Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear shock air pressure

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 11:24 AM
danosrs
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased an 04 RK Custom and when I picked up the bike the guy was not able to find the owners manual for the 04 and gave me one for an 07. he said it was the same but as we know its not since the 07's came with 96 inch and 6 speed.

My question is about the rear suspension pressure, is it the same between the 04 and 07? the manual I have says:

FLHRS and FLHX

Solo rider, 160-200 0-10 psi

Rider with passenger weight of: up to 150 20-30 psi

Maximum GVWR 40-50 psi

Old 06-16-2011, 11:44 AM
Louie Champan
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently purchased an 2011 SG and the dealer delivered it with about 6 lbs in the shocks. I typically ride solo and have a sweet ride with around 20 lbs in the shocks. By the way, I've tried three different bicycle pumps and returned them all and went with the one on ebay that was recommended on in this thread.

Louie

Old 06-16-2011, 08:14 PM
Grizcat68
Advanced

Running a 2011 StreetGlide with new RoadKing shocks and dialing the ride in for my weight of 217lbs solo. I was running 10psi in the shocks and liked the soft ride, but today I decided to bump it up to 15psi and road it 350 miles. Found this to be slightly to stiff so will be running at 12psi which should be perfect! With 130 lb passenger I find that 22 psi works well as long as I can keep her still! Hope this helps someone for a starting point. Oh yeah, 38 psi in the tires also.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:13 PM
Ole T Sport
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Zero when left the dealer, rode a bit with 18, bottomed out a few times, set her at 27 as the manual states and no problems.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:44 AM
rdglider
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Dune2008
I have a '09 Ultra and 2-up I need to run 40 psi or I seem to bottom out all the time. Im 200lbs and the GF is tiny....my '03 Classic never seemed to have this issue. I also have the HD pump. Anyone else have a 'bottoming-out' issue?
I`ve had the same problem on my 09 Fltr. since day one.

I need to keep a vigilant eye on my shock pressure.

If I didn`t constantly monitor it would be dangerous, although, I am a fat ****...lol

Old 06-18-2011, 08:39 AM
SUPRPIG
Road Master

I run 35 in my 09 EGC solo... winter pot holes here require it.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:58 PM
endress1
Intermediate
Default Rear shocks (07 electra glide ultra's) PSI ? Ride Height ? Performance ?

Originally Posted by slime_dog
The pressure WILL leak out over time. So, the dealer may not have been negligent. The suspension pressure should be checked on a regular basis. It is also my opinion that the pump should be supplied as part of the purchase price since the pressue is a critical maintenance item - bordering on a safety item.
Im wondering if anyone knows for sure if the air leaks out of our shocks? I have an 07 ultra classic, just removed the tour pack, and slimmed it down some, with some 14" bars, and a custom Badlander (cut back 2.5" and down 1"), so now I am sitting RIGHT, but I am 6'4 225 and I had to have a custom seat made,etc- Anyways, I was riding my wife the other day w/o the tour pack on, and she of course wants it back on, but we will get by. My concern was when she was on it, it seems like we are on a hard tail, with no shocks at all. Now I am really noticing ever single bump in the road, that didnt bother me before, and isnt enjoyable to ride lately, I get almost mad,and want to park it. Could there be 0psi in them, if I havent added/removed air in 2 yrs ? Its really taking away from the ride and seems like the performance is being compromised also.. Could it effect both ??? I like the rear low,and not sure if the psi effect the ride height of 07's, but I dont really care anymore, cause I have to enjoy it, or whats the purpose !!! Any input on those 3 concerns ?? Sorry to ramble... Feel beat up after every ride now ! Thanks

Old 09-21-2011, 07:59 PM
endress1
Intermediate

Oh, my wife is a twig... She a buck-ten if that matters (330 ish total)

Old 09-21-2011, 08:01 PM
endress1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rdglider
I`ve had the same problem on my 09 Fltr. since day one.

I need to keep a vigilant eye on my shock pressure.

If I didn`t constantly monitor it would be dangerous, although, I am a fat ****...lol
Is the air pressure really a big part of the ride,comfort and performance ??? Im wondering if anyone knows for sure if the air leaks out of our shocks? I have an 07 ultra classic, just removed the tour pack, and slimmed it down some, with some 14" bars, and a custom Badlander (cut back 2.5" and down 1"), so now I am sitting RIGHT, but I am 6'4 225 and I had to have a custom seat made,etc- Anyways, I was riding my wife the other day w/o the tour pack on, and she of course wants it back on, but we will get by. My concern was when she was on it, it seems like we are on a hard tail, with no shocks at all. Now I am really noticing ever single bump in the road, that didnt bother me before, and isnt enjoyable to ride lately, I get almost mad,and want to park it. Could there be 0psi in them, if I havent added/removed air in 2 yrs ? Its really taking away from the ride and seems like the performance is being compromised also.. Could it effect both ??? I like the rear low,and not sure if the psi effect the ride height of 07's, but I dont really care anymore, cause I have to enjoy it, or whats the purpose !!! Any input on those 3 concerns ?? Sorry to ramble... Feel beat up after every ride now ! Thanks

Old 03-06-2012, 08:10 AM
DrZ
2nd Gear

I own a 99 RKC and broke down and purchased a pump on Ebay (about $25). The one I bought is controllable and has a bleed as well but has no HD logo on it. On the 99, you fill each shock individually. I have tested various pressures and have found 30PSI works well for me solo (235) or two up (370). When I first tested the pressure, it was at 0 psi and a hard bump would rattle my teeth and take my butt off the seat. At 30, my RKC takes the bump well and handles the curves nicely.

Keep in mind the shocks are not only for bumps...they affect you on the twisties as well since they are not normally smooth!

Don't know how long the link will be valid, but it should show you a picture of my pump.

Semper Fidelis,
Z

Quick Reply: Rear shock air pressure