Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear shock air pressure

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 09:32 PM
SUPRPIG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the manual... took the bike in for service and asked them to check the pressure on my 09 and they said it was 12 pounds and fine! Not according to my manual. Invested in a pump, love it, and it works as promised. Must buy item. I run 30 pounds solo.

Old 06-14-2011, 01:05 AM
SlashX
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK I"m confused. I have an 08 Ultra - the manual says run approx 15 lbs yet at 25 lbs psi my wife and I (combined <350 lbs) bottom out all the time - tire is stock dunlop HD and it is contacting the fender. Rear shocks are stock too - 50,000 miles... do these shocks wear out in this time frame? Should I exceed the air pressure recommendations???

Old 06-14-2011, 04:21 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

Originally Posted by XTrooper3936
Your shocks have issues if you need 40 psi to keep from bottoming out. I weigh 180 lbs, my wife 135, and I run at 12 psi and have yet to bottom out even when crossing railroad tracks.

Disregard Street Glide data. They come with shorter shocks that use more air pressure.
What year is your bike? I don’t know what year it changed but my 03 takes much lower pressures than these 09s. People should check their manual. Pressure should be checked monthly.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:27 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

Originally Posted by emwolb
hey jerm21 you really do need to spend the money on the little pump, it has the gauge and an air bleeder with it, and it is weird how it works, it just spurts a little bit of air each pump, and even though it will take up a bit of room in the saddlebag, it comes in a well protected, albeit bigger than need be box. now that's something that needs a hard plastic sort of foam protected box. hmm, good thinkin.... note to self, find out if there is demand for such a product at a reasonable price. retirement, here i come. nice thread, as i am still not sure what psi to run in my 08
streetglide with solo me weighing 200#. lots of useful information in this forum, i'm glad i found it.
I threw the box and the top foam out and store in a Glad type disposable container. Works perfect. Was free too, from my wife's kitchen.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:49 AM
hdnvn
Tourer

Originally Posted by candyx
2008 FLHX used to bottom out when riding two up at the slightest bump in the road.I solved the problem i use zero air pressure in them now and that has eliminated the bottoming out completely because they are sitting on my shelf in the progressive 440 box.Those HD air shocks fit prefect in that progressive box too ,its like the HD air shocks were built for that box by engineers.
Funny...

Old 06-14-2011, 10:10 AM
rdglider
Cruiser

I have an 08 Ultra -

I'm not sure about an 08 but my 09 Road Glide does it all the time and has since the day I bought it. The suspension is poor.

I understand this to be a typical problem that Harley seems to know about but doesn't support.

The concenus seems to be the shocks are too short. Maybe it's intentional to grab more $$$ by the stealerships?

Old 06-15-2011, 11:04 AM
XSKIPRO
Advanced

Does anyone know what the max pressure is ?
I have an 2002 EGC and manual says about 25lbs anyone know what the correct max is?

Old 06-15-2011, 11:51 AM
xcelr8
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to think that the people that wrote the owners manual know what they are talking about. Read the whole section; it will tell you the differant pressures to be used under differant conditions.

Old 06-15-2011, 04:41 PM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dune2008
I have a '09 Ultra and 2-up I need to run 40 psi or I seem to bottom out all the time. Im 200lbs and the GF is tiny....my '03 Classic never seemed to have this issue. I also have the HD pump. Anyone else have a 'bottoming-out' issue?
yes, I'm 280, most of the girls that ride with me are 150+. It got better with 20W oil in the shocks and 30PSI of air in the shocks, but it will still happen.

Wonder if I could find a cheap coil over spring set.

Old 06-15-2011, 06:39 PM
fastball44
Novice

I have a 1996 Ultra and just changed out the rear air shocks to Progressive 11" 412 shocks in black. I ordered the Heavy Duty version. I bought them new on E-bay from a retailer for $209.00 and free shipping. Best suspension money I have ever spent.

They lowered my ultra about 1 3/4 inches. I used the stock setting. I'm 6ft and weigh 235 lb. Cornering is better. Ride is solid. I never ride two up. The suspension and lower center of gravity are huge improvements. I could never get the air shocks to feel right.

I searched out bumps and low manhole covers and found the shocks to be stiffer than stock, but absolutely no wallow.

My analogy would be going from a Lincoln Town Car ride to a 7 Series BMW. Plus, my feet are flat on the ground now.

Years ago, I used lowering brackets. Never again for me. It took me about an hour to install the shocks. Progressive provides all the proper hardware to make the shocks fit perfectly.

I have decided to not lower the front end. For me the look and stance is just right now.

Take care all.

Quick Reply: Rear shock air pressure