Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front fender chrome rail insert - Ultra Classic

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 10:59 AM
Jonny Cannon
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Front fender chrome rail insert - Ultra Classic

Well. Just finished instlling the chrome front fender insert on the big girl. Thought I might offer my advice on the experience. I have big cement block hands and sausage fingers, and I still managed to pull it off. Overall, I would recommend this modification if you were already changing your front wheel. It would have gone WAY faster & much easier with the front wheel removed. For one thing, you could have used a ratchet. Whatever the case, I used my wrenches. You may also want a flashlight, flathead screwdriver, some sort of jack arrangement & a 2 x 4, and a set of c-clamp-type devices (I like the nice Canadian Tire plastic ones that ratchet closed once they grip - hands free, as it were).

1) Take the instructions that come with the kit and throw them in the garbage. they make no sense, offer very little in the way of instruction anyways, and explain nothing. don't worry yourself trying to decipher them; simply throw them out.

2) First, you need to remove the black rubber insert & reflectors from between the fender rails. There are two small screws close to the forks on the inside - one on each side. they hold the back end of the rubber insert in place. Take those screws out and throw them away. At the front of your fender, as you reach up inside, there is a rectangular bracket with three bolts holding it in place - all above one another in a straight line. This bracket holds the rubber insert and then the fender rails up in place against the fender. Once you take these three nuts off, and pull the plate out, the fender rails will drop slightly. Note the holes in this plate are slotted. I was able to now push the black insert and reflectors through the fender rails (towards the tire) and remove the rubber insert.

3) There is a new rubber insert that comes with the rails. It can only go in one way. It has a hole in the front that goes over the middle bolt at the front of the fender. You can put it in from the inside, and it has a groove in it that fits around the top fender rail, from the inside.

4) There are 4 little slider bolts - two for each side. Take the fender rail insert and slide them in to the grooved slot that has been machined into the insert. Don't worry about their position - you can adjust them after. The chrome fender rail insert has to slide in between your fender rails. If you do it incorrectly, the back edges will pop out of place as you approach your forks. You may need a bit of elbow grease here, but don't be afraid to give it a good push.

5) There are two black brackets now that go on the inside of the fender, along the fender rails. They are labelled "L" and "R". When you hold them up, you will see that there is only one way they can go in. There are two holes that go over a pair of small nubs on the new rubber insert, and two holes for the slider bolts. I found it was easiest for me to make sure the rubber nubs went in firts, and then used my flathead screwdriver to slide the bolts along the track until they lined up with the holes. I then used my c-clamps to hold the brackets in place to do up the nuts that hold everything together. Repeat for the other side. Don't tighten everything down yet; just put the 4 nuts on so everything is in place.

6) You will now see that with everything in place, the front fender rails droop a bit. I couldn't push them into place and do up the three nuts on the inside of the fender all at the same time, so I put my bike lift in front of the bike, and stood the 2x4 on end. I jacked the lift up a bit so the 2x4 pushed the rails back up into place. Now you can put the plate with the three holes in it back in. Tighten the very top nut first; it will hold everything in its' place. Then do up the other two.

7) Tighten the 4 nuts up over the slider bolts. You get new side reflectors with the kit that are adhesive, but I chose not to put them on. You will see how much easier it would be to do perform this operation with the front wheel out. All in all, it took me maybe an hour and a half.

Hope this helps.

Cannon