Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Syn oil Vs Reg oil

Old 04-20-2009, 08:11 PM
UltraJay
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Syn oil Vs Reg oil

I have synthetic oil in my Ultra. Just talked to the dealer about oil temperature and he said I should change back to regular oil due to some failures that they are seeing. Anyone got any other feedback?

Old 04-20-2009, 08:26 PM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Im glad you asked. Ive heard the same thing. I was told that the needle bearings are failing because it is too slick and they skate rather than roll causing flat spots on the needles that leads to them failing. I am running the regular HD oil in my evo motor right now and bel ray synthetic in the tranny. I just ordered a new bike though and I understand the factory uses the synthetic in them?

Old 04-20-2009, 08:31 PM
UltraJay
1st Gear

Sounds like we talked to the same Tech. Good for you on the bike but I am keeeping mine for awhile and want it to last. The tech said keep the Syn in the tranny just change the motor oil back to regular oil.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:35 PM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've always run the regular in mine and have had no issues. With the amount of dust we have in NM, I do the 1000 and 5000 miles complete service, but change the oil every 2500 miles.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:55 PM
madurodave
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will stick with synthetic. I use Mobil 1. Too much great experince with long life on motors using synthetic to stop now. Also, many here have run synthetic for years with greatly reduced wear on the engines and no issues.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:58 PM
wolfman 66
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If its so slick the bearings skate how do the bearings get flat spots?

Old 04-20-2009, 08:59 PM
Bill G
Road Captain
Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 1931jamesw
Im glad you asked. Ive heard the same thing. I was told that the needle bearings are failing because it is too slick and they skate rather than roll causing flat spots on the needles that leads to them failing. I am running the regular HD oil in my evo motor right now and bel ray synthetic in the tranny. I just ordered a new bike though and I understand the factory uses the synthetic in them?
I have quite often wondered if there's any truth to this subject concerning needle bearings, very interesting. I have never seen any evidence proving synthetics cause this problem or any others for that fact. I do plan to continue with The HD-360 Dino 20/50 oil in my new 09 SG as I believe the top end is quieter with it. Also modern oils both Dino and Synthetics will go the 5000 mile oil change intervals with no problems that the owners manual recommends see question #8 below.

HD-360 Dino oil questions and answers from Harley shown below. Questions# 4,5 & 8 have interesting answers from the MoCo.

Ride Safe,
Bill G

Ten Questions and Answers About Motorcycle Oil For Your Harley-Davidson

The Following Information was provide by
Harley- Davidson Service, 3rd Floor.

1. Why should I use Harley-Davidson Motorcycle oil?

This is the only available motorcycle oil specially developed for Harley-Davidson motorcycle engines. It is also the only available oil tested for two years by our engineering staff on engine dynamometer stands in Milwaukee and motorcycle track tests at Talladega. And in other tests, Harley-Davidson has found it to be superior to other oils.

2. Can I use aviation oils in my Harley-Davidson?

We do not recommend this, because these oils do not contain an important additive that provides good wear protection of the Harley-Davidson engine.

3. What viscosity grade should I use in my Harley-Davidson?

The recommended viscosity grade for use in all temperatures is SAE 20W50 Harley-Davidson Oil. The SAE 50 grade is satisfactory in ambient temperatures of 60 deg to 90 deg F, and the SAE 60 grade is appropriate for ambient temperatures above 80 deg to over 100 deg F.

4. At what temperature will Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Oil
break down?

This oil has been designed for use at temperatures up to 300 deg F for extended periods with no significant breakdown.

5. What oil temperature is best for my Harley-Davidson?

A good oil operating temperature range is 200 deg to 240 deg F. Water condensation and acids tend to build up in the oil if the temperature is consistently below 180 deg F, and oil thickness can become marginal at temperatures above 300 deg F.

6. Does Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Oil do anything besides
lubricate engine parts?

Yes. Besides lubricating engine parts and preventing wear, it protects the engine from rust and corrosion, keeps the inside of the engine clean, cools engine parts and "seals in" combustion pressures, prevents foaming, permits easy starting and quick oil circulation, and reduces friction and power loss.

7. Is it true that oil never wears out?

No. All motor oils wear out. During normal use, the oil molecules undergo a chemical reaction with oxygen and begin to break down; additives in the oil become depleted; and contaminants like water, gasoline, soot and dust get mixed in with the oil. Therefore, your motorcycle oil needs to be changed at the interval recommended by Harley-Davidson.

8. Can I go longer between oil changes if I put in a new oil
filter?

No. The filter keeps the oil free of solid matter, but it doesn't remove water, gasoline or acids. Also, it can't pinch-hit for additives that become used up. Follow Harley-Davidson's recommended intervals for oil and oil filter changes, and don't expect a new filter to extend the life of the oil.

9. Is it okay to mix Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Oil with a
different brand?

Harley-Davidson Motorcycle oil is compatible with other petroleum oils. However, mixing with another oil will reduce the superior engine protection of Harley-Davidson oil, so this should be done only when absolutely necessary.

10. Does it help to put in a can of additive with each oil
change?

No. Just as you wouldn't add sugar to a bottle of soda, you shouldn't use additives with Harley-Davidson Motorcycle oil. It already contains the right additives in the correct amounts to last between recommended oil changes. More additives won't help. In Fact, they might upset the oil chemistry and create problems you wouldn't ordinarily have. Use Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Oil and forget the extra can of additive. It's money down the drain.

Attached Thumbnails Syn oil Vs Reg oil-harley-pics-all-done-019.jpg   Syn oil Vs Reg oil-harley-pics-all-done-017.jpg  

Last edited by Bill G; 04-20-2009 at 09:16 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-20-2009, 09:00 PM
kromdom
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jay,
Ask your guy why the CVO bikes come with syn 3 in all 3 holes then? Whats a new week without a thread about oil?

Old 04-20-2009, 09:19 PM
kingkingking
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mmm, sounds like an old wives tale. The oil is so slippery that bearings no longer rotate, they slide??

As someone said earlier, if this was the case then the sliding bearings would not wear as they have so little friction with their surroundings due to this wonder oil. If there was any friction the bearings would simply rotate and not wear. This sounds physically impossible to me.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:24 PM
UltraJay
1st Gear

Thanks everyone for the replys. I will ask about the new bikes with Syn. Both my buddies new bikes have the Syn. Slick with the flats spots is a good question but two of us have heard the same problem occuring with the Syn on the bearings. I have also heard that the noise is a little less with the fossil type. The other read was that the Mobil One is a little better than the HD especially on the heat side.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Syn oil Vs Reg oil