Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Touring Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by: Fuel Moto USA

P

Old 05-01-2009, 06:04 AM
Hang Around
Default 87 FLHTC Stereo

I am a new Harley Davidson owner and need some help with replacement or upgrading the AM/FM/CB/ Tape Deck for a 1987 FLHTC.

I inherited the motorcycle from my dad and spent a lot of time with him and the bike growing up. I donít want to it trade for a new motorcycle, itís a family thing, you know?

I have looked through this forum for a few hours now and have spent a lot of time online looking for an option, but havenít found anything helpful. Contacted a motorcycle stereo vendor and was told they start with 1988 only.

Here are my ideas?

Change out the inner Fairing or complete Fairing to a newer model --- Can this even be done?

Cut the inner Fairing to fit a newer stereo --- will probably lose handle bar controls

Install a J&M 2003 and connect Sirius Radio kit, but how do I run it to external speakers? can I even do that?

Find the original manufacture and contact them --- who would have built the stereo for the 87?

Were the fairings for previous years the same? I know they obviously changed on the 88 model, but if anyone has changed an older than 87 model maybe I could do what they did.

Any suggestions or help would be great.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:38 PM
Road Warrior

I won't be too helpfull, but I own a 1986 FLHTC with the slider volume controls. First off my original radio works just fine for 23 years of age... go figure... did something right in the mid-eighties. Damn, the whole bike is still running just fine.

I would love to upgrade to USB/mp3 also. But as you found out and as I've looked at the service manual wiring diagrams, you'll lose volume controls because in 1988+ radio went to a 3 wire stepped (up/down) volume control instead of a 2 wire slider pot. A PAC tech told me to upgrade my left controls to 1988+ and then their set-up should work.

But like I said... radio works just fine. I really don't want too mess with it yet until it fails. Once that happens... new radio should fit with a filler plate. then I'll hack into the all or most the wiring, ect and maybe upgrade the volume slide too 1988+ style. That should be a fun project!!!!

Good luck, Post some info if you do an up-grade I would like to know if you had issues or not.

Opp
Old 05-15-2009, 01:15 AM
Prospect

I have a thread that you will see that I banged around all winter till I finally muddled thru. IT WORKS!!!! Here is a post of me working on putting newer radio in mine: http://hdforums.com/forum/evo-classi...eed-ideas.html I did have to upgrade to a '88 and up volume switch (I found a complete chrome set off a '95 and did both sides, wound up being a lot of head scratching!!) You will have to run one more wire in the poly coating, I was able to feed it down the '95 tubes OK. If you want more of a plug in application you will have to hunt up a 8 pin plug for the Biketronics to plug into. My Photobucket ID is http://s729.photobucket.com/albums/ww295/IDIDNTDOIT87/

I have some pictures of the install there. I like the autoadjusting volume feature of the biketronics unit. Get one for an '88. Replace the left lower switch housing and volume switch, cut your inner fairing for a Sony, modify YOUR existing plate like I show in the pics to hold the plastic trim under the radio and it should go pretty smooth. The extra wire for volume I just brought straight to the radio plug and bypassed the handlebar plug with it.

'87 flhtc w/30,000 miles, went thru fire 9/3/09...Rebuild begun 2/22/10; first ride 10/22/10. Whew!!!! Every nut and bolt turned. Thanks again sprint12 for the BIG box of parts!!!!!!
"It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission!!" Oh, and buy the best sleeping couch you can find!! Before pic in Avatar
Old 05-15-2009, 04:09 AM
Road Master

can you post a pict of the radio on it, factory that is, cause hawg-wired makes an adapter that allows you to put the newer hk radio on the older bikes, and I happen to have a new hk factory radio, 08'... just took it off the roadglide in my sig...

anyhow, there are many options for upgrading audio...
Old 05-15-2009, 11:17 PM
Prospect

I believe that the newer radios are wider than will fit in the '86 and '87 fairings. There is a guage on either side of the radio in these years that makes it a tight fit for even a 'din' sized radio. I was able to fit a new one into the stock cover with a tiny bit of trimming. Biketronics kit to put this size radio in the newer bikes include spacers to fill them out.

Click the image to open in full size.

'87 flhtc w/30,000 miles, went thru fire 9/3/09...Rebuild begun 2/22/10; first ride 10/22/10. Whew!!!! Every nut and bolt turned. Thanks again sprint12 for the BIG box of parts!!!!!!
"It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission!!" Oh, and buy the best sleeping couch you can find!! Before pic in Avatar

Last edited by IDIDNTDOIT; 05-15-2009 at 11:23 PM..
Old 05-15-2009, 11:17 PM

P

Tags
1986, 1987, 1988, 88, control, flht, flhtc, harley, options, parts, radio, removing, replacement, stereo, volume