Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on replacing drive belt

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 09:37 PM
Digger53
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Advice on replacing drive belt

My 07' UC is in the shop having a new stator installed. Stator plug stared leaking oil. Service writer just called and told me my drive belt and sprockets are worn and advise me that I should replace them. Parts are over 600 dollars and since they are already in there, labor is only a couple of hours. Guess what I'm asking do these parts wear out in 84,000 miles? I haven't checked, but dealer is saying the ESP does not cover any of the parts.

The service manual reads on wheel sprocket replacement: Without obvious DAMAGE, rear wheel sprocket replacement may be a subjective decision based on general appearance.

Anyone here replace their drive belt and sprockets because of wear? If so what kind of mileage did you get out of them? I just want to make sure dealer is being up front with me and I'm not needing work that's not needed at this time. I say this because I just had my bike serviced 2500 miles ago and that dealer did not say anything about the drive belt or wheel sprocket needing to be replaced. (I had new rear tire installed) I also had the clutch replaced at 75,000 miles and nothing was said about the Transmission Sprocket. Maybe my dealer does a better job in checking things out, where as the other one might not check things out as much, where I had the service, clutch and tire done.

Digger
Camas, WA

Old 04-18-2009, 10:35 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I'd go to the dealer and ask them to show you the worn/damaged belt and sprockt. If they need to be replaced the damage should be obvious.

Old 04-19-2009, 08:12 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

I did a search here and it looks like the majority of belts that were replaced were because of damage,rocks,puntures ,etc-.These were failures with low miles.
One guy replaced his around 80000 miles because he had to remove the inner primary for some work.
Some reported they had more than 100000 miles with the stock belt in good condition.
As Jim said,I would want to look at the belt and pulleys before agreeing to the work.

Old 04-19-2009, 08:29 AM
SG 1
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree. Try to get a look at the worn parts then make a decession. With that many miles and they are already in it any way, I'd probably replace.

Old 04-19-2009, 08:39 AM
gabulldog
Tourer

My bike has 65K miles on it, I'm changing to a smaller belt so I can use a larger tire, when I look at the new (0 miles) pulley I bought and look at my pully with 65K miles I see no evidence of wear, my belt doesn't have any cracks, seperations, dry look or anything. Like someone said I'd go down and look. I bought new pullys (HD), belt (Gates) for $250.00 on e-bay. It sound like $600 is high for the parts. G

Old 04-19-2009, 08:43 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

The dealer is correct in saying the belt and sprocket are NOT covered under the ESP: "SOME EXAMPLES OF NONCOVERED PARTS: Final drive chain or belt and rear sprocket . . ." Section 8. Noncovered Parts and Maintenance Services.

You didn't ask about the ESP coverage, but thought it worth checking for my own curiousity.

Personally inspect the parts and satisfy yourself that they are worn and need replacing.

Old 04-19-2009, 09:00 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Old 04-19-2009, 09:02 AM
ojgp
Advanced

heheheheh Murphy's Belt Law - If things are enough apart to make it easy to replace it now, it will soon break if you don't replace it.

Actually I would go have a looksee myself. Except for the inconvenience, you won't save anything doing it later instead of now if there's some life left in the belt and sprockets...or perhaps save the task (and some bucks) for a DIY winter project?

Old 04-19-2009, 11:12 PM
gregm
Cruiser
Default Adivce on replacing belt drive

'07 with 84000 miles, I am impressed! Mine has less than half that, I'll be watching the replys for my own future use. Good luck.
Gregm

Old 04-19-2009, 11:37 PM
Digger53
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Jim Dawson
I'd go to the dealer and ask them to show you the worn/damaged belt and sprockt. If they need to be replaced the damage should be obvious.
I made a run down to the dealer today to take a look at the Belt and Wheel Sprocket. The service writer told me the belt was worn over the phone yesterday, even when I asked if the belt was damage she told me "NO" just showing wear on it. That was not the case at all, looks like I picked up a rock or something that tore up quite a few of the teeth and did a number on the wheel sprocket. Guess she didn't take the time to go back there and look at it.

I'm hoping they will get the parts in time for me to leave the end of the week to Vicksburg, MS for a Crawfish Run.

Thanks for all the replies back........

Digger
Camas, WA

Quick Reply: Advice on replacing drive belt