Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tc88 to 95, which andrews,26 or 37?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 03:07 AM
FinnGlide
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tc88 to 95, which andrews,26 or 37?

Iīm going to have a 95 kit installed soon but am really lost with a cam choice, hope I would get some tips from here.(did a search and found some advice but still...)

06 Street Glide w/32k miles, SE air cleaner, SE mufflers, PCIII. Otherwise the bike is stock.

Kit to install: SE 95 kit(cast pistons), S&S gear drive set, stock heads will be ported. I now have S&S 510 cams available, but my mechanic said that he wouldnīt recommend those to my bike since they wake up at higher rpms and what I want is of course low to mid range power for a touring bike. So I kind of narrowed it down to Andrews 26 or 37(which the mech also said would be ok), but which one to choose has really made a mess of me, I can`t sleep, eat, drink, no, I actually drink a lot because of this and my boss is about to fire me and....

So which one should be a good choice, 26 or 37, I will be getting one of these Andrews cams since they are "kinda easy" to get here in Finland(I trust this mech and I will not take that S&S 510 as an option anymore), I want it to be a good touring engine,I weight around 150pounds and ride without passenger and usually when going for a roadtrip I have saddlebags full of gear(sometimes also luggage rack). I also use this bike for everyday riding to work. I have noticed that I usually never rev it over 4000rpm with my stock engine and althought if I get more power with 95 kit I donīt think I will be revving it to the redline either...

Old 05-08-2009, 05:35 AM
donutsrd
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i did a similar build.95"cp pistons(9.5-1)bored cyl,port&flowed heads,andrews 37 gear drive,pc3usb dyno tune=102tq/93hp.the 37 is a great cam comes on a little later than the 26.did the cams first when still 88".if i had totdo it again i would stay with the 37,but i never tried the 26.hope this helps

Old 05-08-2009, 05:47 AM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 131 Posts

There is alot of discussion on this very subject on another forum, not trying to get you to move to another but just giving you some more insight, look at HarleyTechTalk.net and go to twin cams section and also look at the dyno section, I have installed a 26 in a freinds 03 Heritage and it runs great, got bottom and top also, installed a 37 in another freinds 07 Streetglide and it made 85hp and 94tq with Rineharts, it comes on a little latter than the 26 and 6th gear kills it but you still have the 5 speed, 26 around 2000 and 37 around 2400, hope this helps.
One more thing, you might want tp raise your comp to 9.7 or so with the 37 cams, seems to help it come on a little sooner.

Old 05-08-2009, 05:52 AM
glide2005
Supporter
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the 98" done on mine and went with the S&S 510 and think it was a great choice. The 510 really wakes up around 2800 rpm's witch is where I stay anyway. At 70 mph on the freeway, you just twist the wick and your around the next car with ease. Before when you wanted to pass, you got on it and all you got was noise, now you better hold on. You'll probaly loose some more sleep now.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:45 AM
Ribitt
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

have an 07 ultra here is my dyno run. love the 26. 83 HP, 94TQ

07 Ultra, SERT, SE A/C, Rinehart TD's, S&S Gear Drive, Andrew 26 Cam, SE Adjustable push rods.

Attached Thumbnails Tc88 to 95, which andrews,26 or 37?-20090417064719260.jpg  
Old 05-08-2009, 07:12 AM
sooie
Tourer

what about the HQ 0034 cam ?
thats what i am looking into !

Old 05-08-2009, 10:03 AM
johnltex
Tourer

I put a Woods TW-6 in my 05 ultra, after having Andrews 26's. The Woods made it a different bike, great low end to mid range power and ramped up quick. I loved them. HQ cams will be the next ones in my new Road Glide.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:23 AM
jamesw
Road Warrior
Received 675 Likes on 256 Posts

I spoke to Andrews, and decided on the 54G cams. They are supposed to "turn on" at a lower RPM range, and for my bagger that's what I was looking for. I also went with the cast SE 10.25.1 pistons to push up the compression a little. I have not had the bike dyno tuned yet, as the map from FuelMoto has been working pretty well. I did get a "baseline" run just to see where it's at (86HP & 100 TQ) to make sure nothing is really out of whack, and the charts are here:

http://www.southpawsanctum.com/mcdyno.html

I thought maybe I would pick up a bit more HP, but this setup seems to work pretty well. I might even pick a bit up with a tuning, but who knows.

The thing was that before I did the build, I asked a lot of folks for input. The answers all revolve around what your "mission profile" for the bike is. Mine was to build a reliable tourer with more bottom end to get off the line a bit better. I didn't need forged pistons, or bigger valves, or a lot of the other things that you would use to get the bigger HP numbers. I also didn't want to throw out MPG needlessly since I do intend on touring.

I was really pretty pleased with the support Andrews gave me, and their Engineering staff was pretty helpfull in walking thru the pros and cons of each cam.

Last edited by jamesw; 05-08-2009 at 10:25 AM.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:30 AM
MX10RS
Novice

I went with the 510G and haven't looked back. Seems pretty good in all ranges but does its best when you need to twist it and get around somebody in a hurry, or riding 2 up or pulling a trailer. Whe she kicks in she just wants to keep going, and that my friend is a great feeling.
I have an 05 EG Classic with the 95" with tru duals and am glad I went this way.

Old 05-08-2009, 01:31 PM
salty01
Tourer

Very interesting you say "
Kit to install: SE 95 kit(cast pistons), S&S gear drive set, stock heads will be ported. I now have S&S 510 cams available, but my mechanic said that he wouldnīt recommend those to my bike since they wake up at higher rpms and what I want is of course low to mid range power for a touring bike."

Ok I just did a build on my 06 Street Glide using S&S pistons and S&S 510 gear cams, fueler lifters..NO HEAD work! I have OEM headers, rinehart slip ons with a high flo filter and a PCIII usb

Road the bike for awhile to do the break in and it was running real fat at low rpm ie 2-3rd gear 2000-2200rpm when in town. Then would feel better at higher rpm ...makes sense as its leaner on the top end.
Just this past Monday i took it 2 1/2 hours away to the dyno guy...it ran just over 85hp and 98.9ftlbs torque. you want that torque and the ability to pass easily at highway speeds and 2 up with chit in the bags! It has more then it needs down low and I have excelliant reliability and longevity. Probably should have polished and ported the heads a bit but with 3 daughters and 2 in college my wallet is skinny.

I was surprised at the torque as I figured low 90's maybe mid if I was lucky.

Go for it, get her done. head work would help me a bit, no doubt. Guy said dont bother now, the gain isnt worth the cost$$ for me and he does the heads and boring etc in his shop. Many guys just go with the S&S5i0 or Andrews 26G and leave the jugs and heads alone. You'll feel the difference even doing that.

I love mine and disagree with the tech above! Where do you ride? On the streets or hiways?

Your results may differ a bit but will be good...I logged 47mpg on the way home at 72-75mph(120kph) with a 25 mph gusting side wind too.

Go for it, you wont be dissapointed.

Originally Posted by FinnGlide
Iīm going to have a 95 kit installed soon but am really lost with a cam choice, hope I would get some tips from here.(did a search and found some advice but still...)

06 Street Glide w/32k miles, SE air cleaner, SE mufflers, PCIII. Otherwise the bike is stock.

Kit to install: SE 95 kit(cast pistons), S&S gear drive set, stock heads will be ported. I now have S&S 510 cams available, but my mechanic said that he wouldnīt recommend those to my bike since they wake up at higher rpms and what I want is of course low to mid range power for a touring bike. So I kind of narrowed it down to Andrews 26 or 37(which the mech also said would be ok), but which one to choose has really made a mess of me, I can`t sleep, eat, drink, no, I actually drink a lot because of this and my boss is about to fire me and....

So which one should be a good choice, 26 or 37, I will be getting one of these Andrews cams since they are "kinda easy" to get here in Finland(I trust this mech and I will not take that S&S 510 as an option anymore), I want it to be a good touring engine,I weight around 150pounds and ride without passenger and usually when going for a roadtrip I have saddlebags full of gear(sometimes also luggage rack). I also use this bike for everyday riding to work. I have noticed that I usually never rev it over 4000rpm with my stock engine and althought if I get more power with 95 kit I donīt think I will be revving it to the redline either...

Last edited by salty01; 05-08-2009 at 01:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Tc88 to 95, which andrews,26 or 37?