Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear shock air pressure

Old 08-14-2010, 05:36 PM
simpkinst
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerm21
OK, here’s my question… I weigh about 140 soaking wet, yep, I’m a bean pole. So, I’ve been running it at zero psi per the HD manual. Any other skinny guys (or gals) out there running any pressure out there? The ride has been so good that I haven’t bothered playing with it yet.

I have also not purchased the pump yet… it’s on the list, but to be honest not at the top. I have a compressor that allows me to set the max pressure, so I’m thinking I may use that, but haven’t so far.

- Jerm
DO NOT USE A COMPRESSOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You will damamge the system.

I have run anywere from 5 - 40 lbs. much smoother at lower pressures.

Also - not sure how you can blame the dealer on the pressure in the air shocks.

Old 08-14-2010, 05:43 PM
D2R
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm 235 and the bags are always full so 50 lbs.After a 17 day 6900 mile trip I'd lost 2 lbs.

Old 08-15-2010, 08:46 PM
rdglider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KopperTop
Agreed - the pump should come standard, but otherwise, everyone should have one. There's so little volume of air in the system that you can't use any ol' bicycle pump to get it right. Most pumps will bleed your air out when you detach. I run about 20 psi (200 lbs) alone and 30 when 2-up (maybe 330 lbs).

The Harley pump is a very fine tool. It fills the shocks quickly and accurately.

I went to 35 PSI today and my wife didn't notice any of the usual bumps!!

Was set at 20 during tune up.

Old 08-20-2010, 08:34 AM
bagger90
Tourer

Originally Posted by simpkinst
DO NOT USE A COMPRESSOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You will damamge the system.

I have run anywere from 5 - 40 lbs. much smoother at lower pressures.

Also - not sure how you can blame the dealer on the pressure in the air shocks.
You can use a compressor if you know how to operate one that has a regulator on it.
If you set your compressor for 40 PSI MAX and your shocks take 50 PSI MAX how can you ever blow them out?
Sounds like operator head space and timing to me.
I would NOT use a compressor that you could not regulate.
How much pressure should I run with a CT on the back?

The following users liked this post:
ohioflhs (08-06-2019)
Old 08-20-2010, 08:43 AM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hopefully this won't be considered as changing the subject matter but anyone running with progressive 416's , whats the preferred air pressure? I'm running 5 lbs solo.

Old 08-22-2010, 06:08 PM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Based on this thread I have done some testing with different air pressures, solo riding, with10 lbs of crap (tool kit, additional helmet, air pump, rain suit, plug kit, CD's etc.) with me.
I weigh 220 lbs (OMG I've put on 20 lbs of weight in 2 years....)

24psi - bottoms out frequently on small moderate bumps;
28 psi - still bottoms out frequently but on harder bumps/ruts;
32 psi - bottoms infrequently and only on really bad bumps/ruts-- handling stiffening up a bit (better handling);
36-38 - no noticeable bottoming out, but rebound is becoming more harsh, however handling is the best at this pressure.

So what does this tell us? The roads in Australia suck......

Old 08-22-2010, 06:17 PM
TxCowboy
Road Captain

Originally Posted by slime_dog
The pressure WILL leak out over time. So, the dealer may not have been negligent. The suspension pressure should be checked on a regular basis. It is also my opinion that the pump should be supplied as part of the purchase price since the pressue is a critical maintenance item - bordering on a safety item.

I totally agree. This should be a stock issue item just like the small multi-tool they're issuing now.

I've got a small 12-volt tire pump with a built-in guage. I weight about 190 and my wife is about 110. I try to keep it about 25 psi and have never bottomed out once with my Ultra Limited.

Old 08-23-2010, 12:03 PM
eddie eggs
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My '10 SG came from the dealer with 10# pressure and the wife and I bottomed out quite a bit. (combined wt 310). I bought the HD pump, (actually one of their more reasonable priced items) and went for a ride. We followed the same route and would pull over to make small adjustments until we were satisfied. Both of us with loaded bags need 35-40. Solo 25 is fine. I don't see how you can monkey with this without a precision pump though.

Old 08-23-2010, 12:19 PM
Ozoneman
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by XTrooper3936
Put me in the "didn't know" category. I was completely unaware of this major change in the shocks and their recommended psi settings.
Yes, I just found out when I got my 2011. I had a 2006 and the PSI settings have changed a lot on my newer bike. About twice as much pressure recommended on the newer bikes...

Old 08-23-2010, 01:04 PM
isac
Road Master

I run 50psi on my Ultra..perfect for 2up and loaded bags.. 1up a little stiff but great handling..just the way I want.

Last edited by isac; 08-23-2010 at 01:45 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear shock air pressure