Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed CB Radio on FLHX - INOP

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 02:30 PM
ddwyer
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed CB Radio on FLHX - INOP

I installed the CB module, console and antenna kit on my 08 Street Glide over the past week. However, I cannot seem to get the CB functioning. Since I've never had a CB on a HD before, I'm not even sure how to operate it.

Do I trigger the CB function by using COM on the radio, or by using the Mode button on the right hand control?

Either way here are the results:
- COM button on radio - Displays "Not Installed See Dealer"
- Mode button on right hand control - Does not list CB as a "band"

The Speaker switch installed on my fairing cap operates in the middle position, turns the external speakers off when I push up, and lights up with I push it down (not sure what this is supposed to do).

The replacement left hand controls appear to be working. However, it does not appear I can trigger the PTT button or SQ+-, probably since I'm not in CB mode.

I purchased the overlay harness and everything is plugged in as it should (summary below).

- Overlay Harness to back of Radio
- CB Module to CB port on harness
- CB Antenna to back of CB Module
- Console plug to Overlay Harness (front/intercom)
- Speaker switch plugged into Cruise Control harness

Can anyone tell me if I'm on the right track - not sure what to do to get the radio to recognize the CB module?

Old 04-05-2009, 02:18 PM
ddwyer
Tourer

Took my bike up to the dealer today to drop it off for service. Service tech said the radio has to be flashed for the CB to work. Looks like the dealer will get $45 out of me for this one - you gotta love it. We'll see if that fixes the issue.

Anyone have a website for the IMC headset (wrap behind the ear) with any discounted price?

Old 04-05-2009, 03:46 PM
rjmac53
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

let us know what the fix is....

Old 04-06-2009, 02:37 AM
GT_RoadGlide
Road Master

On my 07 RG when the CB was installed the radio had to be flashed. Also when I added the rear speakers.

Old 04-06-2009, 06:24 AM
cfmii11
Road Master

Looks like your credit card going to get flashed also.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:57 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by GT_RoadGlide
On my 07 RG when the CB was installed the radio had to be flashed. Also when I added the rear speakers.
Interesting that the Parts & Accessory catalog description says dealer installation (presumably the flash) is required for the rear speakers, but says nothing about dealer installation being required for the CB installation.

Hope you get your issue resolved.

Old 04-06-2009, 04:28 PM
iunlocku
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The next question is if it has to be flashed can us average joe's do it or is it some kind of dealer voodoo? I'm just waiting for all the parts to get here to do the same install on my 2006 FLHXi. The only difference is I have a detachable tour pak so I need the Antenna relocation kit as well as all the parts that you got. I thinking about getting the J & M kit that allow you to use Harley helmet rig plugged into your CB Console with your Zumo 550. Any body have any experience with that as well? I guess that answers that, looks like I need to get the CB Working first before add J & M Kit to keep the variables to a minimum of why it may not be working.

Old 04-06-2009, 05:13 PM
Racer-X
Novice

Iron Cross Audio can code the units...ironcrossaudio@verizon.net.
That being said, the radio does not have to be flashed for a CB module installation. The radio and CB communicate via the CAN BUS. The radio contains the can bus controller. If everything was installed correctly and both units function, there is no flash required. The same holds true for the Nav module and the Bluetooth module. The "flashable" options on the radio are the intercom, country code, and fader control for optional rear speakers. Your dealer may be doing $45 worth of work to get the CB going, but it's certainly not by flashing it.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:58 AM
ddwyer
Tourer

Interesting, but there isn't much to hooking up the overlay harness and CB module. When I push the COM button it stated "Option not installed, see dealer". I'm scheduled to pick my bike up today or tomorrow (if I can get out of work at a reasonable hour). I'll keep you posted.

Old 04-12-2009, 04:52 PM
ddwyer
Tourer

Picked my bike up from the dealer. They said I had everything hooked up correctly, but there was a software update they had to apply to the radio to get the CB to operate/recognize.

Bottom line - the CB works now.

Quick Reply: Installed CB Radio on FLHX - INOP