consider, even the warranty people pay for timken bearings for the cam plate as they are considered to be much better than the HD bearings.

The spun bearing raises the issue of what oil to use. I used SYN-3 until I spun the bearing and have since reverted to the regular 20-50. I have yet to find a shop where the techs use the synthetic. Was the oil to blame? Who knows.

Good luck with the new cams.

Shortbox.

Sometimes it takes two tanks of gas to get one's head straightend out.

Old 08-29-2010, 09:49 PM
ThomasAS
Stage II
Default new tensioners just installed

HD service installed new cam plate, tensioners and high flow oil pump. Had a high pitched noise like metal on metal for first couple miles then it was quiet, for a while. noise came back now, 1300 miles later, it's present most of the time. Louder when the engine is cold. very noticeable at about 2500 rpms in 2nd gear. HD says the noise is 'no problem'. Any other experiences out there?

Old 08-29-2010, 10:04 PM
ThomasAS
Stage II

What are the symptons of a 'stuck check ball?' My new cam chain tensioner system is giving me a high pitched noise.

Old 09-09-2010, 02:48 PM
mrnone
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Cool pictures of what I had goin on in my camchest

http://werule.com/images/camshoe1.jpg
http://werule.com/images/camshoe2.jpg
http://werule.com/images/camshoe3.jpg

2005 e glide standard 88" (not for long now) got new harley billet caM PLATE UPGRADE WITH new andrews 37 cams and new lifters kit came with more efficient oil pump. in one pic you can see how far I was cutting into the metal part of the shoe I was not far from calling a tow truck . these are pictures of the second set of shoes that were installed at 25000 got 59000 on bike now...

I got mine done for 1200 parts and labor took a day
(thanx Jim) my bike hauls *** now and I can't even hear my motor anymore. it was rattling like a bitch when I had it done. everyone says "its supposed to make that noise it's got hydraulic lifters"(which had gouges in them deep enough to catch my thumb nail) I beg to differ. I'm riding a thousand miles this weekend see how this all plays out. I meet a lot of guys say they got 60k on their bike and no probs. I was wondering if one of y'all could buy me a couple lottery tickets.

this link is one of the ways to fix an inherent mistake on your early twin cam. again wow is all I gotta say about the difference.
harley billet upgrade

Last edited by mrnone; 09-14-2010 at 06:17 AM. Reason: f'd a link to a pic up
Old 09-09-2010, 03:59 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Having been riding for 44/45 years, I have developed the K.I.S.S. Theory. If something works, don't fix it.

The drivability (ride-ability) of any vehicle depends on it to perform as the design intended it to in it's basic form. This opinion does not apply to cosmetic accessories. Only those modifications that significantly affects the engine performance.

One of the reasons I believe this is because, I have heard and witnessed most of the complaints of mechanical, electrical failure from those that have made drive train modifications.

Even though a factory builds into a design a certain amount of tolerance for limited modifications, my convictions are that if you leave it alone, it will last longer.

Now I don't know much about Harley motorcycles in general nor anything about the engineering and design efforts put into the brand but any component that is subject to need replacing at 30,000 miles or replacing it early to make it last longer doesn't say much for it manufacturer.

Now for the 'ing.

Last edited by shortride; 09-09-2010 at 04:06 PM.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:17 PM
MyFirstHD
Road Master

Originally Posted by ThomasAS
What are the symptons of a 'stuck check ball?' My new cam chain tensioner system is giving me a high pitched noise.
Reduced Oil Pressure. My engine was louder and the oil pressure gage did not come up.

Old 09-14-2010, 06:29 AM
mrnone
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

update 700 miles later. went to the sequoias this weekend. uphill 2 up and a massive load of crap on the bike I managed to get 37 miles to the gallon! I was getting 29-31 1 up. b4 the upgrade. I have much more power. I am really ready to do the 95" upgrade and power commander or equivalent.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Screamin’ Eagle Hydraulic Cam Chain Tensioner Plate Upgrade Kit