Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many miles to log before a long small group ride?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 01:51 PM
ragreensr
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many miles to log before a long small group ride?

I am a 46 year old 1st time Harley Owner and rider. I purchased a used 2002 FLHRCI in October 2008 and completed the ABATE Basic Rider Class that month also. I was able to get a couple of hundred miles under my belt (practicing in parking lot and country roads) prior to putting the bike away for the winter.

This spring I have been back to the parking lot and slowly expanding my comfort zone with some additional riding in traffic and traveling longer distances in smaller increments. I now have logged about 2,000 miles total riding experience.

I have the opportunity to ride with an uncle (over 30 years experience) and some of his buddies on a week long ride around Lake Michigan in August of this year. I'm not sure if I should or not and I am looking for some advice and suggestions. We will be camping along the way.

How many miles should a new rider have under his belt before he does something like this? How do other experienced riders feel about having someone in a group setting like this? I'd love to do it and I think I am comfortable with the idea, I just don't want to hold the other riders back?

Any suggestions or advice? Is there anything specific I could do to get myself ready for a ride like this for this August or am I better of having a complete riding season under my belt first?

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions and advice!

Old 05-05-2009, 01:54 PM
gibbyflhx
Cruiser

I dont think there is any set number of miles before you make a run like you mentioned. It is all about how comfortable "you" are on the bike. Maybe start with a few small group rides and see where your comfort level is

Old 05-05-2009, 02:06 PM
Sammi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by gibbyflhx
I dont think there is any set number of miles before you make a run like you mentioned. It is all about how comfortable "you" are on the bike. Maybe start with a few small group rides and see where your comfort level is
+1.

And when you go on the ride make sure the other riders know you don't have years of experience.

Have fun!!!

Sammi

Old 05-05-2009, 02:11 PM
cap5369
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that it would be great for you to go. I feel that they will ride to your skill level and not leave you behind. I think the best time to learn is with others, what to do what not to do.

You can only learn so much in a parking lot. Ride safe.

Old 05-05-2009, 02:15 PM
BC Glide
Cruiser

+1 The best learning is from other good riders. We have lots of conversations over lunch and landing parties to help bring new riders along.

Old 05-05-2009, 02:17 PM
iambill
Tourer

I agree with what these guys have said. Try a small group ride maybe 2-3 other riders. Make sure everyone know each others riding abilities. Go over the ride first and stick to the plan, which should include a few stops along the way.
Also headsets would be a plus if they are available, but a few hand signals will work just fine too.
There is no set distance or time to say " ok now i am ready " you will know when it happens.
IMHO one 6 hour ride will give you better experience than 6 one hour rides, so take your time have fun, and you will be there soon enough.

p.s. don't let anyone tell you what your comfort level is

enjoy the ride

Old 05-05-2009, 02:20 PM
honestbob
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just do it.

Old 05-05-2009, 02:45 PM
KoalaCowboy
Road Warrior

ragreensr,
Like other answers, the advice I give to 'new' riders is this:

Go find back roads where you can ride at a comfortable speed for as long as it take for you to become thoroughly comfortable with your motorcycle; how it behaves in various situations, etc. is learned mostly through getting seat time. I advise against spending time in parking lots until they've done sufficient road time. The reason is simple: If you spend time in the parking lot and get frustrated, you will end up not riding your bike and you won't enjoy riding.

By spending time on the road, you get comfortable with the bike's operation, feel, etc, which lends itself to feeling more confident when you do go to the parking lot to practice slow speed maneuvers.

Is this the be-all solution or answer? No, but it is what has worked for 9 different female friends and at least 12 male friends who have purchased their first bike over the last couple of years.

When you do ride with a group, just make sure they are aware of your skill level and make sure that you ride at your skill level and not theirs!

Good luck!

Old 05-05-2009, 02:49 PM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts
Thumbs up Good answer

Originally Posted by honestbob
Just do it.
Hard to top that answer.. but would add for your first time get a couple good expierenced riders one to lead and one to watch your six with you in the middle after a couple hundred miles then go for it ...

Old 05-05-2009, 02:53 PM
TRUBRIT
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just because they have ridden longer than you does not make them experts. We just came back from the Smokies. We were a group of nine. We had one Russian, one Croatian, two from Quebec, and the rest of us from South Florida. The Visitors were on rented HD's. Experience for the whole group varied from none on Harleys to many years. We all followed the basic rules, i.e. riding staggered, staying in position, hand signals, etc. We had more problems with one of our 'most experienced' riders than our least experienced. Just ride to your limits and don't feel you have to keep up or match the others. If they are good riders, they will ride to where you are comfortable. Ask questions. How fast do you like to cruise on the highway? How often do you plan to stop for a break? If they want to cruise at 90 mph and you are not comfortable with that, say so. You are there to enjoy the ride. Have fun.

Quick Reply: How many miles to log before a long small group ride?