Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear shock air pressure

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 12:48 PM
nemick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mayhemmaster
With reading this thread i gather to use a H.D pump to add air... along with the 10 percent rule for PSI
My question is i tried to let the air out and nothing !! Does this require a H.D pump as well to release air ? I thought it be like any other valve once depressed the air would come out
Not the case ...so how do you let air out
It's just a regular tire valve. If pressing the stub in the center of the valve doesn't release any air pressure, then there isn't any air pressure in there to release.

Old 07-02-2014, 12:57 PM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,906 Likes on 3,285 Posts

Originally Posted by mayhemmaster
With reading this thread i gather to use a H.D pump to add air... along with the 10 percent rule for PSI
My question is i tried to let the air out and nothing !! Does this require a H.D pump as well to release air ? I thought it be like any other valve once depressed the air would come out
Not the case ...so how do you let air out
Just don't make the mistake of trying to "fill" the air with an air compressor... it's made for a little hand air pump, I think you will damage your shock or hurt the air lines (one or the other)

OS

Old 08-02-2014, 10:45 PM
jd-11
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are not going to hurt the shock or the air lines by filling it with a compressor. The problem is with that people that don't turn their regulators down or overfill the system because it happens fast with a compressor or air tank.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:56 PM
hdknuckle
1st Gear

Originally Posted by KopperTop
Agreed - the pump should come standard, but otherwise, everyone should have one. There's so little volume of air in the system that you can't use any ol' bicycle pump to get it right. Most pumps will bleed your air out when you detach. I run about 20 psi (200 lbs) alone and 30 when 2-up (maybe 330 lbs).

There are bicycle pumps that have the clip on nozzle, just like the hd. The one I bought was a Wally's World and it also has a gauge on it. Believe it cost $11.

Old 02-20-2015, 07:38 AM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by hdknuckle
There are bicycle pumps that have the clip on nozzle, just like the hd. The one I bought was a Wally's World and it also has a gauge on it. Believe it cost $11.
If it doesn't blow air seals, great....

Old 02-20-2015, 07:42 AM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by hdknuckle
You dug up a old thread to tell us what we already know.Bicycle pumps don't work on a Harley air shock.Spend your money on the correct pump.

Old 04-16-2017, 06:49 PM
Old fart 58
Stage II

I have 04 ultra what psi should I run

Old 04-16-2017, 06:50 PM
Old fart 58
Stage II

In my air shocks

Old 07-31-2017, 10:54 AM
Darkride
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sgdiesel
yes it does, and actually quicker that people may imagine. Also important to stress that this should be done with the bike cold, pressure varies significantly with temp of course
lol just ask my buddy Tom Brady..

Old 08-08-2017, 12:24 AM
LoneRanger65
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes, I'm about 260 and started riding a passenger (120), I've been bottoming out a few times and the metal on metal goes right through me. Have the original hd air shocks set at 30. I'm presently shopping for a better shock. the progressive heavy duty was recommended but now I've been reading a lot about these olsteens. Decisions, decisions,,,,

Quick Reply: Rear shock air pressure