Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear shock air pressure

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 06:57 AM
Our07Ultra
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerm21
OK, here’s my question… I weigh about 140 soaking wet, yep, I’m a bean pole. So, I’ve been running it at zero psi per the HD manual. Any other skinny guys (or gals) out there running any pressure out there? The ride has been so good that I haven’t bothered playing with it yet.

I have also not purchased the pump yet… it’s on the list, but to be honest not at the top. I have a compressor that allows me to set the max pressure, so I’m thinking I may use that, but haven’t so far.

- Jerm
DO NOT USE AN AIR COMPRESSOR!
The pressure is too high and will blow your shock seals out! Ask my neighbor how he knows this! The pump is designed to bring psi up with minimal compression (Pump Handle). The bleed button allows for "fine adjustments. Over pump by a couple lbs and then bleed down.
Buy the pump!!

Old 04-23-2009, 07:32 AM
SG 1
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My bike was delivered with 0 psi in the shocks. I think a lot of dealers don't check. I have the pump and 25 seems to work for me single or double.

Old 04-23-2009, 07:59 AM
Boxer 6
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Our07Ultra
DO NOT USE AN AIR COMPRESSOR!
The pressure is too high and will blow your shock seals out! Ask my neighbor how he knows this! The pump is designed to bring psi up with minimal compression (Pump Handle). The bleed button allows for "fine adjustments. Over pump by a couple lbs and then bleed down.
Buy the pump!!
Yep. And get the Progressive hand pump! It has 1 lb increments. The HD pump doesn't have that accuracy.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:58 AM
jberg
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

The shock system does have oil in it. Manual suggests you connect it with the pump handle pulled out so as not to possibly draw oil out of the system on first stroke.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:13 AM
confused
Road Captain

I go to my local bicycle shop and use their mountain bike shock pump.
It screws on and is like a giant syringe.
I pump it to my desired amount and when you unscrew it no air leaks out.
Running 25lbs solo and bike is lowered 2", only if I hit a BIG dip in the road do I bottom

http://*******.com/d3dkhy

Old 08-05-2010, 03:40 PM
Krow
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by missile
Just to let everyone know that there is a pump on ebay for like 29.99 delivered I bought one and it works just like the more expensive ones. I can't seem to get the link to post.

This pump also will air up my truck air bags (Firestone's) and bicycle tires.
I have noticed that at 165 and wife around 120 I run 25psi and seems to work well solo or 2 up......
Yeah, but does it have that cute little HD logo on it????

Old 08-05-2010, 04:22 PM
Rob0331
Intermediate

I have a '10 UC. When I ride solo I have 30psi, 42psi when the wife and I are cruising around on the weekend. When we have the bags loaded I have 50psi. Between the two of us we are closing in on 400lbs.

Old 08-05-2010, 05:06 PM
mrbluffo
Advanced
Smile

I have 0.0 PSI in my 2010 SG Rear Shocks, I found that the constant bottoming out just could not be stopped when riding 2 UP so as many on the forum looked to an upgrade of the stock shocks.

I went with a pair of Ohlins custom rigged and shortened for the SG at 12" long, they took 40minutes to fit, ride like a dream, don't bottom out, glue the tyre to the pavement and lose no air when they hit a pot-hole.

Check previous posts for the Ohlins, Progresives, Penske and you will see most posters have nothing but positive words for the ride improvements over stock, or maybe it's the lack of cash in the rear pockets just makes the seat comfier :-)

Old 08-05-2010, 05:21 PM
WolfDog
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This may have been said allready but dont just think about how much you and the wife weigh, we just went to the HOG rally in Hot Spring and I bet I loaded at least 60lbs in the bags.

My Limited is set at 45 PSI for the 2 of us and gear and rides fine, BUT after 3 days of riding it lost 15 PSI, it began being sloppy on the road so at one stop I checked it and found it lower. So when you are out and about it needs to be checked every other day. But hey you can always buy new shocks if you F them up by riding with low air pressure. Doesnt anyone read their manual's?

Just Sayin... Ride On ...........

Old 08-05-2010, 06:29 PM
Heatwave
Received 1,077 Likes on 638 Posts

I keep my 2010 SEUC at 45lbs all the time. it's a nice and firm when I'm solo and perfect when I'm 2-up.

Quick Reply: Rear shock air pressure