Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Touring Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by: Fuel Moto USA

Welcome to HDForums.com!

P

Old 05-07-2009, 01:30 PM
Outstanding HDF Member
Send a message via Yahoo to ckgdrums
Angry Replacing Front Brake Light Switch

I'll tell ya', Boys and Girls, I didn't know how the right side handlebar controls came apart and went back together.....but, I do NOW!!!
You gotta put the switch in with the wires pointing down. Don't try to rotate the switch after it's in place.

3 times apart, and together for a brake light switch that I, admittedly, broke while changing the levers. Also, $60 for that switch!!! WTF!

Oh well, the manual was minimal help at best. Trial and Error proved to be the solution, finally.

Live and Learn,

My Road King

Last edited by ckgdrums; 05-07-2009 at 01:56 PM..
Old 05-07-2009, 03:01 PM
Club Member

If Topeka Harley-Davidson or Riverfront Harley-Davidson are close to you then you could've bought 71590-96A for $24 instead of the superseded 71621-08 for $60! Anywho, glad ya got it fixed. It is a bugger rotating the switch in there.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:09 PM
Road Master

Also, whenever you split the switch housings, or remove the front brake master cylinder, always install a washer or something between the brake lever and cylinder housing, to hold the lever off the switch or you'll break the switch everytime. It's real easy to do.......Putt
RB Racing LSR 2-1 Exhuast
ThunderMax EFI
Old 05-07-2009, 03:10 PM
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puttnutt24 View Post
Also, whenever you split the switch housings, or remove the front brake master cylinder, always install a washer or something between the brake lever and cylinder housing, to hold the lever off the switch or you'll break the switch everytime. It's real easy to do.......Putt
You can use the fat end of a zip tie also, works well.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:55 PM
Road Warrior

That is a $60.00 reason for reading and following instructions. Dang I hate to do that. But I also hate paying $60.00 for switch and the PAI to install it. They should add switch to all new brake levers.
2003 Gunmetal Ultra Classic
1985 Wide Glide -
1983 Sportster -
Old 05-08-2009, 08:06 AM
Outstanding HDF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawg View Post
If Topeka Harley-Davidson or Riverfront Harley-Davidson are close to you then you could've bought 71590-96A for $24 instead of the superseded 71621-08 for $60! Anywho, glad ya got it fixed. It is a bugger rotating the switch in there.
Topeka H-D is where I bought my bike, but I was unaware of the substitue switch part numbers.... that would have been nice to know...LOL. Oh well. It's fixed...finally.
Oh, and Alefs' H-D, right here in river city only had the $60 switch in stock...go figure.

Oh, thanks for the heads up Dawg. I'll remember that part number just in case it happens again...[fingers crossed].

My Road King

Last edited by ckgdrums; 05-08-2009 at 08:08 AM.. Reason: add info
Old 05-08-2009, 10:19 AM
Senior Rider

They are a PITA to install, I had to fix mine on a trip in a parking lot in July in Charlotte. Hotter than hell in my leathers trying to fix it with minimal tools.

2007 Road Glide Mirage Orange Pearl / 103 SE Stage IV w/ SERT - 107 H.P. / Rinehart True Duals / Willie G. Skull Collection / J&M Speakers w/ 250 Watt Amp / 9 Orange LED Light Pods / Lowers & Chopped Tour Pak / 12" Klock Werks Tinted Screen
Old 05-08-2009, 12:11 PM
Outstanding HDF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocages4me View Post
They are a PITA to install, I had to fix mine on a trip in a parking lot in July in Charlotte. Hotter than hell in my leathers trying to fix it with minimal tools.
You're right, that would have been a major PITA!!! I always carry my tools with me, but in a parking lot...no thanks.

My Road King
Old 05-08-2009, 03:04 PM
Road Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckgdrums View Post
I'll tell ya', Boys and Girls, I didn't know how the right side handlebar controls came apart and went back together.....but, I do NOW!!!
You gotta put the switch in with the wires pointing down. Don't try to rotate the switch after it's in place.

3 times apart, and together for a brake light switch that I, admittedly, broke while changing the levers. Also, $60 for that switch!!! WTF!

Oh well, the manual was minimal help at best. Trial and Error proved to be the solution, finally.

Live and Learn,
Seeing how the manual is of little to no use, could you do us a huge favor? Do the install again, except this time take photos and add descriptions?

Just kidding of course! No matter how satisfying it is to work on our bikes, there are some jobs that frustrate the be-jeebers out of us. The last one for me was installing the headlight visor trim ring.
Air Cleaner
Jackpot Dyno-Tuned Slash Up Slip-Ons
PC V, Auto-Tune
Old 05-11-2009, 09:51 AM
Outstanding HDF Member

You know, I seriously thought about taking pictures and doing a "play by play" of the switch install. I'm glad I chose not too...may have been some pictures of me standing there cussing at my switch housing taken by my thoughtful wife...

My Road King
Old 05-11-2009, 09:51 AM

P

Tags
08, 71621, brake, davidson, dyna, front, glide, handlebar, harley, installing, light, replace, replacing, street, switch