Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD tall passenger backrest?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 12:22 PM
ApeKing
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default HD tall passenger backrest?

Anyone running the TALL HD passenger backrest? If so would you mind telling me how MUCH taller that the standard backrest it is? I have the std and now that I have the Mustang passenger pillion (MUCH thicker than stock) the Missus wants a taller backrest.

Old 05-09-2006, 12:32 PM
lil_gmac2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: HD tall passenger backrest?

I went to look at the taller one yesterday and I can't really tell the difference. However this is my first HD. If you want to sell your PM me.

Old 05-09-2006, 12:53 PM
HD Renegade
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My SG listed below has the Tall one on it. Not sure what the differance would be.

EDIT: Opps sorry that photo does not have it on the bike. Send me an e-mail and I can send you some photos if you want them.

Bob

Old 05-09-2006, 01:25 PM
Manish_Hawg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I believe the tall passenger backrest is 2" taller than the short one. I have never ridden "beach" so I can't tell if that makes a difference. However I have the HD Pillow Look Seat which is a thick seat so the tall backrest stops at the same point on my wife's back as the short backrest with a stock seat. I guess HD needs a Extra Tall to go with the thick seats.

See if you can borrow someone's or let your wife ride with someone else before forking over $150 plus

Old 05-09-2006, 02:23 PM
territory145
Cruiser

I have the comfort stitch seat on my 05 rkclassic and the regular bar and pad touched the top of the new seat. I installed the tall sissy bar upright and it is about 3 inches off the seat, a much more comforable ride for my wife. E-bay was a great place to sell my old sissybar, I think I got $125 for it.

Old 05-09-2006, 06:41 PM
dforeid
Road Captain
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

I have the same as Territory mentioned. Had the medium (formerly the tallest one you could get) sissy bar on my RK Classic and then got the Comfort Stitch seat too. The medium sissy bar put the backrest pad right on top of the seat for the most part - way too low for the Mrs. so... this new taller one came into being and I picked one up. The documentation said it's 2 1/2 inches taller, which didn't sound a whole much better to me until I put it on. It made a HUGE difference and the wife really loves it. Buy one, you won't regret it !!!!

Old 05-10-2006, 12:45 PM
rkc06
Advanced

When I bought my Road King Classic they put on the lower back rest, because the tall one was back ordered. My wife hated it, it hit her to low on her back. She likes the tall one.

Old 05-11-2006, 12:14 AM
RDKingRider
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have the taller backrest and sundowner on the king and wife loves it.

Old 05-11-2006, 12:55 AM
2smoooth
Road Captain

I have the tall one and the wife loves it....

I discussed this briefly with the dealer when I purchased it. The main reason I bought it was because of needing to put a T-Bag on the back for long trips. It gives you that extra stability for the bag (perhaps 2" as noted in another post). Their feeling was that the "short" version would be iffy for the bag.

John

Old 05-11-2006, 01:07 AM
jjsanta
Tourer

It's not that much taller that it looks out of place, but my wife says it is more comfortable than the standard one I had on my Softail. I would go with the tall one.

Quick Reply: HD tall passenger backrest?