Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Touring Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search


Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by: Fuel Moto USA

Welcome to HDForums.com!

Reply
 
 
 
P
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 05-07-2009, 01:30 PM
ckgdrums's Avatar
ckgdrums ckgdrums is offline
Outstanding HDF Member
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 2,150
Send a message via Yahoo to ckgdrums
Angry Replacing Front Brake Light Switch

I'll tell ya', Boys and Girls, I didn't know how the right side handlebar controls came apart and went back together.....but, I do NOW!!!
You gotta put the switch in with the wires pointing down. Don't try to rotate the switch after it's in place.

3 times apart, and together for a brake light switch that I, admittedly, broke while changing the levers. Also, $60 for that switch!!! WTF!

Oh well, the manual was minimal help at best. Trial and Error proved to be the solution, finally.

Live and Learn,
__________________
Ride Safe,
Chuck

My Road King

Last edited by ckgdrums; 05-07-2009 at 01:56 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-07-2009, 03:01 PM
dawg's Avatar
dawg dawg is offline
Club Member
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Vermont
Posts: 20,117
Default

If Topeka Harley-Davidson or Riverfront Harley-Davidson are close to you then you could've bought 71590-96A for $24 instead of the superseded 71621-08 for $60! Anywho, glad ya got it fixed. It is a bugger rotating the switch in there.
__________________
'08 105th anniversary Ultra
http://www.vtroaddawgsmc.org/
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-07-2009, 03:09 PM
Puttnutt24's Avatar
Puttnutt24 Puttnutt24 is offline
Road Master
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Northern California
Posts: 1,243
Default

Also, whenever you split the switch housings, or remove the front brake master cylinder, always install a washer or something between the brake lever and cylinder housing, to hold the lever off the switch or you'll break the switch everytime. It's real easy to do.......Putt
__________________
2007 Road King Custom
FM 107" Big Bore Kit
Woods 6-6 cams w/4 gear
RB Racing LSR 2-1 Exhuast
ThunderMax EFI
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-07-2009, 03:10 PM
dawg's Avatar
dawg dawg is offline
Club Member
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Vermont
Posts: 20,117
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puttnutt24 View Post
Also, whenever you split the switch housings, or remove the front brake master cylinder, always install a washer or something between the brake lever and cylinder housing, to hold the lever off the switch or you'll break the switch everytime. It's real easy to do.......Putt
You can use the fat end of a zip tie also, works well.
__________________
'08 105th anniversary Ultra
http://www.vtroaddawgsmc.org/
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-07-2009, 03:55 PM
robbie52's Avatar
robbie52 robbie52 is offline
Road Warrior
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Augusta, GA
Posts: 1,397
Default

That is a $60.00 reason for reading and following instructions. Dang I hate to do that. But I also hate paying $60.00 for switch and the PAI to install it. They should add switch to all new brake levers.
__________________
[SIGPIC] address [/SIGPIBlack
2014 Charcoal
2009 Vivid Black Ultra Classic-HD Cooler,Rineharts,SE Cleaner, PCV by FuelMoto
2003 Gunmetal Ultra Classic
1985 Wide Glide -
1983 Sportster -
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-08-2009, 08:06 AM
ckgdrums's Avatar
ckgdrums ckgdrums is offline
Outstanding HDF Member
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 2,150
Send a message via Yahoo to ckgdrums
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawg View Post
If Topeka Harley-Davidson or Riverfront Harley-Davidson are close to you then you could've bought 71590-96A for $24 instead of the superseded 71621-08 for $60! Anywho, glad ya got it fixed. It is a bugger rotating the switch in there.
Topeka H-D is where I bought my bike, but I was unaware of the substitue switch part numbers.... that would have been nice to know...LOL. Oh well. It's fixed...finally.
Oh, and Alefs' H-D, right here in river city only had the $60 switch in stock...go figure.

Oh, thanks for the heads up Dawg. I'll remember that part number just in case it happens again...[fingers crossed].
__________________
Ride Safe,
Chuck

My Road King

Last edited by ckgdrums; 05-08-2009 at 08:08 AM.. Reason: add info
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-08-2009, 10:19 AM
nocages4me's Avatar
nocages4me nocages4me is offline
Senior Rider
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Fredericksburg, Virginia
Posts: 393
Default

They are a PITA to install, I had to fix mine on a trip in a parking lot in July in Charlotte. Hotter than hell in my leathers trying to fix it with minimal tools.
__________________

2007 Road Glide Mirage Orange Pearl / 103 SE Stage IV w/ SERT - 107 H.P. / Rinehart True Duals / Willie G. Skull Collection / J&M Speakers w/ 250 Watt Amp / 9 Orange LED Light Pods / Lowers & Chopped Tour Pak / 12" Klock Werks Tinted Screen
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-08-2009, 12:11 PM
ckgdrums's Avatar
ckgdrums ckgdrums is offline
Outstanding HDF Member
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 2,150
Send a message via Yahoo to ckgdrums
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocages4me View Post
They are a PITA to install, I had to fix mine on a trip in a parking lot in July in Charlotte. Hotter than hell in my leathers trying to fix it with minimal tools.
You're right, that would have been a major PITA!!! I always carry my tools with me, but in a parking lot...no thanks.
__________________
Ride Safe,
Chuck

My Road King
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-08-2009, 03:04 PM
albertasaurus's Avatar
albertasaurus albertasaurus is offline
Road Captain
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 660
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckgdrums View Post
I'll tell ya', Boys and Girls, I didn't know how the right side handlebar controls came apart and went back together.....but, I do NOW!!!
You gotta put the switch in with the wires pointing down. Don't try to rotate the switch after it's in place.

3 times apart, and together for a brake light switch that I, admittedly, broke while changing the levers. Also, $60 for that switch!!! WTF!

Oh well, the manual was minimal help at best. Trial and Error proved to be the solution, finally.

Live and Learn,
Seeing how the manual is of little to no use, could you do us a huge favor? Do the install again, except this time take photos and add descriptions?

Just kidding of course! No matter how satisfying it is to work on our bikes, there are some jobs that frustrate the be-jeebers out of us. The last one for me was installing the headlight visor trim ring.
__________________
2007 Ultra Classic
Not Shown in Sig Pic:
FuelMoto Power Package:
Air Cleaner
Jackpot Dyno-Tuned Slash Up Slip-Ons
PC V, Auto-Tune
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-11-2009, 09:51 AM
ckgdrums's Avatar
ckgdrums ckgdrums is offline
Outstanding HDF Member
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 2,150
Send a message via Yahoo to ckgdrums
Default

You know, I seriously thought about taking pictures and doing a "play by play" of the switch install. I'm glad I chose not too...may have been some pictures of me standing there cussing at my switch housing taken by my thoughtful wife...
__________________
Ride Safe,
Chuck

My Road King
Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 09:51 AM
 
 
 
P
Reply

Tags
08, 71621, brake, davidson, dyna, front, glide, handlebar, harley, installing, light, replace, replacing, street, switch


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory
Sponsors

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:18 PM.


Internet Brands, Inc.



Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1