Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stereo question 06 Electra Glide Standard

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 09:00 PM
dnix06EGS
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question stereo question 06 Electra Glide Standard

I have an 06 FI Electra Glide Standard. It has no radio at all when I purchased it new. What do I need to put a radio in it? Either, stock or otherwise. Thanks, David

Old 04-12-2009, 09:11 PM
Gtsdesigns
Road Master

Originally Posted by dnix06EGS
I have an 06 FI Electra Glide Standard. It has no radio at all when I purchased it new. What do I need to put a radio in it? Either, stock or otherwise. Thanks, David
assuming there is a factory harness for the radio?, behind the fairing, just click on the link in my sig... the one that says 2007 streetglide...
if there isnt a factory radio harness, you will need to find your own, +12volt constant, acc. and ground, but it is fairly simple
there are many options, what i would rec. is using an arc mini, hawg-wired radio install kit, a decent radio.. and some decent 5.25 components w/ speaker mounted tweeter

Old 04-12-2009, 09:12 PM
briggs07
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Im not sure about 06 but my 08 had all the wiring to plug in a factory harmon kardon radio. Just had to add an antena. I used that wiring though to install a pioneer head unit with a module to use the factory handlebar controls with the pioneer radio. I just mounted the radio right into the plastic box thats in place of the radio on the standards. Some companys do make kits though to install aftermarket radios that make it just plug and play. Maybe check out hog tunes? Also I believe the speaker size youll need is 5 1/4". Im sure somebody could be a little more specific to your questions for your 06 though. Good luck!

Heres a picture of my setup. I made a leather flap to fit over the radio to protect it and to keep peoples hands off it!

Attached Thumbnails stereo question 06 Electra Glide Standard-hpim0286.jpg  
Old 04-12-2009, 09:14 PM
Gtsdesigns
Road Master

and yes, if you have hand controls, hawg-wired makes a universal plug and play that will work for many radios, or other co.s make stuff too. depends on your preference

Old 04-12-2009, 09:19 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Your '06 EG Standard has all the wiring you need to install a Harmon Kardon headunit. If you want handlebar controls of an aftermarket headunit, Hawg-wired and Biketronics offer modules that go between the bike's audio wiring and the aftermarket headunit to allow handlebar controls to work. Firecap501, and HDF member, also offers a module. Check with these vendors for compatability of their module with various aftermarket headunits.

Both HW and Biketronics offer installation kits to mount the headunit--both kits remove the plastic tray and use the brackets that HD uses for their OEM headunit.

Good luck with your project.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:25 PM
scoteh
Club Member
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts
Old 04-12-2009, 09:32 PM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
Your '06 EG Standard has all the wiring you need to install a Harmon Kardon headunit. If you want handlebar controls of an aftermarket headunit, Hawg-wired and Biketronics offer modules that go between the bike's audio wiring and the aftermarket headunit to allow handlebar controls to work. Firecap501, and HDF member, also offers a module. Check with these vendors for compatability of their module with various aftermarket headunits.

Both HW and Biketronics offer installation kits to mount the headunit--both kits remove the plastic tray and use the brackets that HD uses for their OEM headunit.

Good luck with your project.
PLus one exactly what pingman said

Old 04-13-2009, 08:15 AM
JustDennis
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

As the others have said, your bike should have all the wiring needed. I bought a 08 EGS and then bought a stock HD HK radio. I bought the radio on this forum from a member who removed it to go to aftermarket stereo. It plugged right in and I had to add an antenna. Works great. I did install hogtunes speakers instead of the stock ones. I never had a radio on a bike before and I do enjoy it from time to time. Good luck on the project.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:56 AM
BillyG0856
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scoteh

I just did this upgrade within the last month. Save yourself the headaches.....go with the Biketronics kit.....either with their Titan Hertz speakers, or Hogtunes 0914 speakers....fairing mount. They offer both with their kit. Or...you can order the Hogtunes directly, add a few xtra $$s and get the HogPod tweeters setup. Everything is 100% plug-n-play.

I went this route....it's SIMPLE to install...handlebar controls work GREAT!!! The HARDEST thing about the whole install was dealing with my fat fingers.
  • Biketronics Retro Radio Audio Package (I bought the Retro Radio Kit minus the speakers. Give Mike a call @ Biketronics)
  • Hogtunes Speakers and HogPod Tweeters (I ordered my speakers directly from Pez @ Hogtunes. Give him a call..he'll answer ANY questions you might have .... even make suggestions for FUTURE upgrades you might be interested in. Let him know you're a forum member too!)

I bought a $20 4gb flash drive from Best Buy, filled it with MP3s, and have added Sirius satellite radio. The Hogtunes / HogPods have a good sound behind a SONY CDX 630UI stereo....and with the AVC in the Biketronics kit, just set the volume at your level....and let SPEED take care of the rest. Im going to add the external antenna to my tour pak. In the near future, fairing lowers and Pez's "Lowers Speaker Kit" are going to be added.

Once again, call Mike and Pez. You WONT be disappointed!

Billy G

Old 04-13-2009, 10:58 AM
Gtsdesigns
Road Master

i do have a stock radio, off the 2007 streetglide, if interested and not wanting to do anything aftermarket

Quick Reply: stereo question 06 Electra Glide Standard