Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Progressive Drop In Spring Lowering Kit

Old 01-07-2010, 07:55 AM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Progressive Drop In Spring Lowering Kit

I posted this in the Suspension Forum also, but thought someone here may be of help also. I got a set of Progressive "Drop In" springs from Eastern Performance yesterday and I'm looking through the directions. The instructions say to remove any previous lowering kit components, which leads me to the question, does this include the damper tubes? I have an HD lowering kit in my Road King now, and understand the need to change out the springs. Does anyone know the big difference between the stock damper tube and the one included with the HD lowering kit? They do have different part numbers but beyond that, I don't know. I won't have to take the entire front end apart (again), just take off the fork caps and actually "drop in" the new springs.

The funny thing is that Paragraph 3 "Per the instructions in ...shop manual, remove the forks from the motorcycle. This will entail removing the wheel, fender and possibly several other items, depending on the model.." Drop in springs? Who wrote those directions?

If anyone can enlighten me on the damper tubes, I'd appreciate it, even though I may just leave them in and see how the ride is with the Progressive springs.

Thanks.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:42 AM
drewski1325
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The HD dampening tubes in their lowering kit are a different length than stock. I don't remember if they are shorter or longer but a different length. I believe they are so they don't have to use a top out spring or spacer. They are gunna have to come out just like the instructions said.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:45 AM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,930 Likes on 1,914 Posts

It is anything but "drop in" for an FL front end.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:38 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Got my answer

Well I got the answer I was looking for. I finally got the chance to call Progressive this morning and s/w a very cheerful lady tech who sounded like she had answered my questioin a dozen or more times. While Progressive "officially" recommends removing the HD kit damper tube, she said that many users have left it in and had no problems. I say "officially" due to liability concerns and her explanation that Progressive had not fully tested their drop in spirngs with the HD lowering kit's damper tube.

So, thanks to all who at least took the time to look at this post. Great customer service at Progressive.